Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #1  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Phone APP Advice

I need some input! I love calorie counting. I love knowing nutritional stuff I have tried to use a few different apps on my phone. However, I can't seem to stick with them. I feel like I always under estimate what I have eaten. How do you know exactly how much you've eaten/how to put it in correctly/ keep up the work. I know that I need to learn portion size. and I'm slowly working on it. What tips can you give me??
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'9''

I use the Lose it! app and find it very helpful. As you seem to be, I did go through and am currently working out of guess working my food and portions. I've started REALLY measuring my food (with measuring spoons and cups) and if the food item is not in the app I'll look up the calorie count online and add it as a food.

For me I just have to make being precise a habit and not eyeball it (definitely screws me up, my eyes are good at seeing what they want...). A cup is a cup and that's that.

Like you mentioned it's nice to know the nutritional information so after sticking with it strictly you know off the top of your head a lot of the nutritional info before you even enter it. Then it is easy to look back and see your habits, good ones to keep and not so good ones to improve on.

There are tons of different apps so try different ones out and find one you like that's convenient to use.

Good luck!
Bikini Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #3  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

I have a Blackberry and use the myfitnesspal app. I've used the website in the past but having the app handy has made such a difference. They have a great food list and I can track my water and exercise as well.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #4  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I am using MyFitnessPal (on iPhone) and love it. To me it was important to quickly find the foods and log them. They have a great database (more accurate entries I found compared to others) and they remember what you searched before and what you eat frequent. Give it a couple of days to learn and it is very easy and quick to enter.
They offer good charts and a community for support.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #5  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Glad to hear mfp also has an iphone app. Hoping to switch from BB to iphone in a few months.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #6  
going for gold

i have my fitness pal on my blackberry(work) and iphone(personal)and where ever i am i just add my lunch etc on to it and it automatically updates to the other phone (via the website i take it) and it works for me, and for either phone the app is brilliant, i havnt added anyone on the friends list yet tho do any of you ladies hv friends on your myfitnesspal?
Andynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #7  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I use Tap n' Track for iPhone/iPod Touch. It's the only thing I use for calorie tracking. It works offline, has a really large library of food (regular food, branded supermarket food and some common restaurant chains). Most of the foods also have a variety of measurements for counting cups, tbsp, tsp, grammes, oz... so you're not tied to just using cups or a weighing scale for a specific measurement. It's also nifty in that it calculates how much you should be eating at your current weight (which you can update daily) based on your activity level and weekly weight loss goal (1/2 a pound to 2lbs a week). Each time you enter in a food/meal, it tells you how many calories you've eaten that day and how many you have left. It also tracks your exercise and estimates how many calories you burned doing an activity based on your weight.

Honestly it's the coolest app I have. I use it every single day to track my food and workout calories and also it does nifty little graphs showing you your average calorie consumption and your nutrition for the day or the week (carbs, fats, proteins, sodium etc). When it doesn't have a recipe or food I want, it allows me to manually enter in recipes or nutrition information from the back of food labels.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #8  
1 lb at a time!

S/C/G: 294/ticker/150

fatsecret is amazing!
Slimmer Down Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #9  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

I also use MyFtinessPal on my Blackberry. I find most items really accurate.
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote