Old 01-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5' 6''

Default I am soooo confused

K hi all -

Ok I have read the Calorie Queens book and have been counting calories and all but I am trying to set my nutritional targets can anyone tell me what I should be eating on a 1600 calorie diet ie fat grams, protein, carbs, fiber. I just can figure it out - help!!! I am using Calorie King software right now I have logged:

no more than -

Calories: 1600
Fat: 48g
Carbs: 180g (is that too high?)
Protein: 50g - with the protein I usually go about 10 gms over is this bad - am I on the right track? Any help would be appreshated (I am also taking a mutivitian - One A Day Maximum - and working out 6 days per week for 45 min each day) Thanks
lovedaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #2  
LLV

Everyone's nutritional needs are different. It's basically about running the track and finding what works for you as an individual. It took me a while to figure out my limits.

Sorry I couldn't help you better, maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Well my 2 cents .... Your ratios also depend on how much excercise you do, someone running marathons will need a LOT more carbs. A weight lifter will need a LOT more protein. I run AND weight train heavy so I vary my intakes depending on how hard I have worked and what I have done on a particular given day. One thing you should make sure of is to eat your carbs as unprocessed as possible, eat oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat breads, sweet potatoes, they will keep you satisfied longer and keep your blood sugar levels more even. Your proteins should also be as lean as possible eggwhites, chicken breast, lean cuts of meat...

Like Linda said you have to experiment.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5' 6''

Default Thanks

That does make since I think that I will work on what I got right now if I start to feel run down I will up my intake on carbs and protein - right now I feel like I am on track. but we will see the more I get into it!! Thanks again
lovedaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Your fat intake seems on target. 27% of your total intake is from fat. I think it is recommended to not go over 30%. To figure out the percentage (although you probably know this), multiply the fat grams by 9 and divide that number by your total calories. To find out the other percentages, multipy by 4. (Alcohol grams are multiplied by 7.)

Fat: 48 x 9 = 432 / 1600 = 27%
Carbs: 180 x 4 = 720 / 1600 = 45%
Protein: 50 x 4 = 200 / 1600 = 13%

Why does this only add up to 85%? Shouldn't this add up to 100%?

Hmmmm...

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My best suggestion is much like Linda and Ilene's. Keep fiddling until you can get your 1600 calories in and then start tweaking from there.
You'll discover big foods ... those that you can eat a whole bowl full and still have few calories. You'll discover how much a tablespoon of butter can throw everything out of wack. You'll discover how you can put things back into wack by eating a can of tuna.
If you've already got your 1600 figured out, fiddle with it now. Put your food in before you eat it and then decide if you need to make changes.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote