Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #1  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Default eating back calories help???

i was doing really well at 1800 calories but now in the last few months i have gone done to 1450 due to weightloss. i usually do not eat back calories when i work out. but i was wondering could i eat back my calories i burn?

so this is my basic breakdown:

Maintain cals: 2447
Deficit: 1000
So eating calories a day:1447

So my question is, if I work out for 500 cals worth or 400etc. can i eat them back?

i know that technically the math adds up but i dont know if my body will take to it? I also know our bodies arent linear machines and things dont work out like the math on paper all the time.

does anyone have experience or advice?
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

I am far too new at this to offer good advice, but i have done lots of reading and quite frankly I find so much contradictory stuff!! I am think i'll ascribe to eating at least some calories back. If you doing hard workouts and if your lifting weights (which everyone should!) you need to have enough calories to build or even maintain the muscle mass you already have. And of course a lb of muscle is MUCH smaller than a lb of fat and muscle keeps the metabolism going. Anyways I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am eating extra calories on days i lift weights, and if I am really hungry I eay back calories on days I do alot fo cardio. Technically the math should work that you should be able to eat them back. Maybe if you arent hungry take it as extra calorie deficit, but listen to your body and if it needs more nutrition definietly give it some really good healthy calories.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #3  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I will generally eat back some of the calories I burn through exercise, but I usually don't eat them all back. Just depends on how my body feels that day. I just try to eat healthy options when I do this.
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #4  
Choose Your Hard

S/C/G: 180 / ticker / 140

Height: 5'5"

I do not eat back the calories. But then if I am dragging & super tired or out of energy then I will start eating more 100-200 calories & see if that helps. It is really tricky - there is a lot of info out there saying yes do eat them & no don't. So once again, the best advice is "do what works for you." Good luck & i hope you find something that works for you! =D
DollyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'd have to agree with DollyMichele—do what works for you.

You can use 1400ish as a base amount of cals and work from there. If you're hungrier on a particular day you can go higher, if not you can stick to 1400.

Working out doesn't necessarily mean you'll NEED those extra calories. My highest calorie day always seems to be my rest day, for example, because for some reason I'm always hungriest on that day. There are some days I'm under my calories despite working out like crazy!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #6  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

If I were you, I'd think about either adding an extra 200 calories (as a start) for a few weeks and see how that works for you. Or, I would try some calorie cycling where I would have some higher days and some lower days.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't necessarily eat back calories, but I zig zag my intake, and the days I workout are usually my high days.

For example. My daily goal is around 1600 cals a day. That gives me 11200 a week to work with. Some days I eat close to 1,200, some days I eat close to 2,000, but at the end of the week I'm still around 11200.

I wouldn't increase your calories to offset exercise, alone, though.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

How did you calculate your maintenance level of 2447? If you already included your weekly exercise regimen (e.g., moderate-to-intense exercise 5 times a week) to arrive at that figure, then it doesn't make sense to eat back your exercise calories if you want to stay at a 1000/day deficit. It would be like counting your exercise calories twice.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #9  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBfitnessbuff View Post
I am far too new at this to offer good advice, but i have done lots of reading and quite frankly I find so much contradictory stuff!! I am think i'll ascribe to eating at least some calories back. If you doing hard workouts and if your lifting weights (which everyone should!) you need to have enough calories to build or even maintain the muscle mass you already have. And of course a lb of muscle is MUCH smaller than a lb of fat and muscle keeps the metabolism going. Anyways I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am eating extra calories on days i lift weights, and if I am really hungry I eay back calories on days I do alot fo cardio. Technically the math should work that you should be able to eat them back. Maybe if you arent hungry take it as extra calorie deficit, but listen to your body and if it needs more nutrition definietly give it some really good healthy calories.
that sounds like a great idea eat it back only if im hungry. i like. thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterFunk View Post
I will generally eat back some of the calories I burn through exercise, but I usually don't eat them all back. Just depends on how my body feels that day. I just try to eat healthy options when I do this.
thats sounds good. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I'd have to agree with DollyMichele—do what works for you.

You can use 1400ish as a base amount of cals and work from there. If you're hungrier on a particular day you can go higher, if not you can stick to 1400.

Working out doesn't necessarily mean you'll NEED those extra calories. My highest calorie day always seems to be my rest day, for example, because for some reason I'm always hungriest on that day. There are some days I'm under my calories despite working out like crazy!
alright cool. so just eat when i feel like i need it. it makes sense. thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
If I were you, I'd think about either adding an extra 200 calories (as a start) for a few weeks and see how that works for you. Or, I would try some calorie cycling where I would have some higher days and some lower days.
i think im going to do the extra 200. i havent been losing for almost 1 1/2 months due to cheating so much from feeling so hungry. so i think i just need to up my cals a tad bit. thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
I don't necessarily eat back calories, but I zig zag my intake, and the days I workout are usually my high days.

For example. My daily goal is around 1600 cals a day. That gives me 11200 a week to work with. Some days I eat close to 1,200, some days I eat close to 2,000, but at the end of the week I'm still around 11200.

I wouldn't increase your calories to offset exercise, alone, though.
i see alright cool thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
How did you calculate your maintenance level of 2447? If you already included your weekly exercise regimen (e.g., moderate-to-intense exercise 5 times a week) to arrive at that figure, then it doesn't make sense to eat back your exercise calories if you want to stay at a 1000/day deficit. It would be like counting your exercise calories twice.

F.

I use loseit.com

it calculates at rest with no excercize other than sedentary lifestyle. so the 1000 is without excercize. then excercize would make it another 400-600 a day.
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote