Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #1  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

Default Extra calories.

I don't know why, but I've been having at least 300 to 400 calories left over at the end of the day. I've just been letting them be, but for the past couple of days I've been just treating myself to a bowl of ice cream or some chocolate. Is this bad? I'm still staying within my calories. I dunno, it just feels too easy, I must be doing something wrong!
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I find it comes and goes. My budget is 1400 calories but some days I've eaten the last meal and it's 900, some days I've eaten lunch and it's 1200.

I would suggest (and to myself too!) doing some more in-depth planning. It's not good to undereat consistently but getting into the habit of a chocolate/ice cream 'treat' isn't good either: I know I can very quickly find myself at the place of treating the treat as my right, and sacrificing the quality of my other calories just to make sure I get that treat.

Perhaps you could add another healthy snack in during the day? What is your calorie budget, and how do you divide it up over your meals and snacks?

Well done on the 11lbs, by the way!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Rosinante. Get rid of the ice cream. When adhering to a calorie allotment, you really need to get the biggest bang for your buck from those calories. You need fiber, protein, vitamins, etc.

But for me, the worst part would be the behaviors that you're allowing in. First it's a bowl of ice cream, then it's a pint. Then it's a couple of cookies to go with it. It can take you to places you don't want to go to.

I believe healthy calories is the way to go. You'd like for you love of those foods to vanish and fade away. Make this process easier, not harder. An apple sliced thin sprinkled with cinnamon. A poached pear. Something that tastes good and is good for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Honestly, from time to time I see nothing wrong with it at all. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional bowl of ice cream if you're able to keep it at just that.

But the kicker is the word "occasionally." That many calories left over every day isn't a good thing when you're actively trying to lose. You need nutrition right now to keep you going. And while ice cream is a lovely, lovely thing, it is not nutrition.

I'm not saying to out and stuff yourself with 400 calories worth of carrots instead. Have your ice cream - just have a bit of it, and throw in some healthy additions to meals or snacks to make up the difference.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #5  
Never Give Up

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'8"

I agree with rockinrobin...get the most bang for your buck Make sure you have a good treat that is good for you
ToriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #6  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

For me, the extra sugar from the dairy/ice cream/chocolate makes it hard to lose, even when I'm within my calorie allotment. So, I would get very frustrated at eating at or below my 'budget', and still not losing.

I believe that you can plan for a treat once in awhile (maybe pick 1-2 nights a week), but it should be something that you are doing because it fits within your other nutritional requirements. Quality first, treats (if you can control them, as others have mentioned) last. That is the lifelong battle.

Throw in a healthy snack or two during the day for a few days & see where that gets you (e.g. 1 medium apple + 2Tbs reduced fat peanut butter for 260 calories, 100 calorie natural almonds mixed into 6oz of 2% greek yogurt for 230 calories, etc.). Look at where you are lacking during the daytime (fruits, veggies, protein, fat, etc.) and try to supplement there.

Late night eating has always been problematic for me, and in the midst of my weight loss, I tried to cut it out all together. HARD, but definitely do-able. I still have to focus to not mindlessly eat at night, and if I see those extra calories, I want to do the same as you - enjoy some treats. It is not the end of the world, but it certainly isn't optimal if we're aiming for good health.

By the way, congrats on your success thus far! You are doing GREAT!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #7  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

When I was focusing on the overall calorie count a snack like a 400 calorie serving of icecream at the end of the night was no big deal. However, I've found that I lose more and sleep better when I avoid eating after supper.

Personally I'd consider adding more earlier in the day as having a treat every night will form a habit, which can be unhelpful for weight loss (because icecream turns into cake ect).

However, if it works for you then continue. we are ALL different in our lifestyle and habits.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #8  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

A follow-up after yesterdays bowl of ice cream and fun-sized butterfinger: I had horrible cravings! It happened the night before that too, but I just pushed it off and didn't even think about it. I was craving a quesadilla at one in the morning, and I couldn't help myself so I made one, and then ate chips with it too. So, I think I should just stay away from the sugar for now on. I've been real good with keeping it at a distance, I don't want to screw up anything because my weigh-in is in a week and a half. ( So yeah. Never again!
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful days View Post
A follow-up after yesterdays bowl of ice cream and fun-sized butterfinger: I had horrible cravings! It happened the night before that too, but I just pushed it off and didn't even think about it. I was craving a quesadilla at one in the morning, and I couldn't help myself so I made one, and then ate chips with it too. So, I think I should just stay away from the sugar for now on. I've been real good with keeping it at a distance, I don't want to screw up anything because my weigh-in is in a week and a half. ( So yeah. Never again!

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say. I needed to totally ban *that stuff*. I needed to kill my wants and desires for those things. I needed those darn stupid cravings abolished. I HAD to make this hard thing easier.

So even though the calories may be there, it's just too hard keeping those things in my diet. I tried doing the moderation route many,many times. It just doesn't work for me. Just like it doesn't for the alcoholic. I needed definite No's. I needed black and white - no gray. I was done being fat and I was done taking chances.

One other thing - don't give the food that much power. Of course you could have helped it. The cravings may be strong (they'll get better, non-existent practically), but trust me - you ARE stronger!!!!

I'm glad you've come to the conclusion about the sugar! You've just made this journey soooo much easier. Push through those first couple of weeks and things will be much different.

I am greatly looking forward to hearing of your further progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #10  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

If you eat a bit more during the day, you might find you don't crave those things as much at night.

You just have to find what works for you and is sustainable in the long term. I am not even a fan of icecream, but I wouldn't want to never have it again for the rest of my life. I think being too restrictive - for some - can lead to feeling really lousy about the whole "dieting" process and cause us to give up because it seems too hard. Others seem to really thrive in that restrictive mindset. Try to figure out which side works best for you.

You are doing great BTW! 11 lbs is awesome.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #11  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Try adding in more healthy food to your meals throughout the day, or add in a snack. 400 calories is a lot. It's okay to have treats, but they should be about 10% of your calorie intake and not everyday even then. You want to get the most out of those calories, so try more fiber-rich and protein-rich foods so you feel full and more satisfied.

Also make sure to adjust intake as your weight drops. You won't always need the same amount of calories as you lose weight.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote