Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default I'm FURIOUS!!

Ok. It's towards the end of the year and I REALLY dislike making enemies of teachers and stuff. But THIS teacher is really burning my butt!! This is the 2nd time that my youngest DD has told her she hasn't felt well and this is the 2ndtime I haven't been called. She came home, was feverish (took her temp. 101.9!!!!), cold, eyes glassy and you could tell by looking at her alone that she wasn't well. Why the wasn't I called??? Needless to say I just fired off an email to the lady. Told her I could understand IF Kayle didn't tell her she wasn't feeling well. BUT Kayle DID tell her that her throat and her ear (according to Kayle anyway. But my God, just LOOKING at the child anyone with brains would know she wasn't well!!!) hurt...the teacher just told her to go get a drink. Oh heck just SHOOT me before I start to REALLY get into this!

Thanks for letting me rant.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #2  
Somethin's gotta give

She should have sent her straight up to the office for a temp check....I'd be pissed too- whenever my kids say they dont feel well, I shoot them right up there......When Dale was in 1st grade a kid pushed him into a tree before school...he cried the whole day and they kept him there....he rode the bus home and walked a half mile to his house....he had a broken collarbone.
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

I've NEVER had my kids get sick at school before. Then again, if THIS is how they handle sick kids no wonder!! And I'm debating whether to take this up w/the principal. True, my DD SHOULD have gone straight to the office (during her foray to the bubbler)....but if you're feverish and sick you're not thinking straight and she's....well....what's the word??? BLONDE! (No offense to the other blondes. My DD is a candidate for all the blonde jokes!!!)
Old 05-19-2004, 06:16 PM   #4  

I would definately have words with the teacher and the principal. That's just not right.

One of my daughters is the Poster Child for the blonde jokes!

Last edited by morti; 05-19-2004 at 06:18 PM.
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:39 PM   #5  
Baby Steps

OMG. Yours too? I didn't think anyone but my daughter could be like that
Old 05-19-2004, 07:01 PM   #6  
The Princess O' Pets

I was at school a whole day once when i was in Jr. High with a broken hand, they just told me to put ice on it. Then mom ended up taking me to the emergency room.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 07:38 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

What is it with schools? Whatever happened to whatever's best for the child???
Old 05-20-2004, 11:33 AM   #8  
Total Sass Bucket

They started basing how much money a school gets for funding on attendance AND they started getting irritated phone calls from parents about bothering them at work.

Honestly, the parents don't want to take care of the kids. They want them to stay in school so they don't have to take a day off of flipping work. Oh, and I stopped doing courtesy calls about d's or f's a looooooooooong time ago after I got yelled at so many times for BOTHERING people! WHAT IS THAT?
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #9  
Somethin's gotta give

Im the same way Rhonda....I send out progress reports...only if a kid is getting an F after that do I send a letter home....If I dont hear from parents after the progress report then I don't keep contacting them.....we have about 40% of our kids failing ( technically) and parents want to blame us, but I cant even get most of them to show up to conferences....but I always make sure a sick child gets looked at....
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #10  
Total Sass Bucket

Oh yeah, me to. I don't want them breathing on me!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

These people know me enough to know I'll take off for ANY reason my child is sick/hurt.

I'm no longer po'd (much). She did apologise and she also said Kayle did NOT tell her she NEEDED to go home. Just that she wasn't feeling well. Um, DUH?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:02 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh yeah, I'd go farther up the line and report it. God forbid something happen to your daughter. This is realy unexcusible.

I remember in High School running around the track and falling, I got up and my knees were a bloody mess and I had gravel stuck in my knee. I sware, the teacher wouldn't let me go to the nurse. To this day I have black scars across my knee caps.

Report it !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 05:26 PM   #13  
The Princess O' Pets

I agree report it, getting mad cause of calling in for a conference and a child being ill is 2 WAAAAAAY different things, and the treachers should call not because "they dont want the kids breathing on them" but because it is in the best interests of the child you have been entrusted with and your school who could get sued if the child was seriously ill or they could be seriously ill enough to get other kids ill. Yes I agree enough parents don't want to take off work and don't take enough stock in their children's education.

2 things teachers should rememeber:
If a parent is mad at you because you are calling about a conference and or sickness then you have to present to them in a way that says I am doing you a favor, and keeping you childs best interests at heart, so parents may not budge but 1 or 2 will and it will be a reminder to them to keep an eye out an take stock, isn't it worth it is you reach those few parents, you would miss them if you never called.

Human nature always makes people blame when they feel like they are doing a bad job, they know they are not paying enough attention...when you call, it is a reminder & they blame it is not really directed at you, they feel bad but 1 of them might change their ways because of your call!

Yes there are good parents and bad parents, but to the outside a good parent could look like a bad parent.... meaning you may think that they are doing a bad job and not paying attention from the outside, they may be just doing what they have to do to survive.....parents make choices everyday that may not be easy for their family but is just "something they have to do" You may think that they are just not caring but maybe they care so much they work 3 jobs to make ends meet and yes that is not always great for your kids or convenient for the teachers but you do what you gotta do. Ask my mom she raised 3 girls all by herself and worked 3 jobs, and ask my sister she is raising 2 boys all by herself works and goes to college full-time.

Just my 2 cents
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #14  
Total Sass Bucket

I apologize for the breathing comment, I was trying to be funny. Obviously I failed. I also in no way meant that I do not care for my students deeply. I call them my kids, I do whatever I can for them.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #15  
Baby Steps

I'm not sure what is going on. According to the teacher..she DID ask Kayle if there was anything she could do to help her. Kayle said no. She DID think that Kayle looked a little peaked....but Kayle was running around and behaving normally so she didn't follow through. Miscommunication and bad judgment on both their parts. And she DID apologise. THAT to me goes a long way. So nope, no reports being filed. IF she had said some lame excuse I WOULD have, but this teacher IS nice and I was actually surprised by this.