Old 05-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #1  
Going After my Dream

S/C/G: 310/290/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Sandwhich confusion-your thought's?

Today for lunch I had an egg salad sandwhich, not what I would usually have but I made them for the kids' lunches and had an extra one-so I ate it.

So I started searching for a calorie count and came up with numbers in the 400-485 range depending on which site I used.

When I count myself it is much lower
-2pcs whole wheat bread-170cal
-approx 1 egg-80cal
-1TBS miracle whip-40
total=290

I used the calorie counts on the packages I used(miracle whip bottle etc)

So have I somehow calculated wrong? I can't figure out why mine would be so much less
Nantucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I would say it's because the ingredient portions are a big questionmark for those other references you came across. They could have used lots more mayonaise, more eggs, different sized breads. Or just had twice the portion size on bread over what you had. (this is all if you were looking up "egg salad" and not the individual ingredients.)

If you can be accurate with the amount you used, then I'd go with your numbers that were referenced from the nutrition labels off the products.

Last edited by prepping; 05-13-2010 at 01:57 PM.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #3  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Anything you calculate with what your actual ingredients were is OF COURSE going to be the most accurate. When you google for something -- especially something like that which can vary SO much (what kind of mayo and how much of it, how many eggs, what kind of bread and how big the slicer are) -- you're getting averages and guesses.

If you made it yourself, you can always get the calories more accurately. So your calculation is correct for what you ate. But if you were out at a luncheon and had to eat what was offered and it was an egg salad sandwich, the calories you googled would probably be a good guess -- but nothing more than a guess.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #4  

when it comes to recipes like egg salad that i make at home, i just create my own recipe. who knows what they used to come up with their numbers!
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #5  
Going After my Dream

S/C/G: 310/290/180

TY ladies! I have to say I freaked a little because I ate it first then considered the calorie count after. So when I searched and saw 485-OMG my jaw hit the ground until I ran to my kitchen like a mad women and started looking, lol

Last edited by Nantucket; 05-13-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Nantucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I suspect portion size has a lot to do with it. I would guess that an egg salad sandwich you buy already prepared would have at least 2 eggs in it. I often mash up one boiled egg and it would make be pretty thin spread out on a normal size piece of bread.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote