Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #1  

Default How did you feel in the beginning?

When you first really buckled down and started counting calories... did you feel pretty icky in the beginning?

Today starts my 3rd day. I'm doing ok, but still feeling kind of "out of it"... not terrible, but not good. I know I'm not eating too few calories... I think my body is just very used to eating junk, mindlessly. This is a big change.

How long does it take to get over the 'hump' of feeling bad? Does it end? Can you recommend any foods that really helped you get through in the beginning?

Today seems particularly hard. Not sure why. I feel like I'm going to lose it!

*sigh*
MotoXMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

If anything, I felt more energy and much better in the first few days of cutting back. There was some mental pain: cravings and withdrawal for perhaps the first 24 hours (I think this was all in my head). Have you had your blood sugar tested? Perhaps you're hypoglycemic and that's why you're not responding well.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Although I do get hungry and have cravings at times, I realize that I actually feel better when I eat less. I have more energy and fewer digestive problems.

However, I do still get really hungry at times, and that makes me irritable. Sometimes, I just live with it and sometimes I will eat a low calorie snack.

If you continue to feel bad and you know that it is a physical response, not a mental one, then you should probably have a medical check-up.

Foods that helped me get through at the beginning:
--Baby carrots with reduced fat ranch dressing as a dip--you can eat a ton of these with very few calories

--Light 'n Lively vanilla yogurt with fruit

--Green salad with salsa for dressing --again you can eat lots with very few calories

--Eggbeaters with fat-free cheese

In general, I try to avoid carbohydrate snacks like bread or cereal because for the amount of calories they provide, they just don't fill me up.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

I love Kashi bars... compared to other protein bars they are low in calories (appx 140). Lots of protein and fiber which is nice & filling... and tasty!

For some reason in the beginning I couldn't get enough of mini pretzels w/spicy mustard, and Coke Zero (I've since kicked my soda habit)... it's good to parcel out servings into snack size ziplocs ahead of time so you aren't tempted to gnosh!

This sounds gross, but for me to quiet my sweet tooth, add 2 Tbsp of half & half to a glass of diet soda/diet root beer etc... it tastes (almost) like a float.

Good luck, you're doing great!! Hang in there!

Last edited by kellygram; 09-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #5  
Really gonna do it!!

S/C/G: 215/209/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm only at Day 2 this go-around...but I've done this before. I find the first few days are mostly mental adjustment for me...I mean, I feel the hunger, but it's not really horrible...it's my brain that is going through major withdrawal. I try to stay out of the kitchen when I can, to cut out my habit of grabbing a small snack (frequently).

When I'm craving something...I nibble on a Sargentos reduced fat sharp cheddar stick...it looks just like string cheese, but it's not stringy, and it's cheddar...it is a very strong flavor, so I eat in small bites and savor it. 60 calories, 4.5 grams fat, and 5 grams protein (only 1 gram carb). I looooove cheese, so these are great for me b/c they are portion controlled...which is pretty much the whole battle for me!!!
DoubleDomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: see ticker

I feel hungry the first few days I get back on track. I notice I am hungry as soon as I wake up in the morning, and that I am actually hungry for lunch and dinner about half an hour or so before the actual meal.

I think I am just so used to a lot of junk that it is hard to eat normal amount again. When I fell off the wagon the last time, it was b/c I was depressed about an older, sick dog, and I was at a different job site and would get finished early, so while I waited for the public transit home, I read a book and had coffee. Then, it became coffee and a plain bagel (big, bakery one). Then, coffee and bagel and cream cheese. Then, coffee & brownie or cookie bar. Then, my pants started getting tight and I knew I had to cut it out. Since I was used to that extra 500 cal "snack" at 3 pm, I was hungry the first few days around 3 pm even though I had a healthy lunch just 1.5 hours before. I drink a lot of water, and if I still feel hungry, I'll have a decaf coffee (not latte or cap, just coffee) or tea with some skim milk, and a few almonds.

And now that I am in the third week of being back on track, I can say the hunger pains do subside after a few days, but I still feel hungry before meals. I think that is normal, though, as opposed to the "somewhat stuffed/not quite stuffed" I felt when I didn't watch what I ate.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #7  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
I think my body is just very used to eating junk, mindlessly. This is a big change.
You are probably going through a bit of withdrawal. If you can stick with it, it does get easier. The only time I crave sugar/junk now is that time of the month, and even then it is not nearly as bad as it used to be.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #8  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

You might get being hit with withdrawal/"detox" since you said you calories are in check and substances like sugars are addictive.

I personally associate that "out of it" feeling with either not enough calories or a mineral/vitamin imbalance.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I was just thinking about this. I've been on the bandwagon again for about three weeks. Just lately, I feel good. Earlier, I felt kinda draggy.
I have no scientific evidence to support this but I feel like my body had to learn to draw energy from my fat stores. As if it was easier to get the energy I needed from sugar, junk etc. The old factory has to work harder and it rebelled and would rather nap
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #10  
Carelessy Creative

S/C/G: 211.5/164.3/145

I just started up again last week after 6 months of falling completely off the wagon. I feel so much better though, even though I get really hungry at times. But overall I have so much more energy and feel much better about myself. I just try to drink water if I feel hungry and if that doesn't cut it I'll have a low calorie snack.
shaunabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #11  
wants that Louis Vuitton!

S/C/G: 300/203.4/170

Height: 5'5"

It DOES get better...I promise. I've been doing this since mid-august...and I'm just now feeling great and not as hungry/lightheaded. You can do this!
StellarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #12  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

I felt overwhelmed since some foods do not have the calorie count on them. I did feel better about making healthier choices. Then, I felt empowered. I finally realized how many calories were in things...many of the foods were more calories than I imagined...no wonder I put on so much weight. I remember looking up the calories for Bob Evans banana bread and it was like 500+ calories...for that!?!?!?!?! Stick with it. It gets easier.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You know, I think I felt relieved. I felt relieved that I had claimed my obesity and was making a move to do something about it. I also felt more in control. I remember "missing" my horrible foods in the beginning but within a few days that feeling of absence subsided. I think finding things to replace the time you spent eating, is a big thing. I cleaned house and tried to take my kids out more. Just stay true to your path. If you need support or an answer, they are here.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #14  
Automatic Automation

S/C/G: 170/170/130

Height: 5'0"

I think that I know exactly how the OP feels. This is my third day as well and I can tell you, I feel pretty horrible.
Tired, cranky, migraines. Last night I had a migraine so bad I had to go to bed at eight in the evening and it took forever to fall asleep with the nausea and pounding in my head.
The last time I went to a doctor I didn't have any problems with my blood sugar or high blood pressure, even though I often feel like I have both. Ha. So I don't know.

I long time ago I did the Atkins thing and I felt so ill at first I was literally scared I might die. I posted on an Atkins forum asking about it and they all said that it's normal to feel that way when you stop eating sugar cold turkey. This time I'm not doing Atkins, so I am still getting sugar in my diet in the form of foods that have carbs, but I am no longer eating candy, soda or junk, so I wonder if maybe I just feel like crap because of the lack of processed junk my body is used to?
Anyway OP, I can't tell you why you feel this way or when it will stop, but you're not alone. I am at work right now and I have to go work horses from four to eitht tonight and I can tell you right now...I am dreading it. I could easily go to bed right now.

Last edited by Automaton; 09-30-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling mistake.
Automaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #15  
Ay yo le la

S/C/G: 142/134/120

This is my third day of starting back up again too and I just feel okay. I haven't cut back on my calories as much as I used to (1600 now, 1300 before,) but I am exercising a lot more so maybe that's why I feel so tired. I think before I would noticeably get low blood sugar at first but I don't feel it as much now. I had some fainting spells for the first time ever a few months ago which I never figured out even after several doctor/cardiologist visits. I'm taking it easy now and feel a lot better, but what more can I do? Sometimes it's like doctors only tell me what I already know. As long as I'm not passing out I think I'll just see if I feel better in a week or so.

Last edited by Frigg; 09-30-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Frigg is offline   Reply With Quote