Old 12-20-2004, 05:59 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Question A Realistic Goal?

I am new to the whole Atkins thing and am wondering if losing 65 lbs starting Jan.1 and ending June1 is a realistic goal? A little over 10 pounds a month is what that equals to.

I understand that excercise is also important, so I plan to incorporate that as well.

Thanks!!!
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

Hi Sandy and welcome!!! Just remember that the closer you get to your goal weight the slower you will lose it. So 10 pounds might be more than can be expected. Even 5 pounds might be more than is realistic. And remember...there are stalls in between (sometimes) and then the whoosh. I'm no expert, but I'd say that no, 10 pounds is not realistic.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #3  

Hi Sandy,

I have to agree with Brenda. I don't think its very realistic. Healthy weight loss is only about 2 pounds per week or less (once you get past the initial water weight, its much harder to lose actual fat). Even if you were totally focused on your diet and exercised like mad, it still might not add up to 65 lbs by June, but you can definitely make TONS of progress by then.

Good luck!
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Sandy !!

I don't know if it is possible, I guess it could be, but do you plan on stopping atkins once you lose the weight ? I ask b/c if you do, your most likely gonna gain it back fast. The plan is not for short term, its really a WOE.

I also agree with the ladies, fast is not good for the body so becareful !

HUGS
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #5  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Sandy:

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I, too, thought of a specific weight by a specific date and was able to lose almost 50 pounds in 4 months. What happened? I never allowed myself to go over those 20 carbs per day and, therefore, never allowed myself to start getting used to "eating normally." Then, when the date came (and went), and the in-law's wedding was over, I fell apart and began eating. Mind you, I didn't start adding in carbs (good carbs), slowly and cautiously, but instead began a free-for-all eating frenzy. I was able to blame a lot of things -- pressure, chemo, anxiety, etc. But the fact was, that I had stuck to induction for 4 months and never thought ahead to the next phase.

Do yourself a favor: don't put such pressure on yourself. You are setting yourself up for ultimate failure and you will have worked too hard to do that to yourself? Accept each and every ounce you lose as medal, and don't think about the trophy. The total pounds don't matter a hoot if they end up sneaking themselves back onto your hips in the long run.
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:50 AM   #6  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Default Thanks!!

Paula...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have been doing a lot of thinking these past few days about how I really want to change my body and mindset and that it's just going to take time. I am a very impaitent person and the thought of it taking a good two years to have a healthy body just kills me but I know it's the best way to do it.

I also realize that cutting out ALL carbs is not the right way either. I think just eating healthy foods and not cheating, plus excercise is the best way.

Good luck with your challenge. I can't wait to see your befores and afters.
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #7  

Red face

Hi Paula... I am sort of in line with you on the weight loss / stopped atkins / gained weight back...

Dec 03 - I started at 227, and lost 23lbs then stalled for a bit whilst trying to introduce 'good carbs'.

In June 04 I discovered a breast lump and had to have surgery (thankfully benign). Basically.. my consultant / surgeon and my gp insisted I give up atkins and I did (it's still frowned on over in the uk by some).

Personally and emotionally I fell apart, It ended up that I ran back to chocolate and puddings to get me through my fear / diagnosis / operation and subsequent healing period.

So.. here I am back 1lb heavier (which thankfully I've now lost by cutting back) and starting back at low carbs (after new years dinner party). I am trying to get my fridge and cupboards back in gear, and will begin come **** or high water on the 2nd Jan.

So.. guess we're walking the same road you and I! At least we aren't alone!

Sandy - how did you get on in October? Did you manage a clean induction?
I must stay after only a 10lb loss and exercise I felt sooo much better physically and can't wait to be able to walk up hills again without puffing! Exercise and some weight loss will show results. And hopefully we'll all reach our goal weight (one day).
Good luck!
Purple Hugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #8  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Hugs:

I'm so happy for you that the lump turned out to be benign. My story is very much like yours. In the shorthand version: went in for a routine colonoscopy, found out I had cancer, underwent surgery, also fell apart emotionally, had one doctor tell me that Atkins probably contributed to my situation, and told me that "only an idiot would follow that diet." A few months down the line went in for my checkup, old doctor now deceased (geez, what plan was HE following?), new doctor gives me the thumbs up and informs me that following Atkins probably saved me in that I have the opposite reaction to constipation when on this plan. Anyway, cholesterol went WAY UP, but finally figured out that this was primarily due to not enough veggies, at least a cup of heavy whipping cream a day in my coffee (can you say "excess"?). Have learned many lessons and am glad to be back oln plan. Only 3 days and I feel so much better! I choose to look at my gain not as a failure but as a harsh way to learn my lessons.

Good luck to you!
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote