Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #1  

Default Going on Vacation and would love some advice

Hey Chicks,

I'm about to go on vacation and I thought it would be nice to get some advice and pointers on what others do to keep from getting derailed while traveling.

My plan is to take plenty of my normal snacks, drink lots of water and check my Loseit app for calorie counts before I order. There is a fitness room at the hotel and I MAY get up early and go down to use the eliptical or treadmill. I say MAY because I know myself and I don't like to get up early. I'm sure it is doable, but will I do it?
djett626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #2  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I think that packing a lot of your own snacks is a good idea. Where are you going on vacation? I'm sure you'll get a lot of exercise in just by being out and about every day!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #3  

Emme,

We are going to the Nickelodean hotel. Come to think of it, I'm sure that I will get lots of exercise playing in the pool and climbing stairs and standing in line to go down the slides!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #4  
~Kim~

I think your plan sounds good! I have to admit that I pretty much have no self control when I'm on vacation. When we went home for Thanksgiving last year I took a bunch of stuff with me to my sister's house where we were staying. I didn't end up eating 5% of it. I just decided I wanted to enjoy my time with my family. We were busy the whole time and though I enjoyed meals and had treats I didn't overdo it. When I got back home I'd still managed to lose weight!

My advice would be to make sure you're enjoying yourself. Don't be so anal about food that you feel like you're missing out on a good time with your family.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Good luck!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

Good luck!! Taking snacks is good. Maybe after 1-2 days where you know the type of food they serve, you can start planning out your meals too?

I find that I stay relatively the same during vacations. I may eat more, but I also walk and run and move around a lot more sight seeing and stuff! Have fun and good luck!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240ish/180/165

Height: 5'9"

My goal on vacations is just not to gain weight. I always allow myself to try the local cuisine and dine out, but I always eat much smaller portions than I would at home due to the rich food, and I also try to have one-two of the meals daily be very basic and healthful (like cereal for breakfast and a salad (light dressing) for lunch), then I'll have room for splurges at dinner and for dessert or snacks. Its really all about portion control. If you see F*** it, your going to gain weight. When I was heavier, I would gain 5-7 pounds on vacation, and that just feels awful! Wouldn't you rather stay the same or even lose a pound? Good luck!
sfree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #8  

Okay, I guess I need to update. I went down the road with good intentions. Well... I just lost it. I ended up eating what I wanted, resorting back to old ways. I went to the fitness room at the hotel 4 out of 5 days. I'm proud of doing that. It was kinda hard to ignore. There was a sign right outside of my door pointing to the fitness room. LOL I had never stepped foot inside a fitness room at a hotel.... the horror.. I'm supposed to be on vacation! But, I always felt better about it after I was done and the kids never even knew I was gone. I just woke my aunt up to say I was leaving. My best moment was walking down to the gym with my stuff in hand and a lady looked at me and said "We should all be doing that"
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #9  

Okay, I guess I need to update. I went down the road with good intentions. Well... I just lost it. I ended up eating what I wanted, resorting back to old ways. I went to the fitness room at the hotel 4 out of 5 days. I'm proud of doing that. It was kinda hard to ignore. There was a sign right outside of my door pointing to the fitness room. LOL I had never stepped foot inside a fitness room at a hotel.... the horror.. I'm supposed to be on vacation! But, I always felt better about it after I was done and the kids never even knew I was gone. I just woke my aunt up to say I was leaving. My best moment was walking down to the gym with my stuff in hand and a lady looked at me and said "We should all be doing that"

So, I drive over 12 hours home and I resort to junk when I had better things to eat. I felt bad about myself, but knew that I would just have to get back on track when I got home. I was exhausted!

We got in late Saturday night. Sunday, I apprehensively stepped on the scale. I didn't want to, but I had to see the damage that was done. +5.5 pounds Okay, I can't go back and change it. I have to move forward. I had my cereal, logged all my food AND drank lots of water and got right back to working out. This is Tuesday and I am now down to +1 from when I left. I'm assuming most was water weight. I'm right back on track! I learned a few lessons and I am not discouraged.