Old 04-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default Counting carbs with Insulin Resistance???

Ok, I'm not sure about this one...I have been trying to keep my carbs "down" - I buy the very low carb 7 grain bread from trader joes (7 g carbs per slice with 3 g fiber per slice)...I buy the 75% less sugar juice and try to keep that to 8 - 10 oz...

Thing is - I have Insulin Resistance...according to the "Insulin Resistance Diet" I need to "link and balance" my carbs/protein and I can have up to 30 g. carbs per meal (as long as I have 14 g protein...)

For those of you who have IR or are familiar with all of this...I just have a few questions...

I finally found a website i LOVE for counting my food (thedailyplate.com) - and today I went ahead and counted EVERYTHING...now - granted, I had fries for dinner (baked, at home) but still carbs nonetheless...lol - for my TOTAL carbs - it says "35% of daily caloric need" and I've had 227 grams carbs today!!!! (yes, I realize that sounds like a LOT)..

I want to keep it at 100 g per day (which I could do about 25 per meal and 25 between two snacks...)

What i'm confused on is - well, I know that Dairy (ff milk, ff/lf yogurt), Beans, SOME fruit (apples, plums, peaches and a few others) and something else (i can't remember) - the carbs in these items you do NOT have to "count"...correct?

So - if I have a glass of milk - which has 12 carbs in it PLUS something I would have to count which HAS say 27 g carbs in it - that would be "OK"...correct?

Also - when counting carbs - if I have a high fiber item - such as the LaTortilla Factory tortillas...am I allowed to subtract the fiber from the carbs? ie: there's 11 grams carbs & 8 g fiber...does that make it only have "3 net carbs"?...does this thinking/math work for people with IR?

And for those items (such as milk / beans etc...) that I don't have to "count" according to the book - these would NOT be counted within the 100 g carbs/day right???

Anyone? Please - I would REALLY appreciate these answers. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Indychick829; 04-30-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #2  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I am diabetic (insulin resistance is basically the gateway to diabetes) and the nutrition classes/nutritionists I talked to said that you have to count milk, beans, and especially fruit. Those hidden carbs are the ones that add up and will affect your blood sugar.

The only things I do not count are most vegetables. I do count corn, potatoes, peas, and winter squashes.

I was also told that you can subtract fiber as long as it is at least 3 grams of fiber.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

never hear of not coutning any carbs, they all will impact the glucose soung that you have, If you think about it the body still has to deal with them like do you not count the highway miles?? the reason fiber is nto counted is because the body has to process the carbs inteh fiber and it does nto affect the glucose. so if I eat 10 grams of fiber=10 carbs the body will not have an insulin spike with it. if I eat a fruit or glass of milk (which is reccomeneded to give diabetics when they are having an insulin reaction because of the release of glucose when you eat the food) you will have an insulin spike from the glucose. even if it is only 10 carbs.

what you want to look up is the low glycemic foods, they do not have as much of an insulin spike with the intake it last longer to alow the body to use it more effectively but it is not released all at one time.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Can I ask a question ?

How can you tell what has a low GI # by looking at the nutritional labels in stores? or can't you?

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #5  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

You can only tell if it's low carb, if it's low carb it will not have much glycemic impact. There are guidelines on the internet that can help you chose. However, the experience of most people who measure the impact on blood glucose find that it's highly individual. For some people, beans raise their blood sugar like nothing else, for some people they don't. Same thing with carrots, some people swear carrots raise their blood sugar, I have not found that to be the case.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

for low glycemic you really need to know what foods they are. foods high in fiber are better for you than others, it is not one thing, usually fruits and fiber filled stuff are lower glycemic and white breads and processed foods and those with sugar are high glycemic. there is some information out there but it needs to be searched. the sites I use to know are just that used to know. they have either gone or you have to pay to belong. I did find dome infromation out there not to long ago when i was explaining it so one of my friends. I will see if I can find it. they do not give full line of foods but you can get the idea. obviously the lower the number the better it is.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemi...index_of_foods

I first read about it from this guy dr mendosa here is a link to his site
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

just to start
http://www.nutritiondata.com/topics/glycemic-index

this last one has a simplified list with out the glycmic load and index factors and a bit more extensive http://www.becomehealthynow.com/article/carbs/8/
Old 05-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Bluex I can totally understand that. If I eat a bagel, 2 hours later I get the worst shakes and feeling like Im gonna pass out...aweful. It really takes a lot of paying attention to your body once you understand all this GI stuff to see which foods work and which ones dont. THANK !!! and WHOAHH Congratulations on meeting your goal !!! YEAH !!!!!!!

Great links Sue.... I like the nutritiondata link... simple to read.

When I read this I had an AHHHH moment.

Example - How the Glycemic Index can encourage overeating:
Apples have a GI of 38 (as shown in the table above), and a medium-size apple, weighing 138 grams, contains 16 grams of net carbohydrates and provides a Glycemic Load of 6. This is a low GL, and most would consider the apple to be a very appropriate snack. But now look at peanuts. A 4-oz serving not only weighs less than the apple, but has a much lower GI (14), and provides an even lower GL of 2. Based on Glycemic Load alone, you would have to believe that the peanuts were a better dietary choice than the apple. But if you take a look at the Calories contained in these two foods, you'll see that the apple contains approximately 72 Calories, while the peanuts contain more than 500! Those 400+ extra Calories are NOT going to help you lose weight.

So the key to this sort of eating (for weight loss) is a combination of low carb and low fat.... hmmmmm can you say Atking LOL.

This is good stuff... Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Leenie; 05-04-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

agree I can not do the low glycemic but when I do carbs I try to pick foods that are low glycemic if I have a choice. (when I am op) like I will chose a fruit rather than white bread, knowing that it will not spike the insulin that much...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Definitely check out MAGIC FOODS thread in dieting with obstacles thread.
Don;t know how to post threads--- but check it out! all about gi/gl....
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 248.5/222/188

Height: 6'0"

Fat free dairy is far higher in carbs than natural dairy foods are. In general, Frankenfoods are not your friends. Sounds like you are still eating lots of grains with breads and tortillas and such.

(Isn't this the controlled carb part of the board? Am I lost)
MarblesLongGone is offline   Reply With Quote