Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Default What are you taking to holiday parties?

So, fellow CCers, what foods are you taking with you when invited to holiday parties and potlucks?

My usual go-to party food is veggies and hummus/baked chips and salsa. Easy, and I know exactly what and how much I can eat. I've stuck with this so far this season, but it doesn't feel very festive, KWIM?

Also, I have not one, but TWO cookie exchanges I have to attend (work-related, so no way to bow out). I'm OK with not eating anything at these events, but if anyone has a low-cal cookie recipe they're dying to share, I wouldn't turn you down!

Thanks!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #2  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

It's hard to find a "healthy" cookie, but I've done the meringue mushrooms before, and they're cute and tasty, lower calorie for a cookie

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Meringu...ms/Detail.aspx

I've also done something like the following - but leaving out the whipping cream, and just filling with a mixture of thawed frozen berries mixed with fresh diced mango.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawbe...ps/Detail.aspx

Another idea (although I've never made them) is this recipe from Hungrygirl for Peanut butter cookies

http://hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1787
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am taking hummus 7 layer dip.

The layers are:

diced cucumber
shredded baby spinach
red onions diced
diced tomatoes
kalmata olives
lowfat feta cheese

Instead of taking chips, I take waffle cut carrots.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 12-07-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

The cookie party passed without incident - I made double batches of two of my favorites (raspberry-almond shortbread and chocolate/PB no bake cookies) and only had ONE cookie! Although, I probably shouldn't have had that one, since I wanted to eat ten more after I was finished.

And, for this week's party, I've decided to make soup and bring it in a crock pot. I'm going to make low-cal minestrone, since the main dish - provided by the host - will be lasagna, and I'm going to use/modify this recipe:
Uncle Bill's Minestrone

My plan for that party is to eat some minestrone, have some salad (which I also signed up to bring) and have the world's smallest piece of vegetarian lasagna. No desserts - I'm still waiting for Christmas Day to have a piece of what I really want.

Last edited by JenMusic; 12-11-2010 at 12:17 PM.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I made a lasagna that's heavy on the protein, light on the pasta (I have to manage my carb intake because of PCOS). Others are bringing the salad and dessert and appetizers.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have taken a fruit platter to one event. I have 2 Christmas breakfasts, one at church and one at work. Last year I took a couple of Hungry Girl's Ginormous Oven-Baked Omelettes and they were well received. I think that I am going to repeat that again this year.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My attitude toward potlucks has completely changed.

I used to think of it as an opportunity to assert my personality, my ingenuity, some culinary skills, whatever.

Now I just think simple & healthy, and I'm perfectly happy to pick up a veggie platter at the grocery store's Deli Department & buy a tub of Sabra hummus.

Life is easier.

I can assert my personality, creativity & etc. in other ways. Like the new dress I'm wearing to the party.

Last edited by saef; 12-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I usually make brown rice sushi roles, with vegetables like cucumber, shredded carrot, and avocado. Sushi is hip and healthy. It is always gone later.

Rolling it is not so easy in the beginning. And make sure you have a really sharp knife to slice it. But it is cheap and everyone should experience making sushi rolls!

Although, I also sort of agree with Saef - I don't go ALL out anymore. There is SO much, TOO much good food surrounding us at all times. I think a lot of people are starting to naturally want the basics again.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 AM   #9  

I try to stick with a relatively healthy vegetable-based dish, knowing that there's a good possibility everyone else will bring something rich.

If I'm in a hurry: I buy cut veggies and dip at the grocery store, or a fruit salad.

If I'm feeling healthy: I make an awesome salad of greens, or a fruit salad.

If I'm feeling creative: I've made marinated mushrooms, bruschetta, vegetable soup, deviled eggs. Soup is a hassle if you have to bring it somewhere.

Last edited by Hyacinth; 12-14-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote