Old 07-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/171/145

Default Maintenance Calories Formula

I just posted this under a different thread but I thought folks might find it helpful:

For all us Math nerds out there, here's the formula for finding daily maintenace calories for a sedentary lifestyle. (I always do my calc based off sedentary, then just calculate any exercise seperately)

10*weight+6.25*height(in inches)-5*age(in years)-161

So I'm 193 right now 5'6''(66 inches) and 27 so

10*193+6.25*66-5*27-161 = 2046.5 maintenance calories per day

It can be a lot less than you think. My personal experience is that this has been very accurate over the last 5 months, and using it I've lost an average of 3 pounds a week.

Hope this helps!
Analystbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/138/120

Height: 5'5

Hmmmm.... mine is around 1300 calories per day...that seems pretty low. Even if I do my cardio every day, that means I can have a max of 1600 calories per day to "maintain" 120, once I get there?!?!?!
MaryKate'sPillStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/171/145

Default I think that . . .

I think once you reach your maintenace weight you use the following adjustments.

Sedentary = Maint. Cal. X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = Maint. Cal. X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Mod. active = Maint. Cal. X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Very active = Maint. Cal. X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extr. active = Maint. Cal. X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

That would put you around. 2250 a day

This works if you were not formally obese (technically obese) then I think you don't use the modifiers above.
Analystbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

"Formulas" for what calorie level we should be at for weight loss and maintenance have been discussed numerous times here-and pretty much any of us who have lost a great deal of weight and maintained that loss have come to the conclusion that they aren't accurate.

The concept of them is a good idea, but they don't work for everyone. There are simply too many variables-such as age, genetics, personal metabolism, actual activity level (much more complex than just saying sedentary or active), how much muscle mass a person has in their body-and many other factors.

One person who is 140 pounds and trying to maintain may very well be able to eat 2000 calories a day to maintain that loss, and the next person of that very same weight and percieved activity level may only be able to eat 1700 to maintain their loss. It is a very personal thing, and it really comes down to personal trial and error-slowly adjusting your own calorie intake and seeing what level you lose and maintain at yourself.

They also don't take into consideration WHAT you are eating...and that is a huge part of it as well. Eat 1500 calories a day of simple carbs like 100 calorie packs and white pasta, or eat the same calories but consisting of lean protein, fruit, veggies, and whole grains instead-and you can get completely different results over time. A calorie is a calorie, but the body utilizes "healthier" calories better than junk.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote