Old 06-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #1  
Chubbles

Default What Phase of Atkins are you on?

I'm just wondering where everyone is at in their dieting journey. I started Induction on June 1 and am doing an extended induction, probably for the whole summer. Also, how long did you stay on induction?
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #2  
The Princess O' Pets

I stayed on induction for almost a year the first time, now I do a modifed Lc thing, not there is some Atkins in there, but mostly atkins plus "good carbs"
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #3  

Induction here, I have been on for 5 days and I feel fabulous I have no desire for any of my old favorites even mcdonalds which is crazy because I was soooo addicted to it, I feel very proud of myself I havent cheated at all and I am enjoying this healthy way of eating, my only complaint is I am the only one in my household following this woe so I am having trouble grocery shopping and cooking for my Dh and DD I am not at all tempted to eat what they eat so I am not worried about that, but its the financial strain. I buy stuff that will be aceptable to my woe but its a whole seperate grocery list,has anyone been there and figured out a way to make it work without going broke? I would love any advice or suggestions because I definitely am never going back to my previous woe! Thanks
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #4  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

Seein how I just started, Induction phase here as well.
Melissa70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #5  

Mom2 - If you are the shopper and cook at home, I say they should eat what you are fixing. Many people on this WOE make the meals for their families then add rice/potatoes/bread (makes something that wasn't your favorite - don't tempt yourself) for them. I mean, think about it: the protein item (fish/chicken/beef), veggies, salad - that is the makings of a very good and good-for-you meal that all the family should be eating. Just because your family members don't have a weight problem and desire to lose doesn't mean that they don't have bad eating habits.

Well, do what will work in your household. As far as the cost goes - since this WOE is a back-to-the-basics kind of thing I have found that it is cheaper than buying all those prepared, instant, packaged foods.

Kel
Ms Spotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

I'm back on induction (or trying for it. But strawberries aren't on that list). Kind of a modified induction
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #7  
The Princess O' Pets

I broke my addiction to Mcdonalds too, finally after years!! Ever since I watched the movie "super size me" I have never gone back there or to most fast food, if you want to be broken of eating fast food just watch it.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #8  

On my 2nd week of induction but I'm really tired. I can't wait until saturday..phase 2.
I'm guessing I'm tried because I can't really get in 20 carbs a day. I think I'll have to
get a advantage bar and have half to meet the 20 mark.

Mel
Sweetmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:53 PM   #9  

Hi Guys... Well, I've pretty much been on iduction or something similar to it since May 2nd... and I feel pretty good. I allow myself no more than 20 grams of carbohydrate, which I certainly can live with.

There certainly are some days where I eat a lot of food, and maybe even creep over that number of carb grams, but the following day... I usually do a one day "water-fast"... where I eat nothing and drink lots of water.

I don't reccomend everyone do this, but it certainly has worked well for me.

Good Luck!!!

DAVID (TEDDYBEAR)
Big_TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:00 AM   #10  
Baby Steps

Not sure I could (or would want to) do nothing but drink water all day. I don't have the self control for that for one thing. But it probably would do me good
Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #11  

Hi.. Like I said, I wouldn't reccomend this type of approach for everyone, but it just seems to do the trick for me.

I feel it gives me some degree of flexibility in that if there is a day where I eat more than I should or creep over my normal daily total, all is not lost because the following day I will do my water-fast. Actually... I do allow myself a few cans of diet soda along with the water.

It has been said numerous times and in many different places that skipping meals or going a whole day without eating will have major consequences with your metabolism shutting down etc....

I do understand this, however I have also read that it takes a little time for this to take effect and sense my fast is just for a day or a day and a half tops, I personally don't see any of that happening.

I'm sure if I went to a doctor, he or she would cringe at this approach, but when you have been stuffing yourself for years with hundreds and hundreds of grams of carbs and sugars every day... bagels with cream cheese washed down with hot chocolate. Sub sandwiches and chinese buffets where I would literally eat myself sick.... I will take this any day.

You certainly have to do what you have to do, and right now, at this point, I have found something I can live with, and feel pretty good about things during this WOE.

Thanks... I know I can ramble.... lol

DAVID
Old 06-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #12  
Baby Steps

Dang, wonder if that approach would kick start my weight loss again. I'd probably obsess over food though and then end up binging on everything in sight. How do you keep yourself from being hungry?? Does that make you MORE hungry the next day or does your hunger actually seem to shrink the next day??
Old 06-23-2005, 07:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I'm not on Atkins, I"m on Protein Power. On this plan, the initial phase is called Intervention and you are allowed up to 40 net carbs per day. You also have a minimum protein requirement per day. You stay on this phase until you get within about 20 lbs of your goal weight. I usually try to stay between 30-35 grams/day and I find it to be quite liveable. There are no restrictions on what you eat within those carb grams (except refined sugar products obviously) so you can eat fruit, or low carb tortillas, or whatever. I don't do the tortillas but I do eat berries.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #14  

Hi Brenda and all.... actually, to be honest with everyone here, I did something that I know the medical establishment would say is ridiculous, and I have taken lots of bullets from other weight-loss forums because of this so called "bizzare" and "unorthodox" approach.

I actually started my weight-loss journey with a week long water fast. Yes, that's right, I went one full week with consuming just water, an occasional diet soda and some vitamins and minerals.

The first day or two, was a little bit challenging, to say the least. I was hungry at times, but I just made up my mind that I would go at least 48 hours without food. I even felt a little weak at times. After all, I was used to eating well over 3000 calories a day, which most came from all kinds of starches and sugars.... it was a drastic change to say the least.

But... after the first couple of days, I felt fine. Now, I wasn't extremely active during this period, except for some basic slow walking but I noticed that I had no hunger, I felt mentally and physically good, and I knew I was breaking my obsession with food.

Now... following this water fast, which I'm sure I carried on a bit more than I should have, or at least, that's what everyone will tell me, I then began following a 20 gram maximum carbohydrate diiet.... and I have been doing this for about 7 weeks now.

One thing I have noticed, is that following my fast, I get full much quicker, which has helped me very much in dealing with appetite/hunger issues. Also... because I'm sure I am in a fairly moderate to deep level of ketosis, that will enhance the hunger supressing effects even more.

Again guys... This is what I DO. It has been working for me, and it certainly is nothing I would suggest to everyone or anyone for that matter.... But, since I was in a desperate situation after wasting many many years of my life trapped in a body that was not only terribly overweight, but led to a life of misery because I advoided anything and everything where my weight might be an issue. Jobs, sitting in certain seats... etc... I could go on and on here.

Anyway.... I am posting here to merely tell my story. If it's in the wrong forum, I apologize. It's just that I have found something I can live with.... and right now, that's really all that I have because I do feel I am making progress against the one thing that I have allowed to ruin my life.

Thanks for putting up with me.

DAVID

PS: I appreciate the support here... PMs are always welcomed.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #15  

One year ago next wek I started induction. After 3 weeks I increased my carbs to 25 and stayed on the veggie rung for about a month. Since then I've moved up the rungs and gradually added more carbs (averaging about 60 net carbs now).

For me, I wanted to add more variety into my meals and I wanted to add fruit and berries. My weight loss has slowed down, but I'm still losing (2 pounds down on Monday), and I have not felt at all deprived. This is something I can do for the rest of my life -- even if it takes another year to lose the last 15 to 25 pounds.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote