Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #1  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Using a Pressure Cooker

Does anyone cook with a pressure cooker?

I was wondering how it compared with other cooking methods as far as extra calories go?

Thanks

(hope I explained that correctly)
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

A pressure cooker is a great tool to cook things quickly. You don't need to add extra fats or oil to use a pressure cooker, thus no calories are added or subtracted from the food value.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #3  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I use a pressure cooker on occasions and it honesty makes the leaner, (thus tougher) cuts of meat more palatable. Great for cooking up chuck roasts or poor cuts of pork to easily shred for BBQ sandwiches.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #4  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

Height: 5'8"

I absolutely love my pressure cooker, it is awesome for making a very moist roast and for cooking things quickly.

I don't use it terribly often for cooking things other than meat with the exception of rice. I use it at least once or twice a week when we need rice, white rice (sticky style) cooks up in 7 min (add on boil up time and cool down) and brown rice cooks in 12-15 minutes (same as before add little time). Basmati is similar to white rice I believe.

Used to be if I forgot to start the rice we would have to skip it but now there is no such problem, in fact with some meals I have to wait on the rice to start it because its so fast. I can also make larger batches of it and have leftovers for later. This alone has made it worth while to me!
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #5  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Thanks for the replies! I've had my pressure cooker about 2 years, and used it only once to cook a tough roast for veggie soup. I'm gonna get that sucker outta hiding and cook something!
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I make my soup stocks w/the pressure cooker. Very easy & fast. Healthier & cheaper than canned. There are a zillion recipes out there for pressure cookers. Besides tenderizing tough meat cuts, it cooks veggies super quick without much nutrient loss.

They now have electric pressure cookers which a lot of people love. They are pricey though. I have the old fashioned kind. I think the hardest part is getting used to the timing/cooling method for different items. Once you've made them a few times though, it becomes easy.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #7  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

I use my pressure cooker at least twice a week to cook steel oats.
Love it for just about everything, beans, rice, stews, etc.
I have a fagor 6qt, not like grandmas old scary one.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

I bought a pressure cooker about two years ago, thinking it would be great, and I haven't used it once...I am terrified of the thing.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote