Old 09-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #1  

Default Concession Stands - Dilemma

In two weeks my daughter will be participating in a cheerleading competition for the league. This past week the coaches held a parents meeting in which they informed us of the rules. One of those rules is there is no coolers (food or drink) allowed through the gate. This poses a real issue for a calorie counter since it's an all day event. We leave a meeting point at 8:00 a.m. and trophies aren't awarded until that evening. The reason they have this rule is because it's a fund raising time for the hosting team.

For the away games what I've been doing is grilling myself a chicken breast, putting it between two pieces of whole wheat bread with just a little fat free ranch dressing. I'll put the sandwich and a few raw veggies in a container and take them to the game with me. However, this won't work for an all day event with no refrigeration. This means I'm almost reduced to a day subject to a "everything fried - high calorie - high fat" concession stand. Oh yes, and it's in a town of about 500 (extremely small) so no place to leave and go buy lunch.

Any help or ideas?

I thought about leaving a cooler in the car BUT I'm not sure if the gate is at the stadium or the parking lot and how easy it will be to get in and out without repaying admission. Another thing I thought about was carrying small lower calorie items that don't need refrigerated in my purse (it's a bag style) for small snacks throughout the day? But I can only think of tuna cans, lol

Is it even legal to force people to eat fried coronary risking foods, lol? It's the 21st century....doesn't this fall under "medically necessary"?!?!

*sigh*
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'd put the veggies and tuna in a cooler in the car. They'll stamp your hand or something. You should be able to get in and out. I'd also put a protein bar or two in my purse. Take lots of change for bottled water or diet coke.
If you have to eat the crude ... just try to take it easy. Share with someone and don't let yourself get ravenous. Even horrible food-like substances are better if you eat small, frequent meals. Read up before hand if you have some idea what they serve, then you can make the best choices.
Once in a while, an occasion arises and we just have to take it on the chin. Just be very good next week. It all averages out.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

A big purse can prolly hold an insulated lunch sac and some blue ice....then you can have your chicken sandwich (which sounds pretty tasty BTW)...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/149/127ish

Height: 5'4"

why don't you have a bag, and then get those ice packs, and it will keep your stuff cold all day. Or you could have granola bars? or just little snack things like that. crackers, or something. Having junk for one day won't derail your diet. It's like if you ate healthy for one day it wouldn't make you lose weight, so eating bad for one day, won't make you gain weight. If you stay within your calorie range then you'll be fine. And if not, who cares so you're over for one day. it won't kill you. give yourself a nice treat.
raiatheplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #5  

First of all, make sure you eat a good, hearty breakfast before you head out to the competition. You'll want something that will stick with you for a while. I'd keep something in my purse that I could snack on throughout the day - almonds, raisins, fruit, crackers, a baggie full of whole grain cereal, etc. One of the portable tuna packs that you mentioned is a good idea. That should at least get you through the day. Then you would only need to worry about eating your evening meal from the concession stands. Just choose the lesser of all evils when you order and make sure you keep your portions in check.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for some great ideas! I hadn't thought about the health bars or granola bars.

I would be willing to just relax a bit that day but I relaxed this weekend...and ate the chili cheese fries! OMG, I was soooooo sick. But that's actually good news. Perhaps my eating habits and desires have finally changed along with my mindset.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #7  

100 Calorie Snacks That Would Survive A Day In A Purse:
-3 Cups Popcorn -10 Almonds -22 Nabisco Air Crisps
-dried Fruit (apricots, Craisins, Apples) -grapes -berries
-an Apple -100 Calorie Snack Packs By Nabisco
-10 Cashews

Good Luck! You Can Resist All Temptation!
tampagirlcmb is offline   Reply With Quote