Old 08-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #1  

Question Rattlesnake?

I had fried rattlesnake for supper last night. I wasn't really sure how many calories to count, so I just estimated based on lean white meat.

Anybody know of any more accurate way to count the calories?

Cheryl
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Ummm, first can I say, "EW!!!"

I couldn't imagine snake being high in fat/calories because it is long and slender. Now if snakes looked like elongated marshmallows, then we might be talking a heftier caloric content, BUT I must asked what exactly did you fry the little snakey in? Was it in oil or butter? You might want to add in more calories if your reptile fare was paticularly greasy
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A nice three-ounce chunk of rattlesnake has only 79 calories and two grams of fat, compared to a three-ounce chicken thigh, which has 129 calories and four grams of fat. The chicken does come out a bit ahead on protein, with 23 grams, versus the snake's measly 15.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #4  

Deep-fried in veggie oil. Breaded with flour, salt and a little Tony's. Didn't seem too greasy! Very lean--texture-wise, kinda like lobster. Did NOT taste like chicken
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I have no idea although I did try to look around for you. However, I'm fascinated to know how it happened that you had rattlesnake for supper.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #6  

Quote:
A nice three-ounce chunk of rattlesnake has only 79 calories and two grams of fat, compared to a three-ounce chicken thigh, which has 129 calories and four grams of fat. The chicken does come out a bit ahead on protein, with 23 grams, versus the snake's measly 15.
Ah! Thanks! I over-estimated, but that's not a bad thing! Of course, it was fried, so maybe I didn't count over by too much!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

"A nice three-ounce chunk of rattlesnake has only 79 calories and two grams of fat, compared to a three-ounce chicken thigh, which has 129 calories and four grams of fat." I copied this from:
http://www.davisnet.com/news/e_news_archive/0307.asp
It looked somewhat like a blog or newsgroup, but perhaps the information is correct...
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #8  

Quote:
I have no idea although I did try to look around for you. However, I'm fascinated to know how it happened that you had rattlesnake for supper.
We took a ride on the mule (4-wheeler) on Sunday through a nice, shady part of the woods behind our house. The snake was stretched full-length (4--4 1/2 feet) across the trail we were on. I pointed it out to hubby, who proceeded to get a stick (not the shovel, which was also in the back) out of the mule and kill it. He took it home, skinned it, cut it into pieces (each seperate vertebrea), soaked it overnight in salted water, breaded and fried it last night.

As far as I know, that's the 1st he's ever cooked and DEFINATELY the 1st I've ever eaten.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 146/138/135

Height: 5'6"

okay, i have to ask - where in the world did you get rattlesnake? i am in the south too, but i have no idea where in the heck to get that, lol!!!
gabrielbeth

NEVERMIND
I JUST READ YOUR LAST POST AND YOU EXPLAINED IT ALL!!!
gabrielbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #10  
GmaTo8

What I want to know is... did your DH save the rattlers?
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:30 AM   #11  

Nope. He gave the hide to one of his friends, rattlers still attached, to tan for a belt.