Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/120/125

Height: 5'6"

Question Pick my Plate!

Please!!!

So, I've been counting calories as a way of maintenance for quite sometime now. I probably worry about it more than I should, but as a former obese person, I have an unrational fear of gaining weight again. Normally I do o.k. eating out and estimating calories if the nutritional info isn't available. However, this place has me stressed out! I am scheduled to have a business dinner at this place tommorrow. It's with co-workers, so I want to keep my order somewhat "normal".

What do you think is going to be my best bet and what do you estimate the calories would be? I was thinking about the scallops or the salmon...but UGH! Some of this stuff I don't even know what it is, let alone what is not going to be insanely high in calories.

http://www.rm39.com/menus/dinnermf.pdf

http://www.rm39.com/menu.htm
Mollewogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

The sea scallops are the lowest in calories. Well actuall the tomato carpaccio is the lowest but okra and sea beans...BLECH! In my opinion anyhow.

The salmon definately will have more calories than the salmon, especially with the chorizo.

All that being said, I would eat a lower calorie breakfast and lunch and go for the Filet. I would order it without the demi glace...#1 it will save calories, #2 a good steak should stand alone and not need any sauce! Again that is my opinion. I would probably only eat 1/2 to 3/4 of the steak. I have sort of made steak my go to meal if I am dining out. In my neck of the woods seafood can be a crapshoot...although I love it, I hate paying money for it and ending up not so great seafood.

The menu sounds amazing! the most important thing is to enjoy what you are eating! Good Luck!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #3  
It's all about the fluff.

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/175

Agree with KateB on the filet. Or pick any protein you are familiar with, calorie-wise and have them leave off sauces, oils, etc. Also ask them how it's prepared.

Looks like a more upscale place than the typical sit-down restaurant, so I'm sure they'd be more than willing to cook to your needs.
everanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

Yep, I'd also go with the filet, and agree it shouldn't need sauce. If you feel uncomfortable asking for it without sauce, I'd maybe count the steak calories and add maybe 50-100 calories for the sauce. You should be able to type 8 oz filet into anyone of the calorie sites and get an idea for how much it is. Steak is great protein, so you really can't lose there - unless you don't like steak.

Besides, steak prices are going to skyrocket pretty quick here so might as well have some now.

It might be worthwhile asking if they have an alternative vegetable like broccoli instead of potatoes.

Last edited by Vex; 08-20-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #5  

All thanks for the advice...I'm going to take it! Plus the steak has the most easily identifiable sides
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

That menu looks really interested... and the prices are incrediblely reasonable... Here in New York all of those prices would be at least double, maybe more! That being said I would have to disagree about ordering the filet without the demi glace... the reason being you can tell that those chef's put a lot of thought and effort into that menu and that demi glace is part of that dish for a reason and not just as an after thought... and the reality is yes demi glace is rich, but my guess is from looking at that menu the dish won't be swimming in it...

I would look at it as a special occasion... a chance to try something new and be a little adventurous... Eat a bit lighter during the day, maybe get a bit more exercise this week, but first and for most enjoy your dinner... Why should you feel guilty about your choice anyway? That menu is all about using the best quality ingredients from local farms... I mean even if you had 3 or 4 courses from that menu it wouldn't be the end of the world... believe me there's a lot worse out there...

Please let us know how the food is... Hey you never know.... Maybe one us might be passing through one day and looking for a decent place to eat...

Bon Appetit!
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #7  

FYI - I did order the steak. Left the sauce, but swapped out potatoes for more grean beans. Surprisingly, the beans did not appear to be drenched in butter/oil. They were actually pretty light. The sauce situation worked out well though, as it was actually not slathered all over the steak and centered off to one side of the plate...so it was easy to avoid without being obvious about

Thanks all for the advice!