Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/205/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Is there a Wheat Belly Diet thread ?

I am not sure if there is a thread on Wheat Belly Diet here ? I have been on this diet since Sept and really like it.. Anyone else ?
Nora52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The Paleo and Primal diets are very comparable and compatible with the Wheat Belly diet (there are far more similarities than differences), so if you don't find a Wheat Belly diet thread, or if you want more support from people on essentially the same food plan, you can check out the Primal/Paleo threads as well.

My main plan is a paleo-based exchange plan, though I use "The Simple Diet" as well when cooking/food-prep is going to be a challenge.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #3  

I have looked at Paleo diets before but they vary quite a bit to WB and what I am doing... Honey allowed for instance on Paleo, and no dairy allowed either?... ( I love my dairy! ). Just hoping someone else is out there...

Last edited by Nora52; 12-20-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora52 View Post
I have looked at Paleo diets before but they vary quite a bit to WB and what I am doing... Honey allowed for instance on Paleo, and no dairy allowed either?... ( I love my dairy! ). Just hoping someone else is out there...

Not all Paleo diets allow or encourage honey, and not all ban dairy (or consider all dairy either.

There are a few "gray area" foods in paleo that some paleo plans discourage, honey (and even fruit in large quantities), dairy, potatoes and sweet potatoes (some allow sweet potatoes and others discourage both), and legumes (some ban all, some allow only those in which the pod is eaten along with the bean, and others forbid all foods that can't be eaten raw which would include legumes, potatoes, cashews, cocoa, coffee, peanuts...).

Personally, I don't eat honey, agave syrup or maple syrup. I eat fresh fruit, but watch my portions, and I'm super careful with dried fruit (I'll use them in recipes, but eating them out of hand as a snack, doesn't work for me).

I do eat cultured dairy, but try to avoid fresh (I'm mildly lactose intolerant, but don't have a problem with cultured dairy). When I first read paleo diet books in the late 70's and early 80's, One (Neanderthin I think, or possibly the Paleolithic Prescription), advocated eating low-fat dairy (when not lactose-intolerant) unless you want to eat bugs and bones (the paleo source for minerals like calcium).

If you can find Wheat Belly diet pals, that's great, but you may consider paleo as a "backup" in the sense that you'll find a lot more paleo cookbooks and other resources than wheat belly specific resources.

In the paleo cookbooks, there'll be some recipes that you won't be able to use, or will have to modify - but that's true for full-paleo folks too, because of all the slight variations in paleo plans.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #5  

I am lactose intolerant but simply use lactose free milk. WB encourages full cream or full fat dairy for eg. which helps stop the hunger. Very little fruit. So its a bit more Atkins in that respect but with the freedom of baking. I did Atkins once but WB suits me more. Hmm... Paleo sounds sort of complicated ? I am hoping some WBers chip in as I am so comfortable with that plan now. Thanks for your help :-)

Last edited by Nora52; 12-20-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #6  

The basis of paleo isn't really any more complicated than Wheat Belly.

Some paleo plans are higher in fat than others, but the boiled-down version of all the plans is essentially, Avoid grains, limit carbs (most especially sugar), increase omega 3 fats, and avoid processed foods.

I've been collecting cookbooks, especially diet cookbooks for years, and a lot of them are all marked up with notes in the margins or post-it notes, as to which recipes are compatible with which diets.

It was really the cookbooks that convinced me how compatible the low-carb, paleo, and anti-grain/gluten diets were with one another, because I found that most of the recipes were either useable or easily adapted from one plan to another.

Good luck in finding Wheat Belly followers, but if you don't, I think you'll find that you'll have about 95% in common with the paleo (and the Atkins and other low-carbers for that matter), and the 5% difference won't come up that often.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #7  

As long as it allows wine and dark chocolate ! I guess WB seems so easy as its so streamlined. I am confused by the different threads of Paleo.. At this stage I am waiting for the WB cookbook to come out but so far - I don't even feel like baked goods. A handful of nuts keeps me going for hours I do have one of the Almond Flour baking recipes of Elana's which I keep on standby in the freezer... but hardly need that now
Old 12-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #8  

My Wheat Belly Cookbook has just shipped ! So excited !!!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #9  

I just looked up the wheat belly diet and it looks exactly like paleo except it includes dairy. The primal diet by mark Sisson also allows dairy if you can tolerate as well as wine and dark chocolate. Looks like a good diet but I don't think there will be many people specifically on this diet, since the paleo community is so large. It's easier to search for paleo recipes since there are so many out there. They should all be compliant with your diet.

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthye...at-belly-diet/
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #10  

I have been searching the paleo and primal diets but they don't seem like Wheat Belly and seem much more complicated.They also include honey or maple syrup. I had some sugar for Christmas and have had terrible hunger ever since. It really spiked my Blood Sugar and took me out of ketosis. Wheat Belly is all about controlling the blood sugar ( and triglycerides etc ) by low carb, wheat/grain free and low sugar ( sweeteners). And lots of dairy.And there seems more variety and easier meals. There is a big community over at FaceBook but I just wondered if anyone was here.. :-)

Last edited by Nora52; 12-27-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

I am in the process of reading wheat belly and am excited to get started. Have done atkins in the past and love the flexibility of wheat belly. We could start a thread together if you would like. I am starting today to eliminate wheat from diet but plan to go full force on Jan 1st (should be done book by then and gotten my house cleaned out of the holiday junk).
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #12  

Hi Mary, That is a great idea. I would love to have a weight loss buddy . I need to lose more... I would say at least another 30 pounds. I have done Atkins before and Wheat Belly is much easier. You will love it! I have no hunger at all . I keep meaning to try the lovely WB bread recipes but I do not even need them.. It is amazing how just a tiny amount of wheat can ruin and cause so many problems. I ordered the WB Cookbook and another one which follows the same plan.. Satisfying Eats. I hope you find the WB book interesting. I know I did and it all made sense to me...why all my previous dieting had either failed or been difficult to maintain.

Last edited by Nora52; 12-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Sounds great. I would like to lose about 20 lbs. Have you cut all sugars out of your diet too. I usually have one cup of tea a day (when I go to work) with 1 tsp of sugar. Just can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners in tea. Will try a week still using that 1 tsp and see how it goes. If my cravings persist I will cut it out. Almost done the book already. Skipped to the getting started part cause the technical stuff was too much for one day. I just couldn't comprehend anymore! lol! So have about 4 more chapters of the technical stuff to go and will be done. Already convinced at how horrible it is for the human body.

Quick question. He says to avoid things like oatmeal or bananas but then uses them in a few of the recipes in the book. Are you suppose to use them in very limited quantities if you want or only use them once you reach goal?
maryshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #14  

I still use a little sugar and I am still losing weight.. but I take metformin so that may control my Insulin levels more than yours. Ideally there should be low sugar <15grams carbs per meal to lose weight but YMMV. You can only try it and see. Can you switch to a "sweeter' herbal type tea? I always have my coffee and tea without any sugar at all. The tea I like is Twinings Lady Grey which is slightly flavoured with orange and lemon peel. I use Elana'a Almond Flour cookbook and use sugar in half quantity ( instead of agave syrup) and have one of the choc chip cookies a day and I still lose weight.. I worked out there would be a teaspoon of sugar per cookie. But I have ordered Satisfying Eats cookbook ( she lost 60 pounds on WB ) and her recipes are all sweeteners... but she recommends only one brand of Stevia... I have not tried any of those recipes yet. I am waiting on the WB CookBook to arrive. It is getting awesome feedback already. When you finish the WB book - go back and reread it. It has so much info that it takes all of us 2 reads to absorb it all :-) I made a few mistakes to start but am on track now. When you eat WB you soon feel the difference when you are not on track...

Last edited by Nora52; 12-29-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora52 View Post
I have been searching the paleo and primal diets but they don't seem like Wheat Belly and seem much more complicated.They also include honey or maple syrup.
Judging paleo for it's acceptance of honey, is a bit like judging Ideal Protein for allowing fresh dairy (even though, if I'm remembering correctly, only 1 tablespoon of dairy is allowed daily).

Yes it's allowed, but it's supposed to be a teeny, tiny, and entirely optional part of the diet. You do not have to eat honey or maple syrup on a paleo diet, and most paleo dieters don't use any at all or use it exceedingly sparingly (especially if they've read the most reputable paleo books which explain that higher-carb paleo foods really are only appropriate in extremely limited quantities and should be avoided by people who are not young, fit, healthy, and thin. And even those who are young, fit, healthy, and thin should be very careful not to overindulge in these foods).

Wheat Belly is not only similar to paleo diets, it IS A PALEO DIET. Although the author never uses the words to describe his diet, all the research he cites and all the logic he uses, is the same information that is used to support the paleo diets. His arguments are all paleo-based - that is that modern foods aren't like ancient foods, and that we need to live a more "primitive," whole-food lifestyle, with more foods that our ancient ancestors would recognize (which in most cases means foods with fewer carbs and more fiber).

There are many paleo diets, just as there are many low-carb diets. This means some are more complicated and restrictive than others.

It is also absolutely not true that all paleo diets include honey or maple syrup (most do not); and even those that do allow it, only advocate they be used in very, very small amounts, infrequently.

Paleo humans didn't have honey every day, or even every month, even when and where it was available. It was a very rare and special treat, and the average person might get a finger full every now and then.

Most modern paleo diets suggest that for weight loss, all high-carb foods (even the paleo ones) be avoided or carefully monitored, if not limited (and I'll list the questionable foods at the end of the post).

Many people don't get this if they don't read the paleo books carefully, or if they read books that are "rule-oriented" rather than information oriented, but the essence of basis of paleo is quite easy - and identical to that of Wheat Belly (which is why Wheat Belly is a paleo diet - it's just not the only paleo diet).

The part that all paleo diets agree on is very, very simple - Blood sugar control through a diet that contains foods that humans have been eating the longest. And in all paleo diets, 80 to 90% of the diet is to be based on eating primarily non-starchy, non-sugary plants, no "true grains," limited pseudo-grains, and "good" non-altered fats and protein sources (ideally from grass-fed sources, and if you can't afford or find mostly grass-fed sources, supplement with an omega-3 supplement such as flax seed and/or fish oil).

The 10 to 20 percent that paleo diets disagree on tend to be foods that never have to be eaten at all, and should never make up a large part of your diet (and you can avoid all of them without negative effects), especially if you're not already thin, fit, young, and healthy.

The "questionable" foods (that some plans allow, mostly in very small quantities and not usually for weight loss phases) include tea, chocolate, coffee (because of the caffeine and other stimulants in them), starchy tubers and root vegetables (beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, rutabega... and white potatoes are usually discouraged all-together), most fruit (except citrus and berries), dairy (when it's allowed, most often when it is, cultured and aged dairy like yogurt and cheese is preferred over fresh dairy), alcohol (especially distilled alcohol), eggs (because they're a common allergen, some dietary anthropologists believe that eggs were not a part of the early human diet - because most allergens are modern foods), as well as legumes, and cashews (and other foods that cannot be eaten raw).

It sounds like a long and complicated list, but it really isn't because as long as they're (in combination) only taking up a very small part of your diet, you're probably good to go, and can include them in very small amounts. They all mostly fall into two categories that are easy to avoid

1. Calorie-dense foods that are usually also high-carb.

2. Foods that are inedible raw, or require complicated processing to make edible.

The great thing about understanding the similarities and differences between Wheat Belly and other common paleo diets is that once you understand the theory, you can tweak it to your own needs, and you can use cookbooks interchangeably.

I've found that on a primarily paleo diet, I can use just about all Atkins recipes and about 80-90% of all other plans that are based on blood-sugar control.

This includes the Insulin-resistance diets, many diabetic diets (some diabetic diets are too high-carb), the paleo and low-carb diets (including Wheat Belly), many of the diets designed generically for autoimmune disease as well as specific autoimmune diseases (such as diets for those who are hypothyroid).