Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Oh My Goodness!

Hello,

This is my first try at calorie counting. I am starting with 1200 calories. I had what I considered a light lunch, well when I went to add up the calories it turned out that I had used 500 calories. I was shock because I was thinking I could have this really hugh dinner. It didn't dawn on me that the meal was that big. It really was an aha moment.

Now I know why I weigh what I weigh.
Imannott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Tracking what we eat can be an ENORMOUS eye-opening event. It's so easy to assume we don't eat as much as we really consume. But, then, when we start listing it out... there it is! Right in front of us, no mental fudging.

Side note: You may want to begin with more calories to start. That way you'll have some wiggle room as you lose more and more weight =)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #3  

Height: 5'10.5"

I hear you completely. I never knew but before I started tracking my calories I was consuming close to 2500 on a good day, 3000+ on a bad day. I was shocked as well. I would start a little higher as well, you don't want to starve yourself when you're not used to consuming smaller amounts of food. I am in my first month and I have my 1800 calorie days still and still end up feeling just satisfied enough, but I am losing weight because compared to what I was eating before it's nothing! So, yes it's shocking, but now you are armed with the information you didn't have before and there is something you can do about it. I've tried a zillion different ways of eating and I have only ever lost weight counting calories because otherwise, i just have no idea what I am consuming. And at least your weight is not a baffling dilemma! You know exactly what to do to get back feeling your finest. Good luck, hope to see you around on the forums!
purdumse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with the other 2 posters!! It is quite eye-opening. It also will take you a good few weeks to stay within your calorie goals. Give yourself some time!

As far as how many calories you're eating, I agree with the others. You want to get to a point where you lose 1-2lbs each week. If you start losing more than that you should be eating more. The more you weigh the more calories you need. You can google a calculator to show your calorie needs to maintain, lose and gain. They're pretty accurate, but every body is different. You'll still need to play with it to get it right, but it at least gives you a general range.

oh and !!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I am going to use a higher calorie count. I think because I have so much to lose -- I am going to use 1600 - 1800 calorie count. I want to take it slow rather than rush and feel as if I diet rather than a WOE for life. Also, I want to add exercise and now that I know what 1200 calories look like I am afraid I might not last.
Imannott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

1200 calories can be a lot, depending on what you choose. Sometimes it's a matter of picking one brand over another (as is the case with breads) and sometimes it's just fortifying your meals with vegetables and other low calorie foods so you don't feel so deprived. I know that I have to meal plan in order to be successful.

I think upping your calories would probably be a good idea, and then you have room to lower them when you get closer to goal.

You can do this!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I am finding that a calorie range is better for me than a strict calorie limit. So when I hit that bottom number I start to pull back and think in terms of the calories being gone, but if I really really need something else I can got toward the upper limit of my range if need be. Most of the time i stick to the lower end because I don't feel deprived or forced to...with a strict limit I feel almost sad when my calories are about gone
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #8  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Yeah, that's why I have to count. I'm better at eye-balling now, but you'd be surprised, how those calories creep up!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7

Welcome

Funny how when we pay attention to things we have these aha moments! I had them as well when I first started counting.

And like the others have said...start off with way more calories. I would say 1800-1900 would be a good count for you to start out and will give you plenty of wiggle room later on. Good luck!
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/151/110

Height: 5'0"

Around here, restaurants like Panera have started posting the calories in their food on the menu. I couldn't believe some of the calories! A woman in front of me in line a while back was becoming absolutely indignant over the fact that the "healthier choice" of a whole grain baguette for a side contained more calories than fried potato chips. It is difficult when things are presented as a healthier alternative and they are high in calories. It might have more redeeming value nutritionally, but for someone who is trying to control their weight, calories are (in my opinion) more important to consider when making healthy choices.
YogaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote