Old 03-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Scared

Ok, for the past couple weeks I've been thinking, I'm getting closer to goal. 16 (or 17 this week) pounds from the highest weight I would want to settle at (22 if I want the lowest of 125 pounds). So I've been thinking it might be time to add more things in. But I'm actually afraid to. I mean, I'm secure in this level because I pretty much know what I can and can't eat. I know anything chocolate I've been having isn't on the induction list--but I'm working on that one. I'm afraid if I go to the next level and losen up some of the eating habits I'll go overboard (kind of like I did a few weeks ago--for 3 weeks) and not lose anything. And that's not the object of the next level right?
So any advice????
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #2  
The Princess O' Pets

I am going to stay how I am eating until i get to goal then I will loosen a little. That is what i decded for me. You don't have to add right now if you don't feel comfortable.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #3  

Brenda: If you are getting bored you could start adding in about 5 grams per week like for OGWL and see how you do. I, like Theo'sgirl am staying on 20 per day until I hit 145.

Maybe you could just have a "higher carb day".
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #4  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Well, I would say "read the book again" and add ONE thing in and see how you do. If you just stay on induction until you reach your goal, you're not really learning how to eat for the rest of your life... you're just eating to lose weight.

I know it is a concept that is hard to grasp when you've battled a weight issue for several years.... but you will want to learn how to eat to MAINTAIN your weight.

Read all of the phases and you will see how Dr. Atkins slowly reintroduces healthy foods - grains and fruits included - so you can slowly learn what your tolerance level really is. You may be able to eat as many as 80 or 180 carbs a day and not GAIN the weight back IF those carbs are healthy as in whole grains and fruits and veggies. Even a baked potato isn't ALL bad if you eat the skin (Gasp! I can hear the the cries now!)

Just my $.02 worth...
StorybookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Oh, Brenda, I'm right there with you. I'm 14 pounds away from my 'high' goal of 125 or 19 from my ultimate 120 goal. So now I'm trying to learn how to maintain. So here's what I'm trying.

Be bold. I'm very aware of my semi-hostile relationship with food as well as the fact that I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of girl. So I'm working on a different kind of control. Instead of worrying all the time about what I eat, I'm paying far more attention to how I eat. What triggers me? What do I eat without thinking about or enjoying it? When do I finally stop eating?

I've started eating the ZCarb bars once in a while because I'm historically no good with control when it comes to sweets. But, I don't eat the whole bar (even though it's only 4 carbs counting the sugar alcohols). Instead, I eat half and then put it away.

I also made a list. (big big list person, here). On one side I put all the good, whole foods that I can eat as long as I'm moderate about it. It includes berries, melon, the occasional apple, orange, nectarine, whole wheat bread or pasta, a REAL beer (Guinness)..... you get the picture. On the other side are the things that I am committed to not eating - ever. Things like white bread, an extra value meal, potato chips, refined sugar, white rice....etc.

I'm thinking that's the key. Understand portion control and have a very clear resolve about what you will and will not allow into your body. At least that's what I'm focused on right now.

Let me know what you end up doing. Moving from losing to maintaining is a little strange. I've never gotten this far before!!!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:27 PM   #6  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Ooo, Star, I am going to make a list like that. Can I copy you???

Except for the beer part - can't stand the stuff. IF I am going to drink something with alcohol, I prefer a Mike's Hard Cranberry... or really good champagne. :P
Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #7  
Head Princess

Copy away! I'm really a wine, scotch, or vodka girl, but every once in a while I just want a good, chewy beer!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #8  
Each Bite of Sugar...

You and my dh - he likes a good chewy beer once in a while, too. LOL! That is a great description.

I tried vodka, but couldn't get past the antiseptic smell... so it stayed in the little bottle and did not go in my mouth. Blech. I do like a good sweet wine once in a while, though, but we stopped having it in the house because dh is anaphylactic to it now...

But, I drink something with alcohol about twice a year... lately a little more because I'm finally not pg or breastfeeding. LOL!! Once I get pg again, off I will go for another few years. Wow!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:55 PM   #9  
Head Princess

Funny you should mention that since pg is what I'm really scared of! DH and I want to have a munchkin or two, but I'm now terrified of undoing all my hard weight loss work. I'm trying to counter it with lots of exercise since I'm told that it's much easier to get your body back if you stay in shape. But still - scary!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #10  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Well, this thread has changed topic, but let me tell you. You CAN stay "controlled carb" while being pg and it will help you. Don't be scared of it - really... you already have control of your eating and as long as you continue with that throughout pregnancy, your weight will just go back to normal or very close to it. At least that is the theory.

But, you won't completely undo it because you've already gotten over the biggest hurdle - controlling your eating. I lost weight while pregnant because I was so sick all the time and then didn't gain more than 10 pounds total until the day before she was born and I started retaining tons of water... so that doesn't count.

You would have to eat some fruits and veggies to keep it balanced and DEFINITELY take a good prenatal vitamin but other than that, Atkins Maintenance phase is just fine... I was allowed 15 carbs (any carbs) per snack/meal eating 5 small meals a day and it worked GREAT for me. 15 carbs sounds like a lot to an Atkins person, but it isn't when you're pg.

I was also addicted to milk while pg. Couldn't get enough and then had to stop cold turkey after 28 weeks when I was dx'd with GD. That was the hardest part.

Okay, enough about me. You'll do great at pg, I'm sure.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:20 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

Just the thought of going to the next phase is weird. I'm actually ok with the way I eat right now. Most people would think it's boring. But I've never been an adventurous eater anyway. I'm not fond of spaghetti. Pizza's ok, but I'd much rather have a hamburger. And I don't miss the bun. I DO miss an occassional sandwich. But not to the point that I want to spoil what I've done. I don't miss the chocolate candy bars on the market, or the chips. Ok, occassionally I want something I can crunch. But the only time I really seem to have a problem with the way I eat is when TOM comes around. That week it's like I've GOT to have chocolate. It's one reason I've looked into the low carb recipes. Found the brownies and the chocolate whipped stuff. Is it bad to want those just a couple times a month? As long as the rest of the 95% of the time I'm on program?

I think I'll stay on induction for a few more weeks (or month). I want to see what happens after TOM leaves. I want to see if more weight drops off. But I do plan on eating different veggies (boiled broccoli and cauliflower instead of my usual salad). And I plan on adding sausages to my breakfast of eggs. Still allowable stuff, just see if I can tolerate changing my menu w/out throwing me into a tizzy. lol
List. hm. I'll have to work on that!!! I'll let you know how that one turns out!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 08:33 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Star, don't be afraid of getting preggy, the end result is sooo worth it I gained 45 lbs with my daughter and lost 38 in about 6 weeks, its a weird weight, if you tackle it right away, it seems to drop like water. At least for me it did. I would suggest eat normally, lots of veggies, fruits and healthy choices and you'll be just fine. Unless there is something medically wrong, I don't think and this is my opinion, women should diet while they are pregnant. The body calls for all sorts of things (cravings) and you should listen to them (okay not the banana split or bags of chips, although fun lololol) you know what I mean. Babies need lots of folic acid and all sorts of stuff AND while they grow inside you they rob your body of nutrients, so just eat. Its only a few months of your life that will pave the way for your baby for the rest of their lives. Your doctor will be the one to advise you anyway.

Now how did I blow up like a blow fish, it was the getting up all hours of the night, thats when I did damage, I started picking, one feeding for the baby, one for mama... OY!

Brenda,
My hubby reached his goal, what he did was go a few pounds below his goal and add things slowly back in, once he was at his weight (his actual goal) he knew what he needed to eat.

Get this.... now that he's at goal, he watches like a hawk all week and on weekends he pigs out at night, yup b/4 bed he eats like an entire bag of chip ahoys, no lie. He jumps right back on the band wagon on Monday and poof the water weight he gained from the weekend is gone. He's in heaven lol.. Me WAAAH!!! lolol I get to watch and drool heheheheheheheeeee.

You'll do just fine, and congratulations to everyone for being so close...bravo my hero's.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

I'm not even as close as you guys and I'm scared!!! I actually was doing kind of a semi-induction. I was allowing myself some berries and nuts. I've still been losing, but stalled in the last week or so. I'm back on strick induction now. I like Star's idea of a good and bad list (I'm a list person too). I also second someone else's remark...go back and read the book. I decided to go back to strict induction to get past this stall (probably not really a stall since I get on the scale WAY too much). So, anyway, I picked up the book again this week. I can't believe how long it has been since I've read it...there are parts I dont even remember reading!!

Good luck to you. Keep us posted, because we will all be there one day!!!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 AM   #14  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPrincess
Funny you should mention that since pg is what I'm really scared of! DH and I want to have a munchkin or two, but I'm now terrified of undoing all my hard weight loss work. I'm trying to counter it with lots of exercise since I'm told that it's much easier to get your body back if you stay in shape. But still - scary!
Star - I have to tell you this story.

When I was Pregnant with my first child, I was so good about my diet. The doctor gave me a poster I had on my fridge about what were good foods to eat and the amount of vitamins and minerals I should watch that I was eating in addition to my suppliment.

Well I was so sick the first 5 months I couldnt hold food down for the life of me. My doctor was gone after the 1st visit because hse had surgery and then her hubby died. THe Midwife inthe office was very Anti-meds and would not give me ANYTHING for the nausea and told me it was all in my head. then at 5 months I thought I was having a heartattack at firs, but I was with some experienced moms at the time that told me it was "gas" LOL.
The next day I still really sore and called the office and was thrilled to hear my doctor was back. she took the phone, listened to my symptoms and sent me to have an ultrasound. I had a gallbladder attack! So I was put on a VERY VERY strict diet. Following that diet to a "T" I ended up comeing home from the hospital after Tyler was born weighing in at 25 pound LESS than I did when I got pregnant!

I wish I would have followed that with #2!

So what I am trying to say is that if you eat properly for the baby and what your doctor tells you if your blood work shows some abnormalities, you wont have a problem! Truely!
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #15  
Head Princess

You guys are great! DH and I are planning on buying our first house this year (hopefully). It's a prerequisite to having children in my book. So assuming that works out, I'll probably be pregnant next year. I'm definitely going to need the advice of all you experienced mommies.