Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #1  

Default New to Calorie Counting

Hi
I am new to calorie counting. I weigh 176 lbs, wondering what my range of calorie intake should be? What websites have helped you? Do you write down everything you eat? Thanks for all your help!!
Marcia
heatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

A website like this one http://www.freedieting.com/tools/cal...alculator.htm# will give you a good idea how many calories you need. Be prepared to do a little tweaking, as you find what works for your body.

FitDay found here http://www.fitday.com/ is a good online food and exercise journal.

I write down EVERYTHING I eat before I eat it. My body counts everything, so I count everything. I also weigh everything I eat, if I just "eyeball" it I will eat to much and that's not my goal.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #3  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

www.sparkpeople.com

I used to do fitday, but I find spark to have a greater database of foods and is easier to use.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi-i love to use the website thedailyplate.com for my calorie counting and exercise. Sparkpeople.com is also good the only thing i like better about the daily plate is that when you log your exercise it will subtract it from your calories that you have eaten and sparkpeople doesnt do that but i like both websites. Good luck you can do it!
hbieber2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would say, eat for the body you want, not the one you have. What is your height and sex? Also, focus on whole foods. I calorie count and usually just use a spiral notebook. Measure, measure, measure your food and yourself!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/245/160

Height: 5"9'

hello,

I too am new to calorie counting. I started and got a knee injury and gave up.

but i am back on track now. I find it easier to write EVERYTHING down in a spiral notebook. make sure you prepare you meals and portion everythig the night before. I like to write everything down and calculate the night before too and set everything I have written down aside so i only go for those things during the day.

Crack down on yourself. When i did this the first time i would go over a few calories every so often because i thought it was ok but if you start to do it you will keep doing it more and more so try not to go over.

If i cant find the calorie intake on something I google it and then compare what websites say.

Hope this helps
One2ResqU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I use this formula to calculate my basal metabolic rate (calories needed to maintain my weight).

655 + (4.3 x weight) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age) = x

and then

x + (30% of x) = BMR

The 30% refers to a moderate activity level. Use 20% for low activity level and 40% for high activility level. Your BMR is the amount of calories you need to sustain your current weight from day to day. For myself, which is right around your range, is about 2000 per day. That's a lot of food. From this amount I cut out 500calories a day with food and exercise and I've been losing about a pound a week.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #8  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

I'm still fairly new to calorie counting too. I have found that planning ahead of time makes it really easy. I work long shifts, so I sometimes have to plan 3 days of meals in advance. It is super easy if you make a plan, measure stuff out the night before and then you don't have to make any decisions the next day (or the next few days). It's also easy to modify the plan if need be. Good luck to you!!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #9  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I love thedailyplate.com. I just started using it about 3 weeks ago and as hbieber2006 stated, I also like the fact that it subtracts your exercise calories from your daily calorie allowance.
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #10  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

hi!

we are close to the same weight (i dont know your height) and i eat 12-1350 a day. i use www.my-calorie-counter.com

good luck!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote