Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Define Skinny

This came to me after I read all your comments from the family picture thread. How do you define skinny? You all called me skinny....but I don't think I am. Yes, I'm skinNIER than I used to be. But I'm not skinny. My SISTERS are skinny. So how do we define skinny. And why do we define it that way? What caused us to think THAT was the definition of skinny.

I've always defined skinny as skinnier than me
Define Skinny
Ok. To me it'd be thighs not rubbing together.
Stomach not looking 3 months pregnant
Hips not blipping out over my pants
Butt not dimpled with fat.

Why do we define it that way? & What caused us to think THAT was the definition of skinny----the explanation runs together
Brought up in a family of skinny sisters (and even dad was skinny) and always put on a diet. So grew used to being the "fat" person in the family. So I judged myself by their looks.

Etc. There's more. Could go onto how size of clothes matter etc. But that's pretty much the gyst of it to me.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:01 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hmmmmmmmmm... the definition of skinny is BRENDA!!!
Shoot me later, I gotta get back to work
Sorry Brenda, I couldn't resist

Okay seriously....

Skinny is a word that is just stuck in my brain for lack of a better word.
Skinny in my mind just means thin, normal, healthy.

But now that I look at the definition, it isn't a great word to use.
1. very lean or thin; emaciated: a skinny little kitten.
2. of or like skin.
3. unusually low or reduced; meager; minimal: skinny profits.
4. (of an object) narrow or slender: a skinny bed.

Brenda, in my eyes, you are a picture of health, lean, strong (not fat)....PERFECT!!!!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #3  
Somethin's gotta give

Yeah, skinny is a weird word.....because it actually means a bad thing to me...it reminds me that whenever the DH see's model commercials on TV (like victoria secrets) he always yells "GET THAT WOMAN A CHEESEBURGER!!"

To me, a good kind of skinny...is a dance....it's that dance you do in front of your full length mirror in that outfit you havent gotten into for years....and even though you look silly, you just giggle at yourself instead of being disgusted.....
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:39 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

This summer I had bought a dress. It's not my normal type of dress and I bought it from Goodwill so I didn't spend a lot ( ) . But when I got home I was disappointed it didn't fit. It's shorter than I usually wear (Mid thigh!!!) and tighter. So why was I upset? Cuz I thought I was "skinny" enough to fit into it. I just tried it on again. lol. I don't look TOO bad in it--if you don't count the fact I can't zip it up But you know, I see what I look like W/OUT clothes on and it's like MAJOR EWW!!!
Then you get people like my sisters who ARE skinny (oldest has 4 kids. She's 40ish? and weighs maybe 100 pounds) and THEY'RE not happy with themselves either. So when am I going to say enough is enough and be happy with myself? Are we EVER happy with ourselves?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:30 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

We have to learn to be happy with ourselves, life is to short.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:39 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

Ah...and THAT is the crux of the matter right there. Learning to be happy with ourselves. Hard lesson for some (me).
Old 10-13-2004, 10:02 AM   #7  

What is skinny to me?

Skinny is a Victoria Secrets model. And like Marie's DH said "Get them a cheeseburger!" But that doesn't mean that I don't want to look like that. Now, I know I will NEVER look like them but I can look better than I do.
I will never be called SKINNY. I will be "just fine" or "look wonderful" but skinny is not a word that will ever be used to describe me.

That said.....back to those damn models. Why is it that they STILL define what we think of as the perfect body? I don't know about yours but my DH likes to look at them but he knows that they aren't real. He knows that in real life woman don't look like that. Doesn't mean he can't dream I'm also not saying that I think we should start to accomodate the ever growing in size population either. (please forgive me if that sounds harsh) I think the supersizing of America is getting out of hand. People don't have any self control and with them controlling how much we eat or WANT to eat it will never get better. If you see a small fry and a supersize fry next to each other which one do you want? Hmmmm?
I saw a woman at Walmart the other day and she was very heavy. I can understand a weight problem but when I saw her little girl next to her and she was heavy also, my heart broke then I wanted to get angry at the mother. I know there are some genetics going on but COME ON! That little girl doesn't stand a chance. Her mother isn't eating well and is not teaching her to eat well either. I am assuming all of this by the way from just waiting in line next to her

so....skin'ny adj. emaciated; thin

I am shooting for ........thin adj. 1. of relatively little extent from side to side 2. lean; slender 3. not dense or compact

jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:52 PM   #8  
Somethin's gotta give

You know what jane- I think they look good too even though I KNOW that isnt attainable for most people...and I like to dream -lol...but ( and I wouldnt even say this if I hadn't heard it from DH without him not knowing I was within ear shot) He refers to those woman as "scrawny ***"...but whenever I get my Lane Bryant catalog, THOSE are the women he will comment on.....THATS his idea of a woman....I think he's reincarnated from the rubenesque era!
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

DH married me when I was a size 8 (weighed 120 on our wedding day). Now he's seen me at my heaviest. Claims it makes no difference to him my size. Lie? I don't know if it is or not. To me it doesn't matter. I have to be comfortable in my own skin. I'm getting better...but not quite there yet. Have issues yet.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:54 PM   #10  

I sware men go through life with blinders on! One minute they tell us we look fine and that it doesn't matter to them how heavy we are and then the next thing you know some skinny *** woman with big boobs walks by and they get wiplash!

Well which is it fellas?
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Men are visual animals for sure, just cause they look at a thin woman doesn't mean they are in love with them. I do believe them when they say they love us for how we are. Bottom line is I think they just want us healthy and happy, cause if Mama ain't happy than NOBODY'S HAPPY!!! Ain't it the truth boss !!!

We really can't blame them for looking, its in the beasts nature. You mean to tell me that you don't look at a good looking guy and say, whoah, now thats a stallion I'd like to tame? Sure we do, we just don't make fools of ourselves and make it known, we are much more safisticated (how the **** do you spell that???) animals

Did you ever hear the expression that men use..... Yeah I'd take her out, but I wouldn't bring her home to Mama

I'd rather be the kind they'd wanna take home to Mama

Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 AM   #12  
Baby Steps

I'd rather be the kind they'd wanna take home to Mama

How come we can't be BOTH???