Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/207/130

Height: 5"6

Default Questions.

I know these questions have already been asked on here somewhere, but I don't know exactly how to search these questions.

I am unable to do much activity at the moment because of some injuries. If I just diet at the moment will I still be able to lose the weight?

I am not following a diet but tracking the calories on thedailyplate.com. It told me to stay at about 1500 calories a day for my current weight. Does that sound right?

And lastly how long did it take some of you guys to diet before you started seeing results?

Thanks!
dundun1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

First, the typical disclaimer is that everyone is different.

Now I started shorter and heavier than you, but I lost 30 lbs the first two months without exercise. I dare say that's probably "results not typical". I ate 1200 calories a day.

Since then I have been reading about "skinny fat" and I decided I did not want to get to goal and discover I still had fat. I researched and learned that when we lose by diet alone, we lose 40% muscle along with the fat.

So yes, you can lose weight through diet alone and since you have injuries, I'd say that's a very good solution for you. Eating healthy is good for you no matter what. But I would also suggest looking into exercise that might benefit whatever injury you might have by strengthening it, seeking professional advice, of course.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

As long as 1500 calories is less than you usually eat, yup.

It'd still be better if you could indulge in some form of increased activity. What kind of injuries? Can you go for a walk or play with dumbells while sitting?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #4  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Losing weight is 80% food & 20% exercise. You can lose weight by reducing calories alone, but like Eliana said you won't be getting fit/toned. When I first started I worked on my food issues alone and lost loads of weight without adding any exercise (of course my starting weight was much much higher than yours). If exercise isn't an option right now work on the food and then add activity when you're able.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #5  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I do not exercise at all, as I live in an 18 wheeler with my husband. This means sitting or laying down 24/7 for 5 weeks at a time. Other than the walk across the truck parking lot about 3 times a day to use the restroom, I am very limited in motion. I have lost 47 pounds since Sept 1, 2009. (lol...I do not recommend this lifestyle for health!).

You will have to see what calorie level you lose weight. It will be a number so very unique to you. All kinds of things factor into that number, your age, your activity level and even the types of food you eat. So the answer is yes, one can lose weight in a very sedentary lifestyle (even with temporary injuries or illness) but the reality is, that the calories will have to be pretty low and unless one is very careful to choose nutrient dense foods, making each calorie benefit health, then very low calories will not be a healthy option for a long period of time.

I started at 307 pounds, and have a total of 152 pounds to lose. For me, at my age (menopausal) and my near zilch activity level, the calorie level I lose weight on has to be 900-1200. I take a daily vitamin, a vitamin D & calcium supplement too. I started at 1500, then decreased the calories as weight loss slowed down.

It's so hard to recommend the range of calories, but do try to stay at the highest you can that helps you lose about 6-10 pounds a month. When you injury heals, you can offset the calories with exercise. Most calorie counting type diets have to be adjusted periodically.

Sending you positive thoughts towards your success!
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

Yes, it's definitely possible.

1200 to 1600 calories should be fine. I'm also 50 yrs old and very sedentary and not working out and 1600 calories has been working for me so far with no exercise.
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/207/130

Height: 5"6

Thanks for the all advice. I am seeing a physical therapist for my injuries now, but she does not want me to start any other exercise accept for the ones for the injuries on my knees, back and neck and shoulders at the moment. I seem to have lost three pounds so far at 1500 calories so I guess I'm on the right track. I'm learning a lot of food and exercise on the website. Thanks so much again!

Last edited by dundun1021; 02-13-2010 at 06:08 PM.
dundun1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/151/125

Height: 5'4"

Well, personally, I exercise, but I will tell you about my mom...

When my mother started dieting she was probably 350 pounds (if not more)
She was not able to exercise due to stomach issues (scar tissue, gallbladder, hernias, and her appendix) Also, she has major, major bone spurs on her feet.

So she started eating 1200 calories a day (I know, thats low but thats what she decided) without any exercise.

For over a year she has constantly lost 2 pounds, if not more, a week.

So it definitely has worked for her!
orangebelpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #9  
Artsy Fartsy Girl

S/C/G: 268/226/185

Height: 5'6"

Not only can you lose weight with diet only, I absolutely refuse to do any exercising that I can't keep up the rest of my life, because I firmly believe exercise resets my metabolism in a way that's downright dangerous. All my past weight loss attempts were via heavy exercise, and every time I went up a dress size or two after I quit exercising, without eating substantially more calories. I think the common media "wisdom" that you "have to" exercise along with dieting is hooey. I notice it's always promulgated by people selling exercise videos or books.
dolphinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I broke my shoulder soon after I started dieting. It will not ever be back to 100% that immediately eliminates most upper body exercise, I get my exercise by doing a lot of walking/
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote