Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 PM   #1  

Default What Am I doing Wrong?

I lost a lot of weight in the past, about 200 pounds. I recently gained 80 back (over the past year). But I have manged to get myself to the gym again. I go 2-5 times a week. I do cardio for 30 minutes three times a week and weights for 30 minutes twice a week. I have limited my calories to about 1500 a day. Also, I don't eat a lot of processed food, I cook my own foods and balance all the groups as best I can. I hae been doing this for two months. The first month I lost 12 pounds. This last month I didnt lose any weight at all and no iches either. Anyone have any advice? Im getting really down about it. In fact I ended up bingging today because I was so frustrates with the lack of results. The last times I lost weight it came off so easy and steadily. Its much harder now. Any advice at all??
Joy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Well, sounds like you're doing a lot right, but ...

1) What do you weigh now? Are you sure you're eating a good amount to lose at your weight? (not too little, not too much?)

2) Are you sure you're eating that amount? Do you measure and track?

3) Plateaus, unfortunately, are a normal part of weight loss for many. Some people have plateaus that last months. My advice for that is to try to focus less on the scale and more on your behaviors! You're eating well and exercising and creating the kind of body you want for life! These behaviors are helping you even if you can't see the progress now and are things you should be doing anyway, right? Celebrate those accomplishments! The scale will move eventually -- but you have to remember the scale is and is trying to trick you into quitting!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 AM   #3  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Ditto what Wyllen said.

Also, I don't know how long muscle takes to develop, but is it possible since you are using weights that you have shifted to more muscle in place of the fat this month? Muscle does weigh more than fat. Just another thought.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Have you got a heart rate monitor? I found mine to be quite enlightening when I saw how I wasn't working out quite as hard as I thought I was. I aim for 70% of max when I'm doing cardio....burns hecka calories. Weight training is great, but unless you are circuit training (lots of jumping jacks, ect) it doesn't burn calories...and in the end you've got to burn those calories...I like to split up my gym time to 1/2 an hour weight training and 1/2 an hour cardio...4 days a week. 1 day a week is an hour straight cardio...2 rest days.

I also agree with wyellen...as usual You are in this for life, girl....it's a loooonnggg journey, but a very interesting one with lots of hills and falling into ditches and meadows full of flowers and butterflies and sunshine...hmm how much coffee have I had this morning?
Anyhoo....we might be able to tell you more witha few more details...how many pounds from goal are you now? If you are using Fitday - and you don't mind posting a link...we might be able to troubleshoot for you.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote