Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #1  
Head Princess

Default Dateline special on Atkins coming up

Just in case you didn't know, Dateline is going to be doing an hour-long special on Dr. Atkins and the controversy surrounding this WOE this Sunday. Check your listings!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #2  

Thanks for the heads up Star.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

I'll definitely have to check it out. Then again...if it says something bad then hubby'll want me to stop doing this.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #4  
Head Princess

Historically, Dateline has always been pretty fair.

For those of you interested in history or religion, the second hour of Dateline that night is on the last days of Christ.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #5  
Total Sass Bucket

I'll try to give it a watch but I'm not sure I even remember how to turn my TV on these days. lol
Old 02-18-2004, 06:24 PM   #6  
Movin' and Losin'

Thanks for the info, Star. You're right -- Dateline is always pretty fair. And, a bonus about the last days of Christ! Can't wait.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:06 PM   #7  
The Princess O' Pets

Sounds like it is gonna be a good show!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 AM   #8  
Baby Steps

I just got done reading an article on Mel Gibson and he was talking about the movie he directed and all the controversy around it. He said even the Pope (don't ask me the number behind him cuz I don't remember it. lol) said it was pretty realistic. So does that mean people just don't want to BELIEVE?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:51 AM   #9  
Head Princess

I suppose that not everyone agrees with the pope on the matter. For me, I stay outta that kind of stuff, but I think it would be interesting to see for historical reasons. The discovery channel has a series that takes different things from the bible and analyzes them. Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Brenda, from everything I have seen and heard I don't think the controversy around this movie is bec people don't believe that it is accurate. I think the controversy is really bec it is suppose to be an accurate scriptural account and because it is suppose to be very moving, powerful and life changing! Everything I have read about it says that it is a life changing movie and I think that scares the daylights out of some people!

The controversy I keep hearing thrown out is that it makes the Jewish people look bad, and that is not at all what this movie is about!!!!

Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-19-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:39 AM   #11  
Movin' and Losin'

I completely agree, Cathy! It's not any one group of people responsible for Christ's death -- we're all responsible. It's not like Mel Gibson set out to make the Jewish people look bad -- he is just portraying what took place. I personally cannot wait to see this movie!
Old 02-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Atkinites!

Did anybody watch Dateline last night? I thought it was an interesting show, nothing really new, but it is sure is sad the way Dr Atkin's widow is having to defend Dr Atkins and his plan.

They did mention something that I was asking about - the 6 month mark. They were saying that compared to other diets that people seemed to lose better and faster the first 6 months on atkins, but that after 6 months it seemed to level off and have the same weightloss as other diets??? what do ya'll think?

hope everyone is well today,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-21-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #13  
it's always something

I watched it, I was hoping to learn something new. But I agree, it was the same old thing, and a lot of "We don't know"s. I've heard about the 6 month mark as well, though this was the first time I'd heard about it being 6 months, as the other studies showed shorter periods. Previous studies have shown that low carb and low fat and/or low calorie result in about the same amount of weight loss over a given period, though the low carb diet results in an initial weight loss faster, then it levels off, and in the end, all groups lost equally. The same studies also show that of those that regain the weight, the low carb group regains it faster than the low fat group. Seems strange, doesn't it.

The only thing remotely interesting about the program was the study on low carb foods and how accurate their labels were. It was impressive that the Atkins brand products were very true to their labels, but not surprising at all that other brands were so far off base. We had recently reported the news about Low Carb Emporium bagels that claimed 15 carbs, but actually had a whopping 55 carbs per bagel. It reminded me of the episode of Seinfeld, where the gang was loving fat free yogurt from some new yogurt stand, and everyone was eating it - and gaining weight. Then they found out it was loaded with fat, anyone remember that?
Old 02-21-2004, 04:20 PM   #14  
Movin' and Losin'

I watched the show, too. Or caught part of it, anyway. I didn't realize it was going to be on Friday.

I agree with you guys that it wasn't anything new. I, too, found the actual carb counts of the low-carb foods interesting. I can understand on the restaurants not being exactly what they say because it could be a different person preparing it each time. But, on the packaged products... WOW! Some were double the amount of carbs they claimed to be. That's scary. Thank goodness I don't eat too many of those products, if ever!

Another interesting point: They claimed that to get the actual net carb count it's (total carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols = net carbs). No mention of the danger of sugar alcohols. I just hope everyone does their research before starting Atkins.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #15  
Head Princess

Argh! My local tv station was saying the special was on Sunday - not Friday so I totally missed it.

That thing about wrong carb counts is a great arguement for sticking mainly to whole, unprocessed foods, though!
Closed Thread