Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Default Checking In & Really Frustrated

Okay ~ so a few people know my situation in regards to my "home" well, last weekend the owner of the house went BSC (bat stuff crazy) and packed my stuff and threw it in the driveway and he kicked his son and fiancee out of the house as well. So I went to the shelter (which had beds - SURPRISE since they didn't in December) - and is actually nicer than the house I was in. They provide food and warmth and a safe place to stay at night. While that's great, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, they don't let you buy your own food and the stuff they serve is terrible for you. I'm talking hot dogs and mashed potatoes, chicken friend steak and greasy bacon/sausage/ham, grits, and so far nothing that I would consider healthy. That would be fine if I could use my food stamps to get food, but they don't allow you to bring stuff in. I did a random calorie count of the last three days and I'm going well over 2000 calories a day on their food. I try and walk but I don't think I can walk off 1000 calories a day. I'm so bummed and really bothered by the practices. The shelter I'm in is less than 20 women and if someone would counsel the people running the place, they could feed everyone in there (most of which are SEVERELY obese) with good, healthy food for the same price they are feeding everyone crap. It's so sad and it makes you really not want to eat what's there.

The good thing is I'm safe and am in a location where there are many job opportunities. The bad is that I swear if I stay too long I'm going to be as big as a house again. I can't let that happen and need to find a way around this "we're feeding you, we don't care if it's not healthy" attitude.

It's no wonder America has an obesity problem. The thought process of teaching people good nutritional habits is non-existent. The good thing - I figured out what I want to go back to school for and that would be Health and Nutrition. Someone needs to come in and teach institutions how to feed America in a healthy way.

Last edited by Jesse Taylor; 01-30-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #2  
The Awesomest

S/C/G: 320/275/180

Height: 5'8

Awwww Jesse, I'm sorry to hear about your situation! I didn't realize all that was going on for you.

I know what you mean about feeding people garbage. The school lunches are like that too. We rarely allow our kids to have school lunch because everything so so completely processed! We are more whole food eaters here .

I have my fingers crossed that you will find your way out of there quickly and get back on your feet so you can stay on track!
lifeasme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I'm thinking of you and hoping it improves.

As far as the stuff they serve, typically they use donated food so it's strongly possible that they really have no control over the food they're serving. Doesn't help your situation, I know. I'm sorry.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #4  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

*HUGS*
Is there anyway you can keep some healthy food at a friends house and go there to eat your meals?
Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time.
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #5  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Jesse, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. If they don't let you buy your own food to eat there, can you just go somewhere else to sit and eat and then go back to the shelter to sleep?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #6  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I have been thinking about this thread since last night and wishing that I had a useful suggestion to offer... and this evening I thought of an idea! No clue whether it would work or not, but it might be worth a try:

Do you have health insurance, or is there a health clinic you can visit for free? I'm wondering if you could explain your situation to a Dr. or nurse and ask them to write you a note (on a prescription pad or letterhead if possible) saying that you need to maintain your diet strictly because you... are pre-diabetic. or have a kidney condition. or something, anything. A letter from a medical office that you can take to the shelter that will convince them to bend the rules and let you bring in your own food.

I'm not a dishonest person and don't usually encourage people to lie... but seriously, this is nuts. Here you are trying to stay healthy, and you're surrounded by bad food and absurd rules. So maybe it's worth a try?

However you decide to manage this, good luck and stay safe.

Last edited by chickadee32; 01-31-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: missed a word
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote