Old 03-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #1  
heyboygetasweaterrightnow

Default questions about induction

hi, i just registered so i don't know anybody but hopefully somebody can help me out

i started induction a few days ago, and i read in the book that you are supposed to stay away from convenience foods such as the low carb shakes and bake mixes and things like that. i was just wondering what the particular reason was and if it would matter that i eat them as long as i count the carbs per serving and keep track and stay under 20.

also, my blood sugar has been low since starting and i have been eating regular meals. its been running around 60 which makes me feel dizzy and light headed. i was wondering if induction would still be effective if i upped the carbs to maybe 30 a day instead of 20.

thank you so much!
modestmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:55 PM   #2  
Mouth of the South

Welcome It's good to have you here!
I really don't have an answer for you on either question, but if you call 1-800-6-Atkins they can answer any question you may have. They are there M-F 8-5 Eastern time. The website is really informative too. Good luck, and come back again
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:56 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

During induction you're supposed to stay on the induction food list only. It's supposed to break your carb addiction. As for being weak? I believe that is also a symptom of the first few days of induction. You might want to check out the FAQ here for more information on induction.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:48 PM   #4  

thanks guys
Old 03-20-2004, 09:04 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

That's what we're here for. Support
Old 03-20-2004, 09:52 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 6"

HI Modest,
I noticed that when I started Atkins I was dizzy as well. It was because I wasnt getting enough carbs, I was hanging around 10g or so. Once I started including more veggies (which was the hardest part for me, I am NOT a veggie person) and raised my intake up to 15 - 20 the dizziness ceased. I was getting my carbs mostly from cheese and odds and ends like coffee etc. I don't know what your eating habits are, but are you eating an adaquate amount of vegetables?
Also you should stay away from shakes and such on induction because this is the time our carb addictions are being broken. You don't want the added grams from things like this and they have been known to slow people in weight loss. I didn't try my first "Atkins Muffin" until I was on induction for 1 month... surprisingly enough I didn't lose any weight that week
Hoped this helped a bit.. and feel free to jump in and ask questions anytime. This board is extremely helpful and supportive. Good luck to you!
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #7  

Hi Modest!!! Like you, I am a newbie to Atkins and to the group!! Welcome.

The first week on Atkins I felt horrible. I was weak, tired and dizzy. I had horrid headaches on days two and three. Then on day eight, I woke up without need for an alarm clock at 6:25. My clock is set for 6:30. I have more energy than I have had in MONTHS and feel good. My skin on my face is starting to clear up a bit. I feel thirsty all the time and realized I am not getting enough water. My keto strips barely show ketosis since I am taking in too much Splenda and herbal tea and not enough water!!! I keep a food journal and am going to start posting it in my journal on here to help me watch what I eat and drink more closely. Since starting Atkins I have lost from 252 to 241. I weighed in at my doctors on 3/10 at 252. I adjusted my scale to match here. I started Atkins on 3/12 and on 3/15 had lost a LOT of water weight. This week I have not lost as much since I started drinking too much tea and coffee (decaf but add up the cream and Splenda and I have found what can keep me out of ketosis!!).

If you have been diagnosed with diabetes or have low blood sugar problems, talk to your doctor. A friend of mine has successfully lost weight on Atkins but I believe her doctor modified it a bit for her because of her diabetes. If you are healthy and just feel bad, understand that is perfectly normal. Some people feel bad for a day or two. I felt bad for a week.

Avoid convenience foods and shakes and such for 2 reasons:
1. Induction is about getting you off carbs and into ketosis where your body is burning fat. Shakes, low carb products and anything with sugar alcohols can throw you out of ketosis.
2. Atkins is about relearning how to eat. If I remember the book correctly, Dr. Atkins wants you to learn how to eat fresh foods and meats that do not have chemicals, addictives or phosphates in them. This is not only good for you weight wise but health wise. Once you are finished with Induction, having the occasional treat or a quick meal via shakes and bars is fine. However, Atkins cautions in his book about making these a typical part of your daily diet. Atkins is more than just weight loss. It's about eating healthier to improve your overall health and wellbeing too!!

Good luck!!! I am liking Induction and now that I have figured out my stalls am looking forward to another wonderful week on it!!
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:27 AM   #8  

thank you guys! i have been on induction for about 5 days and have lost about 5 pounds. i am eating a few more carbs than 20 just because my blood sugar stayed sooo low. i do eat veggies because before atkins i was a vegetarian i have also been eating some convenience foods such as low carb yogurt, but not too often and it doesn't seem to be hurting as of yet. but if it does, i'll know what to cut out. i haven't been diagnosed with any sugar problems, but i do seem to be feeling better so maybe my body just had to adjust i am really satisfied with the progress so far. before atkins i was just trying to eat low calorie, and i was not eating enough (right at 800 cals a day). so that combined with atkins, i have lost a total of 13 pounds so far. but at least now i can eat when i'm hungry, haha!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #9  
Baby Steps

Congrats on the weight loss and glad to hear you're feeling better!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #10  

thanks a lot
Old 03-24-2004, 05:33 PM   #11  
Erica

I'm also new here. I just started Monday on Atkins. I haven't been dizzy or anything. So far I've lost 5 lbs. I'm sure this is just water weight but it sure feels good to get on the scale and see that I've lost something. The only problem I'm having is staying away from the sugar.
Ericad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 06:13 PM   #12  
Head Princess

That's not a small problem! May I suggest that you read the FAQ in the stickies at the top of the forum? Lots of good stuff in there!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 07:50 PM   #13  
Erica

Thanks! I've done pretty well today. I just keep telling myself that the sugar is no good and if I want the body I have to give it up.
Ericad is offline   Reply With Quote