3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Wheat Belly-January (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/272085-wheat-belly-january.html)

Amarantha2 02-22-2013 08:52 AM

Thanks, Mary Shady!

Have a GREAT weekend all; I know I intend to!

Billster 02-22-2013 12:07 PM

I use a hand held milk frother to blend it all together bought it for 5 bucks at walmart, works perfect. I plan on going to the city this weekend to get chia seeds which is suppose to help with the big c! Looking around for natural products just means a city trip!

maryshady 02-23-2013 09:02 AM

Made the whitecastle cheeseburger pie and it was delicious!! Dh loved it too!

Billie-r u using mct oil or coconut oil in your bulletproof coffee?

Billster 02-23-2013 10:03 AM

Hey Mary! Hope your having a good weekend so far! I use coconut oil as i found a huge 1lb tub at costco for 10 bucks! So i need to use that up and i like the coconut flavor in my coffee it cuts the butter taste. I plan on buying the bulletproof beans in the next few weeks if they ship to canada- pretty
Expensive 18.99/ half pound or finding a high quality bean local. Your looking for organic mold free beans- so anything high quality not your foldgers can of coffee, even a local brand in canada kicking horse coffee would do as there would be less chance or littler mold.thats the main concept behind this odd creation for what i have researched anyways!

DH and i are both super sick with a nasty cold! All i wanted was comfort food last night so i bought GF chicken an rice soup and a loaf of GF bread and made grilled cheese. I know GF bread is not WB however it was better to have that then crappy wheat food and made me feel a little better.

Have a great weekend everyone- off to the city to get chia seeds and zucchini to make a pasta dish but sub the zucchini for the actual pasta. Can you share your meat pie white castle recipe?

maryshady 02-24-2013 08:27 AM

Billie-Hope you both feel better soon. I know when I was sick last month all I could eat was soup. I can only have decaf coffee, wonder if that comes in a decaf version. I started putting a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee again. Will up it a little at a time. Feeling like I need more fat. Weight has been the same for 4 weeks now and I still have around 12 lbs to go just to be in the normal range for my height. Plus each morning when I wake up I have a slight pain in the back of my head and feel kind of crappy. I don't have all the energy everyone talks about.

How much fruit do you eat. I miss eating fruit!

Billster 02-24-2013 12:23 PM

Thanks Mary i hope i feel better soon too! All the girls in my department are sick as well! Decaf coffee will work just as well too! I have just been using normal coffee and it works just as well (the good beans is just the info/ science behind the reason as to why it works so well, have not used good beans yet so i do not have anything to compare it to just yet).

Fruit oh how i miss it! I have max 2 servings. Most days just 1 about 10 berries in unsweetened greek yogurt with a few tbs ground flax and 2 tbs chia seeds. However yesterday i ate two grapefruits! Trying to gets lots of vit c in me! Most days its just 10 blackberries. Summer will be hard- cherries and watermelon!!!

deetermined2 02-24-2013 12:45 PM

Hi, all!

Welcome, Amarantha2!

Hope you're feeling better, Billster.

I heard magnesium and vitamin C work well for the big "C". I know I always have to watch my magnesium levels. I can tell when I've skipped taking it - my guts, my muscles and even my skin. Most women have a magnesium deficiency.

In terms of organic coffee I've been buying Newman's Own. Not sure about the mold but my guess is it's not bad.

My one pound loss vanished. Back to the same old weight. I understand your frustration at not losing, maryshady.

Billster 02-24-2013 02:59 PM

Had to let you ladies know- so i have only been taking chia seeds for two days! Well even though i am really sick with a nasty cold and been in bed since Friday i made a shake with the seeds this morning as my throat needed something cold, i feel full of evergy! I feel as if i shouldnt be taking the day for self care to get better but cleaning my house! Very odd for me as i have extreamly low iron and most days my energy is used just by going to work. So not sure if its a combo that the iron pills are helping and the chia seeds but whatever it is its awesome! Ill keep you all posted on my review of chia!

deetermined2 02-26-2013 04:10 PM

Billster,

In terms of the flax seed cereal, I found that the high fiber with the minimal liquid called for in the recipe had less than optimal effects. After that first day, I've been adding more liquid to the flax seed (50% to 100% more), and have noticed the beneficial effects of additional fiber. If you do actually double the amount of fluid, you will have to cook the mixture longer. I generally just use water to mix in, then have a tad of cream on top when it is done.

After becoming discouraged and eating a few more carbs than usual, my reappearing pound disappeared once again. How counterintuitive!

maryshady 03-01-2013 06:48 AM

Finally the scale has moved!!! Down another .8 lbs! Flat at 160. The 150's stay very elusive!!! My dh is doing well (even though he cheats quite a bit!) He really wanted to do this for the weight loss and misses carbs horribly. He is down a total of 18 lbs! He only has about 5 more to lose. I was hoping he would catch on to this WOL but fearing he will go back to eating more carbs once he reaches goal. Oh well, each person has to do it for themselves.

Made oven fried chix tenders last night. They were delish. Dipped in egg then a mixture of flax meal & parm cheese sprinkled s & P, then poured about 2 Tbs of butter on them. Baked on a cookie sheet at 425 for 12 mins on each side. Delish!

Billster-How to you eat chia seeds? Saw someone soaked them in water and they grew??? lol! Scary! Glad you are feeling more energetic.

Determined-I always add more milk to that flax cereal. It is like paste if not. Take heart the process works. Add more fat if you are not losing not more carbs :). that is what I did this week and it worked. I was stuck at same weight for 4 weeks now. I have at least 12 lbs for me to be in the "normal" weight range for my height. Started adding the coconut oil to coffee again, cooking eggs in coconut oil (was afraid to do this but there is absolutely no coconut taste to the egg. They tasted better than usual!

Have an awesome Friday!!! :)

Billster 03-01-2013 10:02 AM

I have chia seeds in many ways- in a smoothie, in flax seed cereal or yogurt (greek unsweetened).

I have upped my fat as well... it helps keep me fuller longer! Bullet proof coffe still awesome! lol On a hunt for MTC oil!

Billster 03-07-2013 10:06 PM

Ladies! How are we all doing??? My scale is STILL at a stand still - errrr! However im trying not to worry too much about it! Iron levels are going up slowly but still up! Cholesterol has dropped dramatically! From normal high to normal low levels! Woot woot! DH blood pressure is now normal! Our doc said 4 months ago he had 6 months to improve it otherwise BP meds (his whole family was on BP meds by 30!!!!) the health perks of WB out weighs weight loss any day!!!

deetermined2 03-09-2013 01:10 PM

Billster,

If you have gone on Clomid and are not gaining weight you are doing well. When I was on it, it was a constant battle not to gain 2 pounds per month. At the time I had a gain and loss of the same 2 pounds every month for months on end. When I stopped exercising the second half of the month to try to improve fertility, since at the time they were recommending no exercise after in vitro even though we weren't trying that, the 2 pounds stuck. So no loss on Clomid is still doing well.

Billster 03-09-2013 01:53 PM

Not on clomid yet.... Have to have a HGC test first (dye test to see if there are blockages first). I think its the iron myself! I have to take 3x300 mg a day as its super low! I think once my iron is up ill start to ovulate again and then bam it will happen! Posivite thinking of course! I didnt realize that you body will stop ovulating if you have low iron until a few months ago.

deetermined2 03-10-2013 04:49 PM

Billster,

If they are giving you a hysterosalpingogram (I'm not sure of exact term), make sure that you have someone to drive you home and also make sure to wear something very loose. My doctor's office forgot to tell me. I spent a lot of time sitting on a hospital locker room floor because I became so dizzy (grossness). I also had to abandon the car I drove there, and had to get a ride home, then retrieve the car later. Another OB/GYN said it may have been a reaction to the dye, but that he always told his patients to wear loose clothing and have a ride set up.

I don't want to scare you. I think that my experience is unusual. The loose clothing part is necessary though. Afterwards, I could no longer zip or button the jeans I wore there. Thank goodness my shirt was long!

Billster 03-10-2013 05:58 PM

Good to know! Thank you! I have to drive 4 hours one way to have the test done-so thank you for the heads up!

Billster 03-10-2013 10:17 PM

Dee- also personal question and please dont feel like you have to answer.... But did any of the test show any answers for you? Were you able to have kids after all? I get so upset about all of this and none of my friends ever had issues so they dont understand what we are going through. I try to talk to my mom about it and she just keeps saying stay positive and it will happen but its so hard to stay positive!!

deetermined2 03-11-2013 04:51 PM

Billster,

No answers. We were about to do in vitro when I heard about someone looking for a family to adopt her newborn. So we put in vitro on hold. Though that adoption actually fell through, it changed our mind set. We wound up pursuing adoption instead. We ended up adopting a beautiful baby girl. And were able to pick her up at the hospital when she was only 48 hours old.

I know you mentioned progesterone. Both my younger sisters needed progesterone support while pregnant.

I went through all of this a while ago, so hopefully they have more answers now.

In the states, there is an infertility support group called Resolve. That helped enormously. I don't know if they have anything like that by you. Every one of the six couples in our support group wound up with a baby - some through medical intervention and some through adoption. and one through both, (an adoption initially and the second through medical intervention after they discovered why she had miscarried previously).

Meeting people who were also going through infertility really helped. Most people don't realize the emotional impact of not being able to have a baby when you want, when everyone else doesn't seem to have a problem.

If you would like support and would rather not do it on this board, private message me.

Dee

maryshady 03-16-2013 10:44 AM

Sorry I haven't been around lately. My middle daughter is in Australia for business and can only call me in the morning as it is night where she is. That is usually the time I spend on the computer. Anyway still chugging along here. Still no more weight loss but am cutting all sugar on Monday to hopefully lose this last 10-15 lbs by summer. Bought that swerve sugar sub so many rave about. I find it is not sweet at all and has a weird cooling effect. Guess I will continue to use a little equal each day for coffee and have to give up me tea. Can't stand artificial sweeteners in tea.

How are you both doing?

Tonz 03-18-2013 05:20 PM

I just bought the book and was SO excited to see that there was a board about this plan. I can't wait to read all of your entries and get started. I'm still reading the book. Congratulations to all who have lost weight and I look forward to "talking" with you soon!

Tonz 03-18-2013 07:19 PM

Has anyone gone to the trouble of creating a shopping list of WB items that you wouldn't mind sharing? ALso, I think I've read that there are some ready-made dressings, dips, etc. that can be used.

I guess I'm lazy and would love a list of know dressings, dips, condiments, etc. so I won't have to spend hours at the grocery store reading labels. THANKS.

maryshady 03-20-2013 07:26 AM

Tonz-Welcome to the WB way of life!! I love it. I haven't created a shopping list of anything. I just make sure to buy plenty of meat, veggies, nuts, & cheese! I use ranch dressing (just make sure it has 1 carb or less), for dips I would say buy sour cream and add your own seasonings. I think most commercial ones would have sugar added. I use other condiments sparingly. You can have some ketchup just not too much. I use mustard, soy sauce, worchester sauce all in moderation. There are also a couple of wheat belly pages on facebook if you are a member. Google WB, lo-carb, or paleo recipes and you will find tons of recipes to try new things. Just sub out the sugars in the paleo recipes.

Billster 03-20-2013 10:23 AM

Sorry Ladies I have not been around I have been super busy! Work is crazy!

Dee- Thank you for everything!

Tonz- As for a grocery list- your going to have to start reading labels period, we all do! The main things I buy every week- eggs, almond milk, veggies, butter, coconut oil, meat, veggies and cheese.

My scale is still at a stand still! However I went shopping over the weekend for my birthday and bought shifts in an XL (was a 1X or 2X) and pants in a size 14!! (was in a 18 in January). So even though my scale is not showing it clearly my clothing is!

Tonz 03-20-2013 01:49 PM

MaryShady and Billster, thanks so much for responding.

I promise to start reading labels but your comment about 1 carb or less helps a lot. Guess I'm a tad bit lazy and was hoping to rush through grocery store like I normally do. Listing what you typically buy helps also.

Billster, congratulations on the size loss, that is wonderful!

I really do believe in the concept of wheat and gluten free and the book really makes sense. I'm just really going to have to trust that eating full fat, nuts, not count calories, etc. is going to really work and I won't pack on more pounds.

So stay tune and I'll let you know how it goes. Please continue to post your successes as that keeps me going!

Billster 03-20-2013 03:46 PM

Tonz- my main key advice- get over fat! I didnt eat fat the first bit and weight went up! Started eating fat weight went down! This lifestyle goes against everything we have been taught about healthy eating! But it works but realize results are slow! The fat added keeps you feeling fuller longer! Chia seeds are amazing! I had never heard of them before but are awesome lil super foods! Read labels very carefully! Even pre packed frozen chicken breasts i have found contain wheat! If you have read some of our prior posts there is lots of great info! My husband and i are both 29 and when we started out in the big city most of our income went to rent and we ate a lot of pasta and crap because you got more for you money, now we can afford much more and are repairing the damage wheat did to our bodies! His blood pressure has dropped to normal levels he was at risk of medication 4 months ago, my cholestrol is now normal low was normal high 4 months ago. We both sleep better and over all feel better. My energy is not up yet as i was diagnosed with low iron anemia 4 months ago and that will take time to get back up there. If anything the health perks of WB out number the weight loss! Question ask us and we will help the best we can! Also the facebook WB group is amazing as well!

deetermined2 03-21-2013 07:50 PM

Welcome, Tonz!

Congrats, Billster! Down 2 sizes is wonderful! I'd much rather look a lot thinner, than weigh less but look like I hadn't lost a pound.

Tonz, I'd add flax seed to the shopping list at this point to make the cereal, though I have been mail ordering that, along with the shredded coconut.

I don't know why it seems so much easier to make the cereal than eggs, when they probably take the same amount of time to make.

I'm still plateauing. Have just ordered one of the supplements that Dr. D recommends if you're stalled. Am waiting impatiently for it to arrive. Will let you know if it helps.

Billster 03-21-2013 08:39 PM

Dee- what supplements are you talking about?

deetermined2 03-23-2013 09:58 AM

Billster-

Sea-iodine to help improve thyroid function. However, I would recommend going to Dr. D's blog, to see what he has to say about thyroid supplements and pregnancy, before taking anything. I have heard that eating seaweed itself cannot hurt you because the nutrients are balanced and self-limiting, that your body will get rid of whatever it doesn't need, but supplements are another matter, and you have to be very careful exactly which form you take because of toxicity.

I am also planning on trying a different brand of magnesium, that my sister's health store nutritionist recommended. It is the same brand that Dr. D mentioned for the sea-iodide in the April 8th First for Women.

My sister couldn't find the right brand of sea-iodine at her health food store, but got a different brand along with the magnesium and both her body temp and her energy were up within a day. (Her body temp is ridiculously low usually, 94.5 or so, even though her thyroid blood work comes back "normal".)

maryshady 03-23-2013 02:23 PM

determined-I am the same way. Have always thought I have a malfunctioning thyroid but my blood always tests in the normal range. I have very thin hair, always cold, dry skin, etc. I even got a mild case of frost bite two years ago on my toes from doing a 15 min bus duty each morning. Where can I find out about this Sea-iodide?

Tonz-Listen to Billie. Make sure to get plenty of fat or besides the weight loss problem you will be tired all the time. That was how I was a first until I upped my fat intake.
Billie-Yeah!!! Great news on the clothing size. I feel the same way. Scale is bouncing between 1-1.5 lbs for the last three weeks. i am going to start calculating the carbs I eat thinking somehow I am getting too many. Isn't it strange how different people fit in the same size. When I was in the 170's I was a size 14 (I do carry most of my weight in my belly). At 159-160, I am now a 12 in jeans & a 10 in dress pants.

maryshady 03-23-2013 02:24 PM

Did you mean iodine?

deetermined2 03-23-2013 08:18 PM

maryshady,

You're right, it is sea-iodine. The brand he likes is Life Extension. I'll edit my previous post so as not to confuse anyone.

deetermined2 03-24-2013 11:39 AM

Yeah! Finally down another pound.

Recent changes to diet:
Took L-Glutamine to heal gut (each day, last few days)
Took 2 kelp tablets and 1 selenium (each day, last few days)
Ate a little seaweed
Had one package of shiritaki noodles shared with DH (made from yams only-some are fake)

maryshady,
I too suffer from thinning hair, dry skin, and low body temperature, though I don't usually "feel cold", but DH often says I feel "like ice" when I touch him. So I don't perceive my low body temp - it just is, until I am in contact with him and then I will feel cool.

Tonz 03-24-2013 03:59 PM

Way to go deetermined2 on the pound lost!

Thanks for all your advise. I'm liking this WOE, so far and doing good. Social events are hard but I've dogged my way through!

Have a great week.

Billster 03-25-2013 11:45 AM

Dee- Oh not to worry I don’t take anything without talking with my GP first. I have my thyroid tested again and its still normal, I was more curious then anything as to what supplements people were taking.

Tonz 03-25-2013 02:22 PM

Hey all I have a question about cheese. What I've read is that it must be labeled 'culture' or 'live culture'. And I think I read pretty much block not shredded,etc. I looked at some sliced cheese and the ingredients are: pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt and enzymes. Some say annatto (color). Is this acceptable?

Billster 03-25-2013 08:45 PM

Well ill be honest i eat normal cheese! I dont eat much an oz or two every other day. I cant not afford cultured cheese- small brick would cost be around 15+ bucks!

deetermined2 03-28-2013 05:29 PM

Tonz,

I usually eat Cabot cheddar because at least 2 of the varieties are growth hormone free. There is a little green square on the side that lists this only on some of them. Occasionally, I'll make it to Trader Joe's or the health food store and buy a raw milk cheese which is suppose to be even better for you healthwise. In terms of shredded cheeses, I actually got hold of Sargento's last year, and they stated that they do NOT require their farmers to disclose whether or not they use growth hormones. So now I shred Cabot.

European cheese is growth hormone free. So I buy that sometimes, too.

Billster,
"Normal" for thyroid function is not necessarily optimal. My doctor said that TSH under 3 is normal. However, Dr. D says that number should be under 1.5, and ideally under 1.0. Huge difference!!!

Tonz 03-30-2013 08:01 AM

Good Morning. Need help from you pros who have been through plateaus and weight gain. I'd be losing rather nicely then all of a sudden I gained a pound, I though OK no need to panic. Well this am I found another one--still not in panic mode but getting there.

I know some of you are going to tell me (and you already did) to add more fat but how to do that?

My typical day is:

Coffee: 1 cup with 1 tsp truvia & splash almond milk

Breakfast:eggs cooked in tsp coconut oil w/ spinach or just boiled eggs plus maybe a healthy slice of cheese

Lunch: salad with veggies, 3-4 oz of protein, cheese, a few nuts, regular salad dressing OR leftovers from night before

Dinner: 3-6 oz of protein (usually cooked with coconut oil in some type of fashion), 1-2 vegetables

Snack: usually handfull of nuts or cheese

I haven't eaten any fruits, wheat, etc. since starting and I must say I feel better and I do love this WOE.

I am eating an awful lot of cheese and nuts, could that be why the weight gain?

Until I receive a reply, I'll go back and re-read all the posts. I do remember one or two of you having this same issue.

HAPPY EASTER ALL!

Billster 03-30-2013 09:31 AM

Well first thing im going to ask TOM soon? I gain up to 5 lbs during that time and they they go right back away!
Second question are you going to the washroom everyday? Change in diets can back us up and cause a gain.
Nuts- how much are u eating? Those wonderful lil guys are full of carbs! I have a whole 10 nuts a day now... :(
Your snack- what cut the cheese and have veggies and dip or something other then cheese.
This salad dressin you are using- store bought? Toss it! Make your own using oil and spices. Store bought is full of CRAP. Add apme butter to your veggies! Yes butter!

I have not lost a pound in a good 1.5 months and maybe gained one or two (i threw my scale out a few weeks ago- was starting to over focuse on a number, thats all it is a number!) i do however take my measurements every other week an they have always gone down. This weight loss plan is SLOW and even in the book it did say you can have a gain to start with because your body is soaking up all the good stuff you were not getting when you ate crap. I have read a lot pf blogs and groups and to be honest i have found many more people who have not lost or lost very little on this diet compared to the book where it seems lile everyone lost. I have found more people havr felt better, better medical results and overall improved health on thos diet then any other. Theres my food for thought for the day.....sorry if my spelling is a mess replying to
This via my iphone as im heading to the city for the night.

Billster 04-01-2013 04:38 PM

Sigh... Was at the gym this morning i have been going twice a week swimming and decided to try out the scale- up 8lbs from the last time i weighed myself 6 weeks ago!!!!! I know TOM and stress are playing a HUGE part of this! I have my Dye test on wed and im really stressed out ago the news as well as my husband way laid off this week, so i know those two things are stressing me out. DH should only be laid off a few weeks but it still worries me as Alberta is a very expensive place to live. On a side note i made the white castle pie recipe it was SO good!!! DH even had thirds! Hope you all had a happy easter!