3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Wheat Belly-January (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/272085-wheat-belly-january.html)

maryshady 01-30-2013 07:25 AM

Morning Ladies!!! Finally back down to the original 5.5 lbs I lost. Went out to dinner Thurs, Friday, & ordered out Sat. Lots of B-days last week in the family. Also had a couple of drinks. So all that put me up a lb. Been enjoying eating this way and nice to know that I can eat out 3 days in a row with only a 1 lb weight gain. My body is really sensitive to sodium.
Going to try a new recipe tonite called Crack Slaw. let you know how it is and then I will post it. Haven't tried making the cereal yet. Will do so this weekend.

Sparkygirl-thanks for the tips for recipes. I have found a couple of websites that have some fabulous recipes. haven't tried them yet. Doing one new one per week. One is Gourmetgirlcooks (or something like that) and against all grain. Just do a search.

Billster-Don't worry too much about the water weight which I am sure it is. Women's bodies fluctuate. My dh has not given up sugar and has lost 10 lbs! to my 5.5 lbs (the only sugar I have is 1 tsp in my tea each morning)

Have either of you bought the cookbook yet?

Billster 01-30-2013 10:35 AM

Oh I want to hear all about Crack Slaw!
I did buy the cookbook about 2 days after I started reading the book. I LOVE the cookbook and found it so worth the money. I have made rye bread and the cheese buns. Both were a hit! I have found however most of the recipes so far are a good base but I find that they are missing something. I really like a great deal of spice and flavor, so I find most of them a good starting point- except for the breads and buns. DH’s 29th birthday is this weekend and my 29th will be 6 weeks later……. so I will be trying to make one of the cheese cakes- wish me luck I have never been a baker, nor enjoy it too much.
This has been a HUGE hit of a side dish at our house this week- Cauliflower cheese bake! Found the recipe in one of those $2.99 magazines at the checkout. The WB Doctor released an extra 20 recipes into this magazine after his appearance on Dr. Oz. So here it is if you guys don’t have it-
1 head cauliflower
1 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs coconut flour
1 c chicken broth (or stock)
1/2c cream cheese
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
4 tbs parmesan cheese
1 small onion- diced small
Salt and pepper to taste

- Cut cauliflower into smaller parts (or use a bag of pre cut cauliflower) and boil for a few moments until soft but not too soft. Drain and add to a baking dish.
- In a frying pan cook onion with the coconut oil until soft. Reduce heat add chicken stock, coconut flour once it thickens add paper and salt, cream cheese, half the shredded cheese,2 tbs of parmesan cheese.
- Add sauce to cauliflower and top with the 2 remaining cheeses. Bake at 350 for 17 minutes or until golden brown.

maryshady 01-31-2013 07:10 AM

Billster- I am making that tonite with chicken tenders!!! Sounds so good. The crack slaw was really good! My dh wasn't too impressed but I didn't have any sesame oil so I toasted up some sesame seeds & slivered almonds in butter and I used canola oil (I need to finish this before switching over). I didn't use the ginger (don't like ginger) and I used Erthriyol for sweetner. I also used regular yellow onions as I didn't have green onions! So I really changed it up!!:)

Good going to order the book this weekend from Amazon. Will check out the stores first but I couldn't find Wheat Belly anywhere around here and had to order it. Was down another .5 lb today so at 161.8!!!! Can't wait to get to the 150's!!

HAMBURGER CABBAGE STIR-FRY
1 pound ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 ounce bag coleslaw mix *
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Pinch ginger, optional
Pinch cayenne, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1 bunch green onions, cut on the bias (about 8 onions or 3 ounces after trimming)
In a very large skillet or wok, brown the ground beef with the garlic and a little salt and pepper. Drain the fat, if you like, or just leave it in. Add the cabbage and mushrooms and stir-fry until the cabbage is tender-crisp. Add the remaining ingredients and heat through. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Makes 6 servings

lindsayk86 01-31-2013 01:16 PM

Hey Everyone,

I was on the Ideal Protein but quit in November and put on 20lbs and it's driving me crazy. I'm in the middle of the WB Book so once I am done reading I am going to start. Already purchased the cookbook as well. I need a lifestyle change and to not constantly feel like I am on a diet. I was always on 3 fat chicks for IP. So I am glad there is a thread for WB as well.

Billster 01-31-2013 01:50 PM

Lindsayk86- Welcome! First off let me say its nice to see a local around here! I live in Alix about 45 mins outside of Red Deer! Second I also did IP! I lost 75lbs last year phased off correct and continued to eat how IP said I should and within months it was all back on and an extra 10lbs! So gained a total of 85 back- This seemed to have happened to a whole lot of people I know who have done the diet, granted some went back to take out food where some like me kept everything under control. I went back to IP for 2 weeks and lost 10 and realized this diet is BS, so I’ll spend a wack load of my hard earned money, deprive my body and lose weight just to pack it on again. My doctor never agreed with diet from the start as I have hormone imbalances and IP messed that up even more which is horrible for me as we have been trying to have a baby for over a year now. Anyways there is my IP rant!
I LOVE WB! I’m 21 days in only lost 8 lbs however I feel if the weight comes off slower it was stay off longer. Inches are coming off at a nice pace too. A girl I work with has lost 0 lbs however has dropped 2 sizes in clothing but she works out and weight lifts. Anyway from coming from IP to WB was a great choice for me- I feel like a million bucks, never hungry and I get to eat! Eating out is not too bad either as most places offer GF menus. Any help on finding products in Red Deer let me know I have scoped out the best prices etc. Hope you decided to jump over to our ship!

maryshady 01-31-2013 04:34 PM

Lindsay:welcome: So glad to have you here with us. You will love this WOL. It is a bit overwhelming at first but I am enjoying learning to cook differently. So far I have loved everything I have tried. I started Jan. 2 and have lost 6 lbs so far. i would like to lose 20 total. My dh has lost over 10 lbs. and has cut way back on sugar but still consuming a bit.

maryshady 02-01-2013 07:46 AM

WooHoo!! So excited this morning was down 1 lb from yesterday. So now at 160.8!!! Loving this plan.

Billster-tried the cheesy cauliflower last night. I loved it, dh didn't. He is finding out he is not too fond of cauliflower! I did modify my usual recipe for chix tenders and it was delish. I will post it later.

have a great Friday!!!

Billster 02-01-2013 10:27 AM

Way to go Mary! That's amazing news! Your doing SO well on this plan!

Happy you liked the cauliflower! I LOVE it! I found the extra recipes in Women's First Mag at the cash out. If they are not selling it anymore I could photocopy them and mail them to you if you would like.

I picked up everything to make cheesecake for DH's b-day this weekend.... I'll let you all know how it goes!

deetermined2 02-03-2013 12:07 PM

Hi, all!

Have been stuck at the same weight in spite of getting rid of what little grain was left in my diet, (which wasn't that much), or at least I thought I had. Though I just discovered the chili powder I'd been putting on my eggs to up the burn contains a trace amount of wheat. Who would ever have suspected? Wonder if that trace amount could cause a stall?

Nice to see all the positive results others are experiencing.

Dee

Billster 02-03-2013 08:45 PM

Im in GF blueberry cheese cake heaven!!!! It turned out amazing if anyone wants the recipe let me know! :)

WI day tomorrow hoping my 2 pieces of cheesecake didnt kill it!!
DH and i came up with a plan his vacation is end of october this year so we decided if we are not preggers by then we are going for a week on the beach! If we are going back to ontario to see my family. Either way it will be great! So now i have motivation for which ever happens 1. Bathing suit 2. Healthy for baby. This will help keep me motivated and you ladies of course!

deetermined2 02-03-2013 10:09 PM

Billster,

Would love that recipe for GF blueberry cheesecake!

Thanks,
Dee

maryshady 02-04-2013 07:16 AM

I would love that recipe too!!!

Billster 02-04-2013 10:30 AM

Ok Ladies here we go!
There are 3 parts to the recipe! I made it in a pie dish and worked out perfect. The only thing I would change next time is if I was making a blueberry topping I would not add as much lemon but if I was making a raspberry topping I would use that much lemon. I used splenda for the “sugar” so you could use stevia however I did not have that much on hand, I don’t know about other sweeteners as these are the only two I can find in Canada.
Crust
1 ½ c ground nuts (I used almond flour)
½ c splenda
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (pure)
Combine all ingredients and use your fingers to push down and spread to make a crust. I also sprayed the pan with some olive oil so it wouldn’t stick. I also made the crust all the way up the sides like a pie crust.

Filling
16 oz cream cheese
3/4c sour cream
½ c sweetner
Dash of sea salt
3 eggs
Juice from one lemon and lemon zest from peel
2 tsp vanilla extract pure
Combine all of these ingredients and beat well with a hang mixer. Bake at 325 for 50 minutes or until knife comes out clean

Topping
As your cheesecake is baking on the stove top add 2 cups of blueberries (or any berries- if its strawberries cut into smaller parts first)
1-2 tbs butter
¼ c heavy cream (I used whipping cream)
1 tbs sweetener
Melt butter in pot add blueberries, cook on medium heat until blue berries start to break down. Add cream and sweetener, continue cooking on low med heat for another 15-20 minutes stirring every couple minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temp.

Let Cheesecake cool for about 1 hour then add topping. Cover and put in fridge for at least 3 hours. Sounds like a great deal of work however most of the time was letting the darn thing cool!

**Also on a great note- scale was down 2lbs today! Woot woot!

deetermined2 02-04-2013 03:39 PM

Thanks, Billster,

And congrats on the loss!

Dee

maryshady 02-05-2013 07:07 AM

Woohoo!!! on the loss, Billster!!!

I am def making this recipe this weekend. Will cut up and freeze the slices.
still hanging out at 160.8-161! Did have a few cheats on Superbowl Sunday. Looking forward to being in the 150's!!!

Billster 02-05-2013 10:41 AM

I dont know how it will freeze but let me know cuz I might just do this as well this weekend! I forgot to add I did add 2 or 3 tbs of coconut flour to thicken it up a bit - to the topping. I found the topping recipe on marta stewart and she called for real sugar and corn starch so I changed it to splenda and coconut flour just an FYI

maryshady 02-06-2013 06:45 AM

What do you eat for breakfast?

Billster 02-06-2013 10:23 AM

Eggs on the weekend with cheese buns (from the cookbook) during the week protein shake with 10 blackberries, spinich, 1tbs coconut oil (keeps me fuller longer and helps get good fat in) 2 tbs sugar free almond butter and 1 premire nutrition ready made chocolate protein shake (low fat, 2g sugar, 1carb) blend it all up- heaven! I drive two towns over for work 35 mins and i dont have time to cook. My other option is flax seed cerial i have that tues/thursday and eat at my desk. DH has hard boiled eggs or flax seed cerial all week.

maryshady 02-07-2013 07:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't get to leave for lunch until 1:15-1:30 each day. If I have breakfast at 10 am do u think that shake will keep me full. It would sure beat making eggs every morning. I love eggs but you get sick of them after a while, kwim? Where did u buy the protein shake at?

Was up .8 lbs this morning. Don't know what is going on. I don't think my TOM is until next week. Probably shouldn't weigh every day but I am in the habit of it! lol!

Billster 02-07-2013 10:19 AM

Oh I hear you on late lunches! I get to work at 8am and have lunch some weeks at noon some at 1. I found the shakes (premier nutrition- pure protein) when I was trying to cut down some costs on Ideal Protein diet. I get them at Costco 18 for $25 in the vitamin section. DH loves them for work as he finds they give him a boost for his long work hours, I like to beef mine up a bit. A few others (however I’m not sure if they are GF or not) would be EAS Advantage- Walmart, Muscle Milk shakes- costco (maybe sam’s club in the US) and I think the atkins shakes would work to however I’m not sure on sugar/ carbs. I’m in Canada so these for sure I know I can find up here in the north lol. However I think any good whey protein powder would work as well (just check GF) ISO flex is a top notch brand a bit expensive at first 5lbs for $100, chocolate peanut butter is excellent and then mix with milk or almond milk. The ones I use have 30g protein and it keeps me going all morning, but I add bunch of other things like spinach- can never go wrong with spinach! The flax seed cereal looks disgusting! However I add 10 blackberries to it and this keeps me VERY full!

On another note had blood work done last week, came back perfect- cholesterol has made a dramatic drop and is well within normal range (was normal- high 4 months ago). However my iron is extremely low! Not caused by the diet but TOM! Ever since I went off the pill TOM has been ****! Super heavy and bad cramps. So my doc said I have to take iron every day now as food will just not be enough to get it up to normal, he also think that because my iron is so low I’m not ovulating which would explain why I’m not preggers yet. He’s also putting me on Clomid for 6 months to get my ovaries doing what they should be doing. Sorry if its TMI but my friends just done get it they all had babies without issues and keep saying “Oh Billie it will happen….” I’m sick of hearing this after 3 years of 2 pregnancies and no babies at home (one was a natural miscarriage and 1 had to be a DnC due to no heartbeat at 12 weeks- at least with that they could find out that I don’t produce progesterone so when it happens I’ll have to take a hormone pill for 3 months). Anyways thanks for listening, have a great day everyone ~Billie~

Billster 02-08-2013 01:50 PM

Have any of you had 'Bullet proof coffee'???? Coffee, coconut oil and butter- yes all three! I'm going to try it... lol

maryshady 02-11-2013 07:29 AM

Billster-Thanks for the info on the protein powder. Have to go to BJ's (like costco) next week so will check them out. Hope everything works out for you with the fertility meds. They made my sister in law crazy while taking them (but she is a little crazy on her own!) So sorry to hear about your two loses (((hugs))).

I liked the flax cereal but didn't have unsweetened coconut flakes so I used the sweetened ones. When I ran it thru a carb count! way too high. Couldn't find any around here so had to order off Amazon. Finding I can't find a lot of stuff. I just ordered the garbanzo bean & coconut flours, walnut & sesame oils, and the coconut flakes all from Amazon. I think I relatively have all the basics now for most of the recipes. It can get expensive!!

I just put coconut oil in my coffee but haven't tried that recipe. Let me know how it tastes and how full it keeps you.

have a great Monday!!

Billster 02-11-2013 05:35 PM

Hey Mary… I will try bullet proof coffee this weekend and let you know my review! I’m drinking my coffee black now! I have been using my fitness pal app on my iphone to track carbs to make sure I’m not going crazy! Well I never thought to add my coffee (duh!) well my ex Tim Horton’s coffee with 2 milk has 8 carbs in it!!! And most days, hate to admit it but I have 2, that’s 16 useless carbs!!!!!

I made cheesecake AGAIN this weekend- I think I’m in LOVE! I used some DaVinci syrup (0 carb, 0 sugar, 0 cal) in the amaretto flavoring… WOW! I was in heaven!

I have not used too many flours, mostly ground almonds and coconut flour. I plan on buying a food processor soon and making my own ground almonds it was cost so much less as a massive bag of whole raw almonds from costco is 15$ and to buy it pre ground at Bulk Barn for the same amount is almost $50!!! What are you going to use the chick pea flour for? I’m surprised you cannot find much where you are! I’m in a real rural area and drive to the city to get the odd few things I can’t find here and to go to costco but most I can find here.

deetermined2 02-11-2013 10:37 PM

Finally, broke my very long plateau and am down a pound!!

Was afraid I might have to give up dairy besides all grains to break the stall, but fortunately that wasn't necessary.

Giving up all grains, plus dairy, plus almost all sugar, and severely limiting fruit would have left me feeling very deprived.

I have gotten around to reading most of the book, (though I have to admit I skipped some of the stuff about the wheat, since I'd read about it from other sources and have been wheat-free for many years), or at least all of part two.

I have yet to try any of the recipes. What are your favorites?

maryshady 02-14-2013 07:13 AM

Billster-The chickpea flour is for the pizza recipe. Want to try that this weekend!
Also making the cheesecake this weekend as we are having a January birthday party for all the members of our extended family. Looking forward to it. I am stuck at 160.8! ugh! haven't moved but up & down by 1 lb for the past two weeks! frustrating. But i am on TOM this week so hopefully that number will be lower by the weekend.

Determined-:carrot::carrot::carrot: On the weight loss!!! So wonderful to see the scale move downward. My favorite recipes are the banana walnut bread i posted on this link, the guiltless spaghetti, & the hot cereal ain't bad either! I am trying the pizza and cheesecake this weekend. let you know how they turn out.

:val1::val1: Happy Valentine's Day....back away from the candy!! lol!

Billster 02-14-2013 11:32 AM

Deetermined2- Way to go on the loss! Awesome news! My fav recipes from the cookbook- Cheddar cheese buns Mmmmm, cheese cake and rye bread! All the ones I have tried are amazing, however I find the soups are missing something and I ‘beef’ them up a bit. However a great starting base.

Mary- Let me know how the pizza makes out! I have been meaning to try it but ended up making a pizza crust out of cheese and chicken breast which was by far the most amazing thing I have ever had. Since I have been taking the iron my scale is up 5 lbs and will not go down even though I have been strictly watching my carbs and keeping them around 35-44 per day.

Have a great day ladies!

coffeebrain 02-15-2013 11:32 AM

maryshady, I just read your first post on this thread, and thank you so much for mentioning Gourmet Girl Cooks. Those recipes are awesome! Thank you!

I am not on the Wheat Belly Diet per sey (I do have the book), but since I eat low glycemic and avoid gluten, I guess I am by default! I'd like to join you all on this Wheat Belly chat. Giving up gluten changed my health around 180 degrees!

Billster 02-15-2013 12:31 PM

coffeebrain- welcome! The more we have the better! I know in the 5 weeks I have given up gluten I sure as heck feel so much better!

coffeebrain 02-15-2013 12:49 PM

Thanks for the welcome! And your cheesecake recipe looks awesome!

maryshady 02-15-2013 02:07 PM

coffeebrain-Welcome to our group. So glad to have u!!! Gourmet girl has some awesome recipes. :) I feel so much better too. I sleep so much better and my relationship with food is that of a normal person now!!

Billster-I might make it tonite. Please post your recipe too!

coffeebrain 02-15-2013 07:22 PM

Mary, I hear you. It still amazes me that I'm not prone to overeat anymore. And believe me, I could sock it away. That change alone is like a miracle!

deetermined2 02-15-2013 09:48 PM

Welcome, coffeebrain.

And thanks Billster and maryshady for the list of your favorite recipes from the book. I am much more apt to try something that comes recommended. I'm somewhat of a reluctant cook, (not that I don't usually cook dinner from scratch almost every night).

maryshady 02-17-2013 01:20 PM

Never got around to making the pizza but did make the cheesecake today. Let u know how that turns out later. Looks delish!

Billster 02-18-2013 11:48 AM

Well bullet proof coffee was not as bad as i thought it would be! Will be having it again! So far not hungry but its only been a few hours lol

Mary how did the cheese cake turn out? I made another one raspberry lemon this time!

maryshady 02-19-2013 07:13 AM

What's in the bulletproof coffee again? Was drinking mine with coconut oil and then stopped. Should start that again.

I had a terrible weekend! ugh! ate things I should not have ate and I am in a really bad mood today! Keep thinking it is the carbs that did it. Back on the wagon today. Will never have chips in my house again!

Billster 02-19-2013 08:05 AM

Bullet proof coffee- coffee with coconut oil and butter added to it. I did add a splash of almond milk to it as well! Made it again this morning to drink drivingg to work and will see how long it will keep me full. Being at home yesterday was not a good way to judge as i ate everything yeaterday due to boredom!

deetermined2 02-20-2013 06:18 PM

I haven't tried the bullet proof coffee yet, but I did get around to trying the flaxseed cereal. It is definitely better than it looks, with the bonus of lots of fiber.

One diet book I've been reading suggests that eating 25 grams of fiber per day helps to reduce inflammation so that it is easier to lose weight. If so that cereal should get you half way there.

Billster 02-20-2013 09:20 PM

Fiber is no issue for me most days im 30+ grams. However since i have been on the iron pills i have been having HUGE big "C" issues!!! I have to break down to take some laxatives. I added an extra two servings of fruit a day and its starting to help a bit and i know that will hurt weight loss however im thinking long term- take iron feel better mentally and have more energy which will then allow me to lose more weight as ill have energy to exercise etc or stop taking the iron and sleep 11-14 hours a day. Hmmm im thinking the iron is the best bet! So happy im GF now! Could you believe how crappy i would feel with a belly full of pasta and not able to go to the bathroom!!!!

Amarantha2 02-21-2013 07:35 AM

Hello, I am happy to find this group. I am not per se doing low carb & do not totally even agree with everything in the Wheat Belly book but reading it gave me some hints that I might like to try a wheat free lifestyle & I am doing a test until March 20 when I will evaluate further but I do know I feel better than I did & this way of eating is very agreeable to me & easy to do. Weight loss is not my objective in avoiding wheat, I just feel better, although I have had a few periods of missing my lifetime of wheat being my major food. But those have been very minor.

maryshady 02-22-2013 07:16 AM

Morning Ladies. Well scale finally got back down today after my episode on Monday!! ugh! Having a good week. Mood is back under control. I am going to try to make the Whitecastle Hamberger pie recipe someone posted on the wheatbelly facebook page. Let u know how that turns out.

Billy-are you whipping up your bullet proof coffee in a blender? they were saying that makes it real frothy. Can't imagine butter in coffee but may try it.
How about adding some benefiber or physilium husk to your diet. I think you can just sprinkle over veggies or soup with no added taste. That may help in the C area.

Amarantha-Welcome!

Determined-Hi!!

Have a great Friday!!