Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Is there anything you don't count?

I used to not count my morning cup of coffee because I use SF Creamer (15 cals per Tbsp) and then I realized that I use like 1/2 C of creamer so my morning cup of joe is like 120 cals! So now I count that, but sometimes I'll have a dollop of FF sour cream (-15 cals) or something like that and I don't count it. I know it all adds up and this could result in some sabotaging, but is there anything you don't count?
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If it's not water, it's food. That's the philosophy I live by anyways. I count every bite. (I count carbs but the program I use (sparkpeople.com) also tracks the calories as well.

Last edited by beerab; 01-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

When I was getting down and dirty and losing, losing, losing there was nothing, absolutely nothing I didn't count. As you lose (as a c counter) your success depends solely on creating the all important deficit of burning MORE calories than you are taking in.

I see you are new on your journey. You have so much to be excited about and I am excited for you. Do nothing that may counteract your decision for health. As I began one of the biggest motivators I had was seeing the number drop on the scale. Those were days before anyone knew I was doing anything to become more fit. I couldn't get into a smaller size for a couple of months. But still, I knew the number was dropping.

In summary, yes count it--every lick, drink, bite or dip.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 405 / 298 / 150

Height: 5'4"

I do count everything I eat, but there are some things that I just estimate in my counts. For example, I do not measure out an exact tablespoon of ketchup or mustard. For things like that, I just round up and put down 25 calories.

Now for things like salad dressing that are high calorie, I would meausre it out exactly. But if it's pretty low cal and I'm only using a bit, I feel okay with just putting an estimate. I'd feel crazy if I had to measure every teaspoon of mustard or weigh every apple.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I try to count everything, but I don't necessarily weigh or measure everything. Proteins and starches all get weighed unless it's something like a slice of bread and then I go by the package. Most veggies don't - I use Fitday to track and I'll generally use their "one medium radish" type entry. I do weigh carrots though, because I eat a lot of them and want to make sure I am properly counting them. For something like a splash of milk in my tea, I'll usually just count an ounce without measuring it out. I don't weigh fruit every time, but I try to do it periodically, to make sure I'm still eyeballing a "medium apple" correctly and not letting the sizes creep up without noticing.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I also estimate things like low-calorie vegetables, condiments, etc. Sometimes I'll neglect to count veggies in a recipe if they're small amounts and low calories - half a cup of chopped bell pepper split among 4 servings may not be worth the time it takes to search for it.

But otherwise, I try to count it all. Sometimes I forget to log a stick of gum or a cup of Crystal Light or the 15 calories of cream in my coffee, but I get most of it in there. I also overestimate things all the time so it evens out.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #7  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I count absolutely everything. If I have a 1/2 tablespoon of mustard it's counted. I have become anal about how many calories I consume because I'm going to get to my size 10 and I will maintain it the rest of my life.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6"

i count everything, and i just got back into counting calories... where before i'd like skip one or two things if i ate it.. but this time i'm strict and have lost 5lbs in 3 days!
but one thing i DONT count, i buy an energy drink like twice a week for my late classes at school (on the days i work before school) but i grab the 'no calorie, sugar free' one, so i don't bother counting it. plus it hasn't affected my weight anyway! other than that, even my crystal light (5cal) i count
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #9  
19Deltawifey

If Im nibbling on something like 3 grapes, or take a small bite of something I don't count it. I don't think its worth the hassle. Also if I eat 1 starburst or 2 jellybeans I dont count it. Also I don't count ketchup or seasonings. I also don't weigh my food, my food scale is broked so I just guesstimate which works out fine

Last edited by 19Deltawifey; 01-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I count almost everything... even small amounts of veggies and ketchup and what not. Some things I over estimate just in case, like lettuce etc. The thing is, I don't count my gum. It's only 5 calories a stick and I have about 5 a day haha that's a lot. Anyway that's 25 calories but I KNOW I make up for it through over estimation and rounding up of so many foods. Plus, you burn more calories chewing it (supposedly 11/hour) than there are in the gum. So there, that's literally the one thing I don't count. I'll admit it lol
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I try to count everything but admit there are times things get left off.

Remember, that 20 cal nibble here and there can add up. Five 20 cal nibbles is 100 calories!
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #12  
wanna-be runner and yogi!

S/C/G: 150/140/120

Height: 5'3¾"

I don't count veggies except for potato. I don't eat back any of my calories after exercising so I figure it evens out.
I might start counting them in the future if I find my weightloss slowing down without reason.
Sara J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/177.2/138

Height: 5'6

this makes me want to get back to logging my calories better! it is true a couple calories here and there do add up. one thing i do do is measure my servings... like if total cereal is 100 calories for 3/4 cup...i measure 2 3/4 cup of milk and then measure 1 cup of milk. i think that is very accurate. i think everyone has to guesstimate some thing though!
heartmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #14  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

I count everything but my gum, and even then I mentally add it to my tally but don't record it. It's 5cals for 2 pieces and I typically eat about 3-4 a day. So 10 cals.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #15  

I count everything except for soy sauce. (random, I know.) With as much as I love ketchup I HAVE to count that! I agree that every 20 calorie bite adds up and that just a few nibbles here and there can tack on an extra 100 calories. That's why in my FitDay tracker I made an entry for 100 calories. If I think I had an extra bite or two of something that might add up, I just throw in that extra 100 calories in my tracker for the day to make it even out.
McJess is offline   Reply With Quote