Old 02-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #1  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

Smile Excerise and Protein

I've always heard that you drink your protein shake after your workout so the protein can help speed the rebuilding of the muscles broken down during working out. Today I was searching the web and found this:

Q: When is the best time to eat protein so as not to turn it into glucose, before or after exercising?

A:
Eating protein before exercise may be best because exercise may burn the glucose before it is stored. However, we do not have specific studies that support this. The safest bet is to never consume more than 7 to 8 oz per serving. Only excess protein will convert to blood glucose.

This is from someone who works in Atkins Research and Development. Your thoughts?
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I can only say what works for me....I like to eat or have a high protein shake before doing my workout and I've never experienced any problems
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 139/139/125 or 9 stone goal

Height: 5'2

It depends on what you are looking for. My trainer said to have protein after my lifting program to build the muscle that we just tore. I am looking for muscle definition. building muscle is important to speed up my metabolic rate. I saw a remarkable difference quickly following this advice. I also have at least 25lb to 30lbs of protein within 1hr of my lift.

Each person is different as is their goals.

Good luck.
Britmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I too have my protein drink after my workout. My program calls for working out on an empty stomach (it's supposed to burn fat better) and then I drink my protein drink (to provide necessary building blocks for muscle growth). I just feel too full after I drink it, to work out anyway. But hey...you might want to try it both ways and see what works for you! Best of luck! Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #5  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I've been drinking a low carb protein shake for breakfast because I read it helps get the body going in the morning. I also read it's good to drink one after your workout but I haven't been diligent with my workouts so I haven't done this. So, I have another question about carbs and working out. I read conflicting info about not eating carbs and being able to build muscle. I could be reading it wrong but some sources say you won't have enough energy to workout if you don't add a carb like oatmeal, brown rice or whole grain bread to your diet. Right now I'm eating lean protein and veges; no sugar, potatoes, white rice, pasta, or bread. I hope I'm making sense and my question is can you build muscle and get a lean body on a low-carb diet?

Last edited by deedee10; 02-28-2008 at 06:48 PM.
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Deedee...I'm really not sure that it matters too much (the before/after thing). I think it depends on how YOU feel. Your body will let you know the best time for you. As far as gaining muscle...well, protein is the building blocks for muscle...butttt.....carbs are the fastest and cleanest fuel burned. To answer your question....YES!! Absolutely! In my opinion...low carb and exercise together is like pb & jelly! Just remember that "low-carb" doesn't mean "no-carb". Our bodies do need carbs to function and especially if your gonna do a vigorous workout regimen...you definately want to start adding carbs (oatmeal, bananas, more salads & veggies)...but just make sure to stay away from the unrefined carbs (sugar, white things, etc.)...they sabotage your workout efforts! Hope this helps. Joyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee10 View Post
I've been drinking a low carb protein shake for breakfast because I read it helps get the body going in the morning. I also read it's good to drink one after your workout but I haven't been diligent with my workouts so I haven't done this. So, I have another question about carbs and working out. I read conflicting info about not eating carbs and being able to build muscle. I could be reading it wrong but some sources say you won't have enough energy to workout if you don't add a carb like oatmeal, brown rice or whole grain bread to your diet. Right now I'm eating lean protein and veges; no sugar, potatoes, white rice, pasta, or bread. I hope I'm making sense and my question is can you build muscle and get a lean body on a low-carb diet?
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #7  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Bambifox, I understand now and it does help a lot. I'm in no danger of a vigorous workout right now but I'm working up to it someday. Thanks again!
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

One of the programs I've read "TNT", by Jeff Volek and Adam Campell (Jeff Volek is involved with ground-breaking low carbohydrate research at UConn) suggests making a 50g protein shake and drinking half of it before a workout and half of it after. That is, of course, in reference to weight lifting and HIIT for the most part and not for steady-state cardio.

Last edited by Azure; 02-28-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote