Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #1  

Default To count or not to count calories?

Ok this has been on my mind all day since Kookoloo mentioned this article earlier today. When I read the article it mentioned that even on Atkins calories should count. You need to eat the minimum for your daily requirements which for me would be around 1500 calories. However going over my menu for the week I am at over 3000 calories most days
My carb count is perfect.....

I am still on induction by the way. Can you clear this up for me. Should I or should I not worry about the calories?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

GOOD QUESTION I DON'T KNOW. I AM CURIOUS TOO BUT THAT IS MORE TO COUNT ISN'T IT. WELL IF IT WORKS BETTER WE SHOULD KNOW. ANY ANSWERS???

DINKI
Old 10-08-2003, 04:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

3000 and still losing? That's great. I am at 1200-1400 and GAINED this week. Life is so unfair.
The Atkins book says to eat until satisfied, stopping short of full. You may be losing water weight the first weeks of induction also. Could we take a look at your menus?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #4  

As with any diet....if you dont create a deficit you will not lose weight. If you are taking in more than you burn in a given days time then those extra calories are just going to be stored as fat. A person's RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) are the calories a person uses just sedentary (sitting, breathing, basic body functions). This will burn calories, but if you are not exercising to compenstate for those extra calories that you are taking in, then that is a problem.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:57 AM   #5  

but if your BMR is around 1500 then explain how you lose on Atkins. I journaled my food for this week already and each day I am over that by quite a bit.

Atkins says not to be concerned with calories just the carbs. But I am just a little concerned about the amount of calories that I am taking in. If I shouldn't be then fine but if I should then I would like to know so that I can alter my menu.

Barbmarie: I was amazed myself that the totals for the last few days were that high....I know I am down 1 pound already this week but it may not go more than that. That is why I am asking about whether we should count calories or not. I think I am going to alter my choices somewhat...the only thing is that the only snacks you can have on Atkins are cheeses etc. and those are loaded with calories. Veggies are not allowed due to the 3 cup per day limit. I am not a cooked veggie eater so I eat a salad each day.

Last edited by jane8760; 10-08-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #6  

Default Re: To count or not to count calories?

Quote:
Originally posted by jane8760
Ok this has been on my mind all day since Kookoloo mentioned this article earlier today. When I read the article it mentioned that even on Atkins calories should count. You need to eat the minimum for your daily requirements which for me would be around 1500 calories. However going over my menu for the week I am at over 3000 calories most days
My carb count is perfect.....

I am still on induction by the way. Can you clear this up for me. Should I or should I not worry about the calories?
\

Most people take their body weight x11 or x12 and then subtract 500 calories from that total. I am not sure what your stats are or anything, but 3,000 calories sound a bit too much especially if you are not exercising. To keep from being so hungry try spacing your meals out to 6-7 meals throughout the day. This keeps your metobolism going and keeps hunger away as well.

Can you provide a sample list of what you are eating a day that is totaling out to this many calories? I find it very difficult to get in at least 2100 calories on 20 carbs a day, muchless 3,000 calories.

DG
Old 10-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #7  

You should count calories.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #8  

I just posted my menu for this week on the log thread
Old 10-08-2003, 03:41 PM   #9  

Ok, I looked at it. Do you mean 3,000 calories a week or day? From the looks of things it does'nt look like that many calories per day. But, it looks like that many per week. Nice food choices....hmmmmm gives me some ideas!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #10  

I have a spread sheet in Excel that I use to calculate the totals.....maybe I have them wrong...but I don't think so. I also used Fitday. I will check again. I would be very happy if it was lower!

Thanks for the compliment....I love to make different things so I don't get to bored. The rosemary lemon chicken with marsala sauce was very good. A little too much lemon but I can fix that. The quiche I had last night was awesome but I kept laughing as I was making it because it has 13 eggs and 8 oz. of cream cheese in it!
Old 10-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The first couple of weeks doing atkins (actually the first 3 weeks) I noticed I had to watch my calories or the scale wasn't budging.

I have to stay below 1500 or nodda !

Bottom line for an inactive person is calories (I think so anyway). You have to burn more then you take in.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #12  

I don't understand how it is possible to be below 1500 calories doing Atkins during the first few weeks. You are eating a lot of cheese and meat which has a lot of calories in it.

It is getting easier now that I have been doing the induction for a few weeks because I am not hungry that much so I don't always have a snack. But still my caloric intake is high.

I am so confused..........
Old 10-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jane, the first two weeks I wasn't watching my calories, but the third week when I didn't lose weight I started tracking my intake to see. I was at 2,400 calories, way to much for this stubborn body. I have a very slow metabolism. So when I started eating about 1500 calories I started to lose again.

I don't eat alot of cheese, I had to cut back on something. You can take a look at what I eat on the weekly food log.

I eat about 1 oz of cheese a day but I have 2 T of cream and I take alot of vitamins, calcium, mag, multi, etc....

Remember every one is different, if what your doing is working for you then stick with it and don't change. Its only when your not losing that you have to peek inside your food diary and see what could be causing it.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #14  

hi there,

i think the reason u lose weight, even if u are over eating is because you aren't taking in many carbs. carbs cause some water retention, so therefore, you are losing "water weight" and not losing fat. this is the reason many ppl see dramatic results when first low carbing.

someone mentioned that u have to burn more cals than u take it so true! the extra calories have to either need to be used as energy or are stored by the body - there's no where else for it to go.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #15  

WHAT A BOOB! So much for my skills in Excel. I just checked the calculations and it appears I was a bit off. My totals on average were around 1600 calories!

PHEW! I am so relieved.

Sorry about all the confusion. Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread