Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default Packed lunch ideas

So, I usually work from 10 till 6 ish, sometimes from 8 till 9 (like today). It used to be that I could fast between breakfast and supper but I have found I get too hungry lately. What are some good packed lunches I could take?

I have oatmeal and a 1/2c of yogurt for breakfast, and a glass of milk.

Supper is usually my heaviest meal, if I don't have a hearty supper I feel deprived. Our meal plan for this week is: soup for 2 nights, steak and steamed veg for a night and lean grilled ribs for a night. We usually plan meals for a week before doing shopping.

Currently I have wonderbread and margarine at home, some cold cuts...i think?

Should I make sandwiches? Next shopping trip should I get some lean cuisine thingies to warm up in the microwave? Are they expensive?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

They are but I don't find them particularly filling but they aren't bad either depending on what you have left for calories you can get some yum stuff
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Avoid lean cuisines if you can. Maybe grab a few just for those days when you don't have time to prepare something else. They're not really all that great for you.

Sandwiches made from cold cuts aren't all that great either—but you can certainly make a healthier sandwich.

If you're making a wrap or a sandwich, you can opt for whole wheat items or you can forgo the bread altogether and make a sandwich using lettuce as the bread. I've done it before and it's very tasty!

You say you make steak, steamed veg and ribs. Any time you make these meals (or others) for dinner, you can make extra and use that for your lunches. My family loves chicken Whenever we have grilled chicken for dinner, we always make extra so that it can be used for wraps for my brother and I (I make his lunch in addition to mine). You're already cooking that stuff, so it's no big deal to cook extra anyway!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I have spinach tortilla shells, are those any good?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #5  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Ditto on the re-use. I eat salad almost every day for lunch and it's topped with leftover grilled chicken or steak or a hard boiled egg.

Steamed veggies with a little meat and maybe some cheese could also be a filling low-cal lunch.

I try to avoid sandwiches because between the bread and meat the calories add up quickly, but once in a while I'll splurge on turkey or black pastrami and pita with a side of Special K crisps.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

You have a fridge/microwave? You could make extra when you make dinner and portion it plastic tubs into the freezer for your own "lean cuisines".

I don't have a fridge or heating facilities where I work, and this semester I usually have to eat quickly between classes so I bring sandwiches although in the past I have brought cold salads a lot. Bean-corn-tomato salad, potato salad, cole slaw. I usually grill chicken breasts a couple of times a week to cut up for the sandwiches because deli cold cuts are so salty, and more expensive than the chicken breast. I have a rotation of pita bread, dark rye, and wheat rolls with chicken and avocado, leftover steak, cream cheese and salmon, hummus, I usually think about what I have available the day before and sometimes prep it in the evening. Then a small tupperware with cutup raw veggies and fruit, sometimes with small pieces of cheese and nuts if I am short on the protein for the sandwich. It all fits into a small insulated sack with a frozen bottle of water and a small ice pack which keeps it at safe temperature until lunch.

Lean Cuisines are often on sale at Target or the grocery so watch the Sunday flyers. I think some are better than others, if you do a search on here you will probably find a thread of ones that people like. But if you cook at all I think you might be more satisfied with a piece of your own lasagna or pasta or chili. Chili freezes and warms up really great and is pretty easy to make.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #7  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

A good ole' peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread might keep you going longer than cold cuts.

I like bits of this and that for lunch~ a cheese stick, 20 nuts, some kind of fruit, yogurt, hummus and celery sticks, or salsa and cucumber "chips",...

...and like the above posters said, leftovers are great for lunch too!

...and when I don't have time for lunch I drink a low carb, high protein, low calorie shake.

Last edited by EatMoreCelery; 05-31-2012 at 08:00 PM.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote