Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #1  

Default Plateau

Hi ladies
I started a new weight loss journey in the end of May. I lost 17 lbs so far but have reached a plateau. I'm doing a ketogenic diet with supplements for energy. I get 10,000 steps on most days. Any tips on what I need to do to break this plateau?
CrystalRaquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:04 AM   #2  
fatty

S/C/G: 272/202.8/119

Height: 5'7

i did a 7 day coconut oil fast to break my 6 week plateau.
i lost 17 lbs in a week and then i fluctuated with 2 lbs the next week and now im currently losing again
so didnt gain back any of the water weight i lost during my fast.
destyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

How long have you plateaud? And how close are you to goal? The reason I ask is that - at least for me- the closer I get to goal, the longer it takes to lose. One plateau of mine was 6 weeks (!) long. As you get closer to goal, you often have to make little tweaks to keep things going. I'd say "cut carbs" except obviously you've already done that if you're Keto. So that probably leaves food quality (are you eating whole, nutritious foods, or are you relying on processed foods?) and exercise (try a different workout program for a while to shake things up- you say you're getting 10K steps a day, but are you doing any resistance training? or HIIT?). And finally- if you are close to goal...you could actually be there. Definitely make sure to give yourself a fair assessment in the mirror and not just focus on a number on the scale.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #4  

Height: 6-1.5

My stats are that I was 335, I want to get to "normal BMI" which for my height is 190 (I would rather lose more of course). I started HFLC the day after I saw that awful weight (I thought I was way less). From 3/17/17 to 6/3/17 I easily lost 26 pounds, and then I went on a long oscillating plateau from 6/5/17 to 7/25/17 going from 306 to 305 to 304 and back for all that time. I started eating more vegetables (mainly cabbage, and vegetables from the garden (all low carb friendly)) and drank lots more water (ice tea no sugar), and got sick of weighing myself so did not weigh for 15 days, and on 8/9/17 found I had lost 12 pounds to 292, for a total of 43 pounds lost-- (59 to go! to "overweight" bmi).

So the plateau may/may not have been broken by large dishes of pan fried cabbage, onion, zucchini, tomato in bacon grease, and lots of plain ice tea. I was not allowed to eat many vegetables before because I am on Coumadin, and I had to beg the doctor to change the dose so I could eat more vegetables. Now, what does this mean? Less protein, more fiber, and stay with the fat.

So anyway, that is how my plateau ended.

Last edited by giselley; 08-09-2017 at 09:29 AM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Giselley, can they put you on another anticoagulant? My husband is on Plavix because of stents and after what we saw with my mother with long term Coumadin it was rough. (she had afib)............ Glad you were able to adjust the vegetables. If you can do this kind of weight loss while on that, anybody can! You have my respect!
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Giselley, can they put you on another anticoagulant? My husband is on Plavix because of stents and after what we saw with my mother with long term Coumadin it was rough. (she had afib)............ Glad you were able to adjust the vegetables. If you can do this kind of weight loss while on that, anybody can! You have my respect!
Long story: I nearly died August-September 2016, I had very low level insurance (VA) because I had been homeless, and was a student (Master's) at the time. I had to use VA because I could not afford ACA or anything. (I have been bed ridden for at least a year, and unable to work-- the clots never went away, and are considered "chronic", thus I will be on the drugs for life). So, the one anti-coagulant I could get "free," was Warfarin (coumadin). I mentioned that I wanted to eat vegetables. They suggested Elequis, but also said that I had to be 222 pounds for that. So, I have 70 pounds to lose before they allow me to use that drug. Believe me, I plan to lose that weight, but also, I want to get below 190 in the end. (I am 6 foot 1.5 inches, so 170 is a good weight. My profile picture shows me at about 170).

Last edited by giselley; 08-09-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #7  
Keto Warrior

S/C/G: 196/165/150

Height: 5'7"

Sorry to hear about your health issues Giselley and hope you're feeling better now. Just wanted to offer the OP some support too - I was only 6 weeks ish in to my weight loss and plateaued for 3 weeks. I didn't change anything, I just kept going and last few days I started losing weight again. Had a 3lb whoosh this morning. Your body sometimes goes its only way for a while but it works out in the end
MrsMcsMuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Giselly, I just saw that. I am pulling for you. That is an admirable goal that will free up so much more for your life.

As far as plateaus. I have lost my way before due to those darned things. One thing about being on boards like this is getting the collective wisdom of those who have been there. Every time I think about them, I realize that had I only stayed with the plan I would not have regained the weight and I know by the simple math of it all that I would have lost the weight eventually without any tricks. In our effort to be fast we sometimes trip ourselves up. That old tortoise and hare story really has meaning for us.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #9  

Yeah sorry to hi-jack the post. I was trying to make a point about plateaus.