Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/190/147

Height: 5'7"

Default Calorie Cycling

I've read about how many of you guys cycle your calories and I've been doing some reading. My mom's personal trainer told me that I should do 3 weeks of my calorie restriction and then 2 - 3 days off where I eat 1600 - 2000 calories.

I'd love to hear what works for you guys.
audrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #2  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

I know a lot of chicks use this method with lots of success, but I don't think they go 3 weeks at a time. One of the ladies on the forum who has lost a lot of weight mentioned freedieting.com, and if you use the calorie calculator, it will tell you high, med, and low calories for you. then at the bottom, you can create a zig zag plan, that is what I am planning for this week. Good luck to you! let us know how it works!
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisempire View Post
I know a lot of chicks use this method with lots of success, but I don't think they go 3 weeks at a time. One of the ladies on the forum who has lost a lot of weight mentioned freedieting.com, and if you use the calorie calculator, it will tell you high, med, and low calories for you. then at the bottom, you can create a zig zag plan, that is what I am planning for this week. Good luck to you! let us know how it works!

I did search out a calculator that could tell me how I should be cycling but the amount of calories it gave me were well above what I'm already eating. I was thinking I would just take their guideline and eat accordingly based on the calories I'm already consuming and see what happened.

3 weeks seemed long to me too, but I think he was talking more about tricking your bodies metabolism than calorie cycling.

Edit: I went to the link you provided and I like their plan much more! Thanks, I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Last edited by audrina; 07-12-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've been doing calorie cycling for about 4 months I think. I love it, it gives me tons of flexibility. I use freedieting and yes, it's way more cals than I was eating before, but before at the lower levels I kept stalling. Now when I stay on plan (this being the key component) I don't stall.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #5  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I've been doing calorie cycling for about 4 months I think. I love it, it gives me tons of flexibility. I use freedieting and yes, it's way more cals than I was eating before, but before at the lower levels I kept stalling. Now when I stay on plan (this being the key component) I don't stall.

So you up'd your calories to what the site said and you are still losing? I was afraid to do that. I don't want to gain in the process of upping my calories to cycle them. I have tried to start cycling this week but haven't been planning like I should so it hasn't been right yet.

Edit to ask: What exercises are you doing? and How often? I am so afraid of a long stall. I had a mini one and it drove me batty

Last edited by love2b150; 07-12-2010 at 10:47 PM.
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #6  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

Ncuneo, do you follow what the calculator on freedieting gives you if you have it zig-zag for you? Or something different.
BTW- I am a firm believer in too little calories, stalls you out!
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #7  

So glad to see this thread! I am just starting calorie cycling (zigzagging) and I am wondering how much of a range I should give myself each day. For example, my plan from freedieting.com said that yesterday I should've had 1421 cals, and I ended up having 1474. Is that too far off the mark? Do you all stick much closer?
kristen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #8  
~Rennie

Kristen10, I've just started to try calorie cycling and have been pretty off (calorie wise) most days. I was wondering the same thing though. I think the only way to be totally on point is to pre-plan my day to insure the right amount of calories, which I didn't do until last night. I learned from 3FC to give things a week and see how I do. I lost 12.2lbs last month just counting calories and walking with a few other things thrown in. Today is my high calorie day on the zig zag. I haven't ate 1700+ calories since 6/1 so we'll see. Hopefully it won't rain and I can get my walk in today after all those calories. I weigh every day and would scream at a crazy gain .

Last edited by love2b150; 07-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #9  

Interesting what you guys say about the too few calories. The website recommends I eat before 1400-1900 calories a day but I've been focusing my diet on a 1200-1600 calorie range and losing weight.

Do you guys thing I should up it to what's been suggested? Or stay where I am?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #10  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrina View Post
Interesting what you guys say about the too few calories. The website recommends I eat before 1400-1900 calories a day but I've been focusing my diet on a 1200-1600 calorie range and losing weight.

Do you guys thing I should up it to what's been suggested? Or stay where I am?

Audrina, that is my question also. But I think the issue is that if we continue to eat the lower calories that we are eating as we lose weight what will we drop down to once we hit goal. I've read that's it's unhealthy to only eat 800-1000 and I've been as low as 900 and as high as 1500 something. So I guess really I have been doing my own cycling which worked in my first few weeks but it hasn't been working lately
Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post

Audrina, that is my question also. But I think the issue is that if we continue to eat the lower calories that we are eating as we lose weight what will we drop down to once we hit goal. I've read that's it's unhealthy to only eat 800-1000 and I've been as low as 900 and as high as 1500 something. So I guess really I have been doing my own cycling which worked in my first few weeks but it hasn't been working lately
I've had the same problem with being as low as 900 calories some days. When I changed my diet to mostly fruits and veggies it became HARD for me to eat my target calories because what I mainly consumed [and was filling me for the entire day] was just too low in calories. To be honest, I pretty much had to cut lettuce salads from my diet to UP my calorie intake.

I went out and bought a food scale and now it's easier for me to meet my 1200 [or whatever] calorie goal, I pretty much keep avocados on hand to up my calorie intake if I need it, and now I'm eating some more granola too.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #12  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrina View Post
I've had the same problem with being as low as 900 calories some days. When I changed my diet to mostly fruits and veggies it became HARD for me to eat my target calories because what I mainly consumed [and was filling me for the entire day] was just too low in calories. To be honest, I pretty much had to cut lettuce salads from my diet to UP my calorie intake.

I went out and bought a food scale and now it's easier for me to meet my 1200 [or whatever] calorie goal, I pretty much keep avocados on hand to up my calorie intake if I need it, and now I'm eating some more granola too.
I weigh and measure everything also. I have only had a taste of avocado once, it reminded me of pistachio. How do you eat it? I don't think I will ever eat it again plain. I have a texture issue so I can't eat granola (things that leave pieces behind). I am looking for other things to help increase my calories that are healthy but it's getting difficult and my weight is not moving/leaving like I would like it to.

How long have you been on your journey and how much have you lost? Do you exercise? Have you had any stalls? I just started on 6/1 and I lost 12.2lbs in 34 days (4th of July challenge). I walk almost daily 2 to 3.5 miles, I've done 4 miles twice and I have been pretty much the same weight since the end of the challenge and I haven't changed anything. Are you constantly losing? Sorry for all of the questions ...
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #13  

Height: 5'9

In can tell you that the range she gave you would not work for me. Unless I have at least a day or 2 of less than 1400 the scale doesn't budge, or not more than 1/4 pound a week which is too slow to keep me motivated and once mistake and everything's gained back.
Leonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #14  

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
I weigh and measure everything also. I have only had a taste of avocado once, it reminded me of pistachio. How do you eat it? I don't think I will ever eat it again plain. I have a texture issue so I can't eat granola (things that leave pieces behind). I am looking for other things to help increase my calories that are healthy but it's getting difficult and my weight is not moving/leaving like I would like it to.
Avocado is delicious on a sandwich with cheese and tomato and mayo.
Leonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #15  

Avocado was an acquired taste for me, mostly because I have some texture issues too (biting into a chunk of avocado is still too mushy for me to enjoy) but I love it as a spread or in guacamole. You could try mushing one up into a paste and using as a substitute for mayo on a sandwich and you may be pleasantly surprised.
kristen10 is offline   Reply With Quote