Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

Default Please help me! I must be doing something wrong!

Sorry for the dramatic title, but that's how I'm feeling right now. I'm getting so frustrated that I fear I am going to end up rationalizing a fall off the wagon. I don't want to, mind you, but I know myself well enough to know that's where this is headed, so I am reaching out and begging for help!

I'm hovering. I started my new WOL (started with WW) on Feb 2, 2010. Since then, I have lost 18 lbs. (My HW is pregnant, so the 34 in my siggy is part of what I lost since then) All but 3 of that was within the first month. At first, I was losing an average of 1 lb. every 2 or so days. I thought it was really fast, but obviously I wasn't complaining about it. Since then, it's slowed to a near stop and I don't know what to do!!

I switched from WW to CC for two reasons- one, because WW didn't seem to be working anymore and two- because I wanted more control over my eating. I lost a lb. the first day of the switch, but since then, nothing... (Granted it hasn't been too long, but you'll see why I'm frustrated in a minute).

Here's my weight by day for the last two weeks:

03/08/10- 266.0
09- 265.8
10- 266.4
11- 266.8
12- 265.0
13- 264.4
14- 264.8
15- 263.4 (the day I started CC)
16- 264.4
17- 265.8
18- 265.0
19- 264.8
20- 263.0
21- 264.4
22- 265.8

I wish there was a screaming smilie. Here is examples of the meals I have been eating daily since starting CC:

Breakfast- (usually around 11-ish am, so it's small)

banana and 1% milk with carnation instant breakfast
OR
1 pack oatmeal and a banana
OR
100 cal. english muffin with apple butter

Lunch-

Salad with chopped up lunch meat and light dressing- add in some EVOO for good fats
OR
x2 100 cal flat bread with lunch meat, mustard and veggies
OR
1 sm. can tuna, 1 tsp. full fat mayo, pickle relish on flat bread pitas (100 cal)

Snacks- (I'll usually have 2-3 all day)

90 cal. granola bar
60 cal light cheese stick
sugar free pudding
mixed berries with light cool whip
baked cheetos

Dinner-

Tuna as above, if I didn't have it for lunch. OR tuna as above on a salad
OR
baked chicken breast with mixed veggies and rice
OR
some other low cal option that I cook for the family and weigh for myself.

I've been religiously counting my calories and have ended up between 1350-1850 per day, with most days falling around 1600-ish. I was worried I wasn't getting enough calories, and tried to bump them up, but I really don't know? I also worry that I'm not drinking enough, but (excuse ahead!) I'm a newly "single mom" (long story, but: see MAJOR stress) and I WAH up to 12 hours a day. It's difficult for me to remember to get things to drink, drink them, and then stop to potty every... whatever.

I really need help, and I'm totally open to your suggestions. I need to lose weight, I WANT to lose weight. I'm still motivated and ready to do this.

Please help me. What am I doing wrong? What can I do differently?

I also wanted to answer a few questions that I see commonly asked in these situations. I am not on TOM, nor am I close to TOM. I am not pregnant (89% sure- and IF I am, it would be very, very new).

Ok. If you read this, thanks a TON! If you have any advice, it would be MUCH appreciated!

Last edited by roxmysox; 03-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/176/130

Height: 5'4

So I'm really not an expert...I'm pretty new to this calorie counting thing..however...water is very important! You might want to really try to get more in everyday. Also, are you exercising? Even going for a walk could help. I zig zag my calories between 1400 and 1600 calories and I'm 185 and still losing...so maybe you could up your calories a little to maybe 1700-1800? I don't know. I'm sorry...I wish I could be more help..but don't quit! Its worth the fight! Once you get over this plateau you will be happy you stuck with it! Good luck in making it past this!!
cynthialynn0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/224/165

Height: 5'8

I agree with Cynthia. I think your calories are ok but you may want to zigzag.. I have noticed that I am fairly consistent at about 1400/day but on the weekends I see it go up to about 1600-1800/day. My recommended amount is about 1800 so I like to be below that. I also drink AT LEAST 5x of the 16.9oz of water DAILY. In addition, I walk 2 miles every morning - 3mph for 40 minutes. I've lost 25 pounds in 8 weeks. So far it seems to be working.

Hang in there!
michaelasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Honestly, don't hate me, but your weight loss looks very normal to me. We fluctuate...we're women and not machines. Take a gander at my own log. I left in the side comments so you could see that I too get frustrated but that it's perfect normal! Look at March 1st, and look at today. Barely 3 lbs! But I'll take it. It's the downward trend I'm striving for. It comes off fast in the beginning, but it slows down.

March
1: 198.4 (day 10 at this weight)
2: 198.4 (day 11)
3: 199 (1200 calories yesterday...HIIT today)
4: 199.8 (800 calories yesterday...skipped workout...why bother?)
5: 199.6 (1200 calories yesterday- weight lifting today)
6: 198.2
7: 198
8: 197.4 (HIIT yesterday)
9: 196.4 (Wha?? Yes!)
10: 196.2
11: 197 had way too salty chili yesterday...I think it was the beans???
12: 196.8
13: 197.6
14: 197.4
15: 196.4
16: 196.4
17: 198...TOM
18: 197.8
19: 197
20: 197.4
21: 196.2
22: 195.6
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29:
30:
31:

Last edited by Eliana; 03-22-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

If I were you I'd try going lower at 1200 for a week to see if that helps. Sometimes we can be eating hidden calories even if we think we're being exact with them, and we're actually eating more than we think.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but to expect more than a 1-2 lb average loss per week is a little unrealistic and losing a higher rate than that isn't healthy. Also, TOM AND ovulation can reak havoc on our losing rate. I know for me personally I tend to lose in "whooses". One week I lose 3-4 lbs, the next 1, the next none, the next 3-4 again. When you look at my average it comes out to 1.5 lbs per week (1.8 since I started zig zagging.) And if you look closly there is a relationship to those low loss weeks and my cycle. Weight loss isn't a race, you'll get there I promise, I've been at this for 4 years (had a baby in that time and gained 50 back) and there are going to be slow downs. I zig zag and I haven't plateaud yet, but there have been slow downs. I wouldn't lower your cals just yet, stick it out a bit longer. Lowering your cals will make it difficult to lower them later as you get closer to your goal and really need to tighten up the calories to get those last 10lbs off. Also being a low cals for too long can slow your metabolism down making finding a livable maitenance level difficult. The important thing to remember is that you are making a lifestyle change and that weight loss is just a bonus to that. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by ncuneo; 03-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #7  

Obviously what you are doing is not working. Looking at your weight loss for the last 2 weeks, you were down 2.6 lbs the first week and up 2.4 lbs the following, giving you an overall loss of .2 lbs for 2 weeks. Why do you eat breakfast so late? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you shouldn't skimp on it. Eat a big breakfast, it will fuel your body for the day. Are you checking your sodium intake? You should not consume more than 2400 mg of sodium a day. A lot of people do not track that, it is very important. How much water do you drink a day? Tuna salad, lunch meat, and salad dressing contain a lot of sodium. Especially lunch meat! Read the nutrition info on everything you are buying and the serving size. You may want to grill/pan fry w/ cooking spray, some chicken, for your salads etc. I think you are not eating enough. You shouldn't go below 1850 calories a day. For your body size you can consume 2700 calories a day, and maintain your weight. If you eat 1850, that is a deficit of 850 calories a day, 5,950 calories a week. About 1.7 lb loss a week, add your daily/weekly exercise calorie loss. You should be losing at least 2 - 2.5 lbs a week. Which is a healthy pace. I know it is hard to do certain things, but I honestly think you should not eat baked cheetos, lunch meat, or canned tuna. That is my opinion, you need to decide for yourself. Someone mentioned zig zag approach, it is a great method. Every 3 days I up my calories. I eat 1800 calories a day, on my third day I eat 2000. It works great! Give it a try, everyones body is different, in time you will figure out what food/exercise works best for you. Good luck!
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

[QUOTE=JackiG;3212809]Obviously what you are doing is not working. [QUOTE]

I disagree. She is losing. Again, we are not machines. Some people never experience plateaus or slow downs...but MANY of us do.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackiG View Post
Obviously what you are doing is not working. Looking at your weight loss for the last 2 weeks, you were down 2.6 lbs the first week and up 2.4 lbs the following, giving you an overall loss of .2 lbs for 2 weeks. Why do you eat breakfast so late? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you shouldn't skimp on it. Eat a big breakfast, it will fuel your body for the day. Are you checking your sodium intake? You should not consume more than 2400 mg of sodium a day. A lot of people do not track that, it is very important. How much water do you drink a day? Tuna salad, lunch meat, and salad dressing contain a lot of sodium. Especially lunch meat! Read the nutrition info on everything you are buying and the serving size. You may want to grill/pan fry w/ cooking spray, some chicken, for your salads etc. I think you are not eating enough. You shouldn't go below 1850 calories a day. For your body size you can consume 2700 calories a day, and maintain your weight. If you eat 1850, that is a deficit of 850 calories a day, 5,950 calories a week. About 1.7 lb loss a week, add your daily/weekly exercise calorie loss. You should be losing at least 2 - 2.5 lbs a week. Which is a healthy pace. I know it is hard to do certain things, but I honestly think you should not eat baked cheetos, lunch meat, or canned tuna. That is my opinion, you need to decide for yourself. Someone mentioned zig zag approach, it is a great method. Every 3 days I up my calories. I eat 1800 calories a day, on my third day I eat 2000. It works great! Give it a try, everyones body is different, in time you will figure out what food/exercise works best for you. Good luck!

I have to respectfully disagree with this because everyone's metabolism and calorie burn are different, even if they are the same size. We are almost the same weight but I could never eat 1800 calories a day and see any significant loss. My best losses have been coming recently when I was averaging 1350 a day. 2700 calories a day is weight gain territory for me, not maintenance.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

roxmysox -

How many points were you eating on WW? Do you have your food journals from when you were losing more easily?

Personally, whether on WW or not, I'd mirror what you were eating when you were losing and see what happens. You might need to cut back slightly (like 1-2 pts/50-100 calories) from the total amount, to account for the weight you have lost so far.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 148/132.5/125

Height: 5'3

I hear ya! Ive been having a "weight loss plateau" for the past 3 weeks, and it is so discouraging. I am trying the whole "upping my calories" for a week, and by "upping" I just mean to 1200 calories a day. That is about 100 calories more a day than I usually do. Ill let you know how this works for me, and maybe you can try Hang in there girlie!
RynKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #12  

I have 2 week periods where I don't lose anything, too :-) I think most of us do. You just need to try not to give up. Take care of yourself, and your wonderful new baby! You'll get there :-)
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

PeanutsMom - Where do you get that info?? Your math seems fantastic lol. could you explain to me what you think my daily calorie intake should be? I stick around 1500-1700 a day... I zig-zag actually... from freedieting.com is where I got my info. but that math you just used seems fantastic! I also exercise quite heavily (well...6 days a week, an hour to an hour n a half a day) Just thought I'd ask, you seem extremely wise! Oh, and I have been stuck between 194-196 for a couple months now (however, I did quit smoking...which might have a little bit to do with it - but **** - I didnt gain!)

ROXMYSOX - do you weigh everything?? I use a measuring spoon and a weight scale for absolutely everything from yogurt to peanut butter to vegetables. EVERYTHING! ... you wouldn't believe some of the things that state 1 cup/30g is a serving and when put into one cup really equals 45grams... thats a serving and a half - big difference!!

Last edited by JennyG; 03-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #14  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I'm not an expert either, however what I have learned is how much water does for my loss. The weeks I drink water like crack head smokes crack, my weight loss is much better. I eat on plan because I know I have ambitious goals. I want to be in a size 10 by October 10. I work out twice a day, I eat no more than 1443 calories. I eat carbs in the early part of the day so I have time to work it off. I monitor the effect different food have on my body. There are certain things I can't eat because it slows me down when I work out. You gotta tweak your plan often to see what works for your body. But don't fall off the wagon because you aren't losing as fast as you were at the beginning. Each day you stay on plan and not loose is a day closer to a healthier you. Each day you stay on plan and loose is a day closer to a healthier you. But eating off plan and gaining is a day closer to an unhealthier you. So really falling off is not an option!!

So look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself quitting is not an option and failure is never an option. You can do this and you will do this and you will be healthy from this day forward.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Weight loss can be so frustrating!! On the one hand, you need to remember that we often do lose more at first -- though a lot of that is "water" weight. It's very normal to lose less than 1 pound/week.

On the other hand, looking at your stats, I can see it's frustrating to be where you were two weeks ago.

The scale is and you can't give it too much power over you. Keep doing what you're doing for another couple of weeks and then re-evaluate. In the meantime, do make sure you're writing down every bite, lick, taste and drink.

So, I guess my message is: patience. You're not necessarily doing anything wrong. This is sometimes what weight loss is like.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote