Old 06-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #1  

Default which diet?

my friend said that she was following a new diet. She called it a metabolism diet. The particulars were 12 ounces of protein a day and a list of low sugar veggies. She also mentioned it had phases but did not indicate what they were. She also said that onions and kale were not allowed due to their high sugar count. Also, no additional fats, even fish oil tablets. She said if you add oil to your diet then you don't burn fat in your body.

I thought some of the details were strange and wanted to read up on the theory behind it.
newgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #2  
Eat
Random Citizen

S/C/G: 254/237/210

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgal View Post
Also, no additional fats, even fish oil tablets. She said if you add oil to your diet then you don't burn fat in your body.
Is her boyfriend a French model she met on the internet?

Seriously, any diet that does not allow fish oils should most likely be avoided. Their benefits far outweigh their caloric value. Simply put, the body will still burn fat if you add oil to your diet as long as the amount of calories consumed is less than the amount burned.
Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #3  

I agree, I'm just trying to find out if it is a real diet or one she made up. She said she eats lots of broccoli and spinach. No kale because it has too much sugar in it. Whats up with that?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgal View Post
I agree, I'm just trying to find out if it is a real diet or one she made up. She said she eats lots of broccoli and spinach. No kale because it has too much sugar in it. Whats up with that?
Does it really matter whether she made it up, or some other lunatic did? Every diet is made up by someone, and having it published in a book doesn't make it any more or less real. Sadly there are just as many crazy, ludicrous book-based diets as anonymously self-created plans.

For some reason, people are drawn to diets that divide all foods into two categories: 1. Foods you can eat in unlimited quantities. You can eat as much as you can stuff down your gullet and somehow you will magically become and remain thin no matter how many calories you ingest; and 2. Never, never, ever eat, not even so much as a lick. If your tongue so much as touches these foods, you will instantly gain pounds and pounds of fat.

Such an oversimplified, superstitious view of weight loss dieting is as common in mass-market diets as in those created to be used by only oneself.

Many popular and private diets vilify dietary fats, but it's only overeating that causes weight loss difficulties.

Many low carb diets limit or eliminate high sugar vegetables, at least when cooked. Cooking makes the sugars easier to digest, but more importantly the food volume is reduced so a person can eat more.

I can easily overeat cooked onions and carrots, because they're just so tasty that I can eat way too much.

I could probably overeat kale only if made into kale chips (kale roasted with or without fat).

Regardless, it doesn't matter who invented such a crazy plan, or how many other people might or might not be following it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #5  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Bad news for your friend. I just googled sugar in kale and it has 1.2 in 100g. However, broccoli has an even more massive (sarcasm!) 1.7g per 100g.

Whoever thought up this plan needs their head examined. Fat is your best friend when trying to lose weight, because it promotes satiety like nothing else. So you'll be satisfied, naturally, with less instead of eating 15 cups of broccoli and feeling stuffed but still head-hungry.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #6  

I talked to her at length this weekend. She was pushing her diet on me. I point blank asked her the name and she could not tell me. She said some friends pay for something similar.

She said she had 12 ounces of protein a day, and 12 ounces of veggies. I'd be starving. I really think she took lots of different diets and did a mash up. I just shook my head in agreement as I could find discrepancies with each comment she made.