Old 06-03-2004, 11:31 AM   #16  

Oops, I have one more thing to add. My attitude toward food has definitely changed. Especially when staying OP. Now, I'm hardly ever tempted to cheat, and if I'm going to cheat, I always ask myself it it's worth it. Is it worth it to stall, is it worth it to go up a pound or two. And, when I do go off program, it's got to be a pretty good treat, like gourmet, for me to do it. I guess my whole food outlook has finally changed, or in the changing process. That makes it much easier.

Thanks for all the chick support. You guys are really great!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #17  
Head Princess

Thanks for making me cry, Kerri!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #18  

Sorry! At least something positive has come from it. I really think a lot of our success must come from attitude. You can either let a bad situation drag you down, or you can pull yourself up and become stronger.

I think we're all of the stronger bunch around here!
Old 06-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #19  
Head Princess

Don't you dare be sorry! I was serious when I said thank you. I love a good cry. Very cleansing
Old 06-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #20  

Thanks, me too. Just better at home than work.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #21  
Head Princess

Awwwwww, where's your sense of mischief? Crying at work can be fun. People get all concerned and tiptoe around you all day.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #22  
Baby Steps

OH I totally agree with leaving the pain behind. I was constantly PMS'ing (or was it pre-menopause?). It seemed I was never in a good mood. I ALWAYS hid (when possible) when pictures were taken. Now that I've lost weight I'm a little more self confident (and for ME that's saying A LOT), my moods aren't so bad (well, I don't think so. DH might) and I'm actually enjoying this WOE. There are days lately (coming off a high carb weekend) that I miss some things I could eat before. I think Dr. Atkins came up with the most brilliant way to lose weight that works for a LOT of people!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #23  

Star, maybe I should try that crying thing at work! I've been bombarded all day. I might actually get some of my stuff done if I shed a few in front of people!

Or, maybe I'll just hang my "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door... Less dramatic, won't have to explain later.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:05 PM   #24  
Head Princess

If you do it right, they're too afraid to ask
Old 06-03-2004, 06:54 PM   #25  

How does all that mischief fit in such a tiny little package? You're too fun!
Old 06-04-2004, 01:12 AM   #26  
Look at me go ;)

Well, for me I guess I just got tired of being sick and tired of being fat. I have been overweight all my life and I finally just got disgusted enough with myself to quit whining and do something about it. It's not fair that we don't have a family portrait after 3 years just because I don't want to look at my fat face in it. It's not fair to my son to miss out on doing things with me because I can't get up and do them. It's not fair to my Dh to hear me put myself down everytime he tries to compliment me, or hide myself away from him because I am ashamed. Finally, it's not fair to me to loathe and disgust myself over something that I can fix! I let myself get this way and damnit I can get myself out of it. I'm tired of being depressed and thinking people are looking at me and laughing every time I am out in public. I never even GO OUT anymore because of it. Dh and I have NO friends because god forbid they ask us to do something involving any type of physical activity. Not to mention when you don't feel good about yourself, who wants to feel good about you either? I want people to see me, the REAL me. I don't need a shield of fat to hide behind anymore. I am tired of being afraid to show my true, fun, spunky self to people and using fat as an excuse to be bitter and hide it. Bad things happened growing up and I used fat to make myself unattractive to people. I wanted NO ONE looking at me or noticing me. It's time for that to end.

I can't control everything in life to be happy, but I can damn sure control this and if I can do this, than chances are anything else isn't going to seem so hard either.

SO as you can see, I am still in my "moment". I am just sick of it all and have realized that nobody is going to fix it but me and I am not going to be happy until I DO fix it. There is no pill, there is no "I'll lose it later". Now is now and at 23 years old, I should feel like it! Not like I'm 53. (which isn't a bad age or anything, I just want to feel it when I'm actually there. )

Last edited by Cinnymamma; 06-04-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:48 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Ok, I'm going to give this another shot and copy it before I commit

I have been going through years of infertility and this past August was finally quasi-diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I read up on it and found out that a low-carb diet was the recommended approach.

At the time I didn't start right away, because the DR gave me medication. Well, then I lost my 3rd child and went into depression mode again. So, I realized that for the last 3 years that is what had happened to me. I lost 60 pounds about 5 years ago. After that I finally became pregnant only to lose that first one...After this loss and 7 years of infertility we decided to adopt and I have 2 beautiful boys!! However, this loss began a vicious cycle and after each lost I would gain a little more back. Finally After the 3rd loss last August I decided my children needed me to concentrate on me and not a natural child. I needed to let go of the depression and the obsession. So in September I began aerobics twice a week and at the end of October (after surgery) I began Atkins. It has helped in so many ways. I have obviously lost the weight... But also amazingly I've become somewhat of an athlete. My children are happy to work out with me...which just makes me smile. Before we all would just sit around the TV! Not to mention, unfortunately I suffered another loss in April. And while I was very sad, I didn't take near the dive I did before. I am truly thankful for all of your support. I'm struggling right now with keeping on track, but I know I'll get back...I have to I have some races to complete in the next few months.

Ok, enough! I am enjoying the opportunity to get to know each of you a little better.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #28  

Wow you guys, what struggles. What strong women. It's so nice to have a place to share and encourage!

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:47 PM   #29  
tjw

Star,
Great topic, and oh so true about losing PAIN as well as POUNDS!
I owe my sister all the thanks in the World---SHE was my motivation to do this! She *HAD* to lose weight as a liver function test was off kilter and she was heading towards 'fatty liver disease' (?). She and my BIL both started Aktins July '03...I was so impressed and amazed at the results in just a month's time, that I made the plunge August 8, '03. My Mom lives with me, so we BOTH started it.
I also had just started a new job August 1, '03, and THAT made such an improvement in my life by itself---finally a great job, an incredibly wonderful boss, and essentially I feel no stress in this job WHATSOEVER! For the first time in God only knows how long in my life, I was feeling very good and happy! So, between the job change, and my sister's progress, I finally felt up to doing something about the weight...New job/new attitude + mild sibling rivalry of me not wanting to become the fattest of the family EQUALS= 53.5 pounds gone thus far...Also, being slapped in the face when I saw a picture from April/May '03 of me on one of friend's horses seeing how disgustingly even BIGGER I'd gotten, and getting on a scale for the first time in about a year having that horrific "246" glowering at me played a BIG part in "waking me up"!
I think we've all lost "around 50 +/- pounds" so far. I have been "stuck" since I hit my low back in early April, and have bouncing around about 5 lbs up & back down since then...but, I've been adding back in some carbs, good and bad ones too I'll admit it! I'm ok with "sitting here" for a little while---I mean, I took off 18 years worth of accumulated weight in just under 8 months! I'm not beating myself up about the 'lull' or fretting/worrying about it. I figure 'the bod' needs time to adjust to it's new form before pushing onward and downward further! The rest will come off, all in time...I've got about 50 more to go to arrive where I think I want to be...
I'll say for all of us that should think "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" ALL of us here have done what we we surely thought was impossible, and I'm so very proud of everyone (and blatantly, unashamedly proud of MYSELF, lol as we all should be!) I think probably the biggest key is getting your MIND right first...the body will then follow...kind of like "nobody can love you until you love yourself", if that makes sense...I guess with me it was all just that finally "things fell into place" for me finally, and I just "ran with it"! So, now I'm just leisurely strolling along and enjoying the journey, not worrying about when I'll get there...Y'all don't forget that---don't WORRY about/over it, just ENJOY every step getting there!

Last edited by tjw; 06-07-2004 at 07:54 PM.
tjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:54 PM   #30  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

My turn around point was when my Pulmonologist asked to see pictures of my children....He looked at them and said how beautiful they were - and then as he handed them back to me he held them tight in his hand so that I was forced to look up at him. He said "So how many more years do you want to live for them?". I broke down sobbing. I left his office that day last July and began my low carb life. Even though I struggle at times I am pleased that I can continually re-focus on this way of eating and not drop the ball completely.
Kim in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote