Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/135/140

Height: 5'6"

Default About this "ideal weight" thing

I am 5'6" and right now I'm at 146 - In the past two days I've had a couple of different people tell me that I am looking TOO thin....Huh?? According to the weight charts I've looked at, I am still in the very upper range for my ideal weight.

I would like to go for 140 which seems to be right in the middle.....I guess what people notice the most are my arms and legs, which ARE thin now. I've always had "chicken legs" (LOL) and small-ish arms.....but my hips and mid-section are still very fatty/flabby. Thats where ALL of my extra weight is. No one notices that cuz I always wear loose fitting tee shirts, I guess. How do I get rid of THAT without losing more in my arms and legs?
Mama2Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #2  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Time to look at weight training to muscle up your arms and legs. The middle will keep going down while the arms and legs gain some bulk and definition. In the end you will be proportionate!
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #3  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Seems like you can't ever win! One day you're too big, and the next you're too thin. (nice little rhyme there-haha)

Weight training is definitely a great idea. There's even a lot of "weight training" that can be done just with body weight. I've gotten a lot more definition in my arms lately from body weight only exercises.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Mainly, I think it's important to just listen to yourself and your own body and do what feels right to you, given that you're within normal weight and aren't suffering physically.

That said, I'd like to mention something I just saw today. I was watching Dr. Oz and yesterday's show was about plastic surgery. Yikes, I know! However, there was something about a new procedure that freezes off fat from your body and the results are almost as good as the invasive liposuction! There's no surgery and no downtime! Only thing is that it's expensive, but it was just FDA approved. Looks interesting! Here's an article on it:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/freezin...ry?id=11641994
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I'm pretty much the same, yet the opposite... 5'6", 145 lbs, and pretty content with my midsection but annoyed that my arms and legs seem a bit disproportionately large. :P Everyone I know tells me the same thing, that I shouldn't lose any more weight, but I can definitely see room for improvement in myself so I'm working toward a goal of a toned 130 lbs.

I heartily agree with the suggestions of weight training... now if only I would practice what I preach!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #6  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

People don't realize what harm they're doing when they say things like that. I think its very insensitive to comment on someones weight no matter if they're fat or skinny. However, your loved ones might be saying these things because they think you're unhealthy at this weight or maybe they're just still used to you at your old weight. Maybe you can explain to them that you only want to be at a weight you think will be healthiest for you. Better yet, DON'T SAY ANYTHING, it is your business after all.
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #7  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I know some people who use "too thin" as a compliment. It doesn't really make any sense, but they do, and I'm sure nobody is trying to be rude or hurtful toward you. Even if they're not meaning it like that, they might just be a little worried that you're going overboard (which you obviously aren't!). So like everyone else said, just do some weight training so the thinner parts can balance out.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 364/ticker/199

Height: 5'11"

Beautiful days hit it spot on. Comments about weight are insensitive, whether you are thin or heavier. I know people mean it as a compliment when they comment on how great I look because I have lost weight, but all I hear is, "You used to look like a wheel barrow of fat and ugly."

That aside, I would take anything people say with a grain of salt and trust your own body and instincts. People become used to seeing you heavier, so when you reach an appropriate weight, they think you look too thin because what they are used to seeing is distorting reality.
Sonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #9  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'8"

Tell 'em all to kiss it I am 5'8" and have a medium frame, pear shape body. I am trying to lose the baby weight right now, but my normal maintence weight is 130-140 pounds. Sometimes when people watch others lose weight they will critizie or "worry" because they haven't seen you healthy/fit before. As long as you have a healthy BMI it shouldn't matter what weight looks good on you or is easy for you to maintain
ToriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #10  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

We're about the same weight/height. I get the people who gush about how good I look, the people who look horrified when I answer their specific questions regarding if I'm done losing now or not, the funny looks when I refuse junk food etc., people who people who tell me to keep it up etc. Blah. People have their opinions even when you try to be vague (ie "Im just making healthier choices). I'm in a 10 now, so I'm definitely not stick thin or too big lol!!

I just try to ignore and chug along so I meet my own goals. I know my goals are healthy and reasonable, and I know how much better I feel. I thought it might help if you know it's common to have this issue!

I read and am just going to start New Rules for Weight Training: HOw to Lift like a man and look like a Goddess. It gives a full work out routine for 6 months. He gives exercises that work out your whole body (more or less) at once, instead of targeting specific muscles. Anyway, it you're looking to get into lifting, it would be a good way to start

Last edited by pinkflower; 10-25-2010 at 12:25 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 172/135/140

Thanks everyone....I think I will have to buy some weights or something. I mostly just bike ride, walk outside or walk on the treadmill for exercise.

PINKFLOWER, yep we are about the same height/weight...but I am still comfortably in a size 12 So that confirms that all of my weight is in the belly and hips LOL Having 5 kids has really done a number on the mid-section!
Mama2Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #12  

I completely agree with the person who said that people seem to either think you are too thin or too fat. There never seems to be any middle ground!

As for tips, my sister whom is about the same height as you, weights about 10 lbs less but she does do weights and what not for muscle building...perhaps thats something to look into
splendidsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote