Old 02-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default Free foods

Do you count every single thing or do you allow yourself free foods like non starchy veggies like lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, etc? I have been doing WW and all veggies (except starchy ones) are "free." Just curious if anyone does this with calorie counting. Thanks for the input!
wnt2bthnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #2  

I used to let all veggies be "free", but over time I've realized that just doesn't work for me. I will over-eat celery and lettuce dipped in light dressings or whatever (those, I counted). But, I've come to realize I can really rack up the calories on "free" foods. Now I count them all. If I have a big salad I figure my veggies are ususally around 40 calories or so. I love veggies and I eat salad every day. That adds up over time. Personally, for me it makes a difference. But, I can see that for those that need to boost their veggie intake it might be motivating to not count them.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

The only "foods" I don't count are crystal light, sweet-n-low, and spices. I drink Crystal Light all day long - usually around 80 ounces - but I use double the water when I make it (too sweet otherwise), and so probably consume ~25 cal in Crystal Light each day. I usually have one sweet-n-low per day in my morning coffee, and I think that's something like 4 calories. And I don't bother to look up the calorie information on whatever spices I add to a meal (oregano, cinnamon, etc.).

The other thing that makes my daily calorie counts inaccurate is that I measure my food rather than weighing it.

However, I usually eat closer to the bottom of my daily calorie range (1200-1500), and so figure I'm still within it even when I take the crystal light, spices, measured vs. weighed food, etc. into account. The weight has been coming off consistently, and so I think what I'm doing is working ok for me.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

i dont count crystal light either, but thats about it... i also double the water to the crystal light lol
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If it has a calorie I count it .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #6  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I count non-starchy veggies if they are in a recipe, as part of figuring out the overall calories for the recipe. I don't usually count them if they're just on their own. I figure it's more trouble than it's worth (for me) to figure out if that serving of steamed broccoli is 13 calories or 27 calories, kwim?
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I don't count the milk i put in my coffee every day (we're talking 1 or 2 tablespoons a day...) or the communion wafer and wine on Sunday but that's it. I count everything else.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

On days when I am counting, I count everything. That said, I don't fret as much about whether it's 2 cups of lettuce or 2.5 cups, as I would about whether it's 3 oz. of fish or 4 oz. So I count everything, but the more calorie-dense the food is, the more carefully I measure it.

I don't count calories rigorously every day, though - just a few days a month, as a sort of reality check - the rest of the time, I trust my patterns and habits and eat approximately the same way as on the days I count. And I always eat lots and lots of green or leafy vegetables.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #9  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I don't bother counting "condiment" veggies, i.e., a piece of leaf lettuce or a slice of tomato on a sandwich. I do count larger servings, like salad or a side of broccoli though. Like Carter, I'm not super anal about measuring it, but it's enough food that I feel I should count it.

Other things I don't count...the shot of non-dairy creamer in my coffee in the morning, small amounts of nonfat condiments (i.e., hot sauce, mustard). I don't drink a lot of crystal light, but when I do, I don't bother counting that either...and I too only use half the packet!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I count everything that has calories, and I weigh/measure nearly everything. I wouldn't really consider it calorie counting if you're not doing that. How much more difficult would it be to really count everything? 10% more difficult? Why not do it?
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #11  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

The only things I don't count are my 0.1% milk in coffee and tea because I can't (don't) measure it, I don't use a lot really, and my sugarfree gum because it doesn't list the info
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #12  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

i count most things, the only things i dont count is stuff like lettuce on sandwiches, or if im baking veggies in the oven and decide to throw in a couple of mushrooms. i do count my coffee because i have milk and sugar, but once i get some low cal sweetener i wont count that either.
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #13  

Thanks for all the input! I think I will just count everything too to be on the safe side. Yesterday was my first day counting calories and I made it through the dreaded first day without too much trouble!
wnt2bthnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #14  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

I definitely count milk in my coffee, because I use whole milk and I drink a LOT of coffee. It adds up to about a cup of milk a day - maybe a little less but I don't take any chances, because a cup of whole milk is 150 calories. I count it.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Height: 5'4"

I don't count the cream in my coffee. Just drinking one cup each morning, I don't think it can do much harm.

Free fruits and vegetables might work for calorie counting, if one were to reduce the base amount of calories by a couple of hundred each day and then not count fruits and veggies. But I'm too used to doing the way I do now to change. Maybe if someone is just starting out, they might like to try it.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote