Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #16  

I love vanilla and chocolate Silk, and have never really liked cow's milk - except in cereal. I can't use Silk in cereal, but I use it for everything else, from recipes to smoothies to just drinking. I haven't been able to find the light kind, though. Does anyone know how different the taste is? I'd really like to save the calories.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #17  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I use organic light vanilla soy milk made by "organics" it's safeway brand... I was never a huge fan of regular milk myself except for cereals and baking and such, and the thought of soy milk used to gross me out until one day at costco they were giving out free samples and I tried it and was pleasantly surprised! I'm still not the biggest fan of soy milk either but I use it for my cereal now because it's only 70 cals per cup! which is a big savings for me because the fat free skim milk I used to get tasted like water and was 90 cals per cup!

I've been wanting to try almond milk as well because if Love almonds and almond flavoring... I hope it's good!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #18  
Token Vulcan

I enjoy Silk Soymilk, too. I don't hate cow's milk; I just don't really drink it. But the Silk I'll have either with cereal (Special K with strawberries) or "straight." I haven't tried the chocolate yet, just the vanilla and unflavored (which kinda tastes like vanilla anyway, lol). I also like that it doesn't go bad as quickly as the cow's milk. I can keep a half gallon for a month and it's still okay. The expiration date on it is longer than cow's milk.

I don't think I've seen almond milk? What's a common brand name of that? Is that only in shelf stable form or in the refrigerated form as well? I love almonds. I've become an almond fiend, they're like my snack food of choice now. My mother tells me I must be the only one buying those cups of raw almonds (sometimes 2 at a time) at the store every week. I tell her better those than the Pringles I used to buy.

Isn't there some kind of soy debate going on, though? I've also become a fan of the Soy Joy apple walnut bars-- I carry them around in my purse. They've become my mid-morning "tide me over" snack. Also good for long trips, lol. Easy to shove into a bag and not messy to eat.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 04-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #19  
Fit To Be Bride

S/C/G: 230.0/214.9/115

Height: 5'2"

I absolutely hate cow's milk but love soy (and almond) milk. Silk is my favorite of the easy-to-find brands. I prefer the organic, unsweetened, unflavored version for everyday cereal and baking uses. Those I know who actually like cow's milk prefer the vanilla-flavored version. The chocolate definitely helps battle the occasional chocolate attack.

Regarding almond milk... the company that makes Rice Dream also makes Almond Dream. It's awesome on the nutty and bran cereals!
EarthWhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #20  

I am not a huge milk drinker.I have used silk and I like it.I do limit my soy consumption though because I have a pretty big family history of breast cancer.It is nice to try something new though!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I love to use Silk Light Vanilla! I use it in fruit smoothies and when I want a protein boost after a work out. Or if I'm not having much of an appetite I'll eat a whole-grain toasted English muffin and nice glass of the soy milk. I'm lactose intolerant but I drink Lactaid's Lactose Free 1% (cow) Milk with my cereal and breakfast type foods. But I love having soy milk for other things. It's not nasty if you drink one with flavoring. My BF loves to drink the Chocolate Silk Soy Milk and he drink the Light Vanilla in place of regular milk.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I really like the taste of soy milk, but I've personally chosen to stick with cow's milk (skim milk).

I'd like to try some of the other milks sometime: almond milk, hemp milk, etc.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 181/169/140

Soy milk and cow milk don't taste anything similar. But I never liked the taste of cow's milk. As a kid it was always a fight with my mom to get me to drink the stuff. But I love vanilla soy milk in my cereal.

I recently moved to a place with a nearby dairy. I have discovered that very fresh cow milk (even when pasterurized) tastes much different than the stuff from the supermarket. I can drink the milk from the dairy without complaint. But I have to be dying of thirst before I drink the supermarket cow milk.
etznab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #24  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

We want to try raw milk. I think we will like it much better.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 AM   #25  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
We want to try raw milk. I think we will like it much better.
Don't, unless you know a place where it's always available; otherwise you'll never be satisfied by supermarket milk again.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #26  
Token Vulcan

I didn't even realize they made the Silk Soymilk in anything other than the refrigerated version. But a couple of days ago I went looking for almond milk based on what you guys said and there they were. I bought a chocolate Silk and also an almond milk with vanilla made by Pacific. I tried the almond milk, it's good. Tastes kinda like the vanilla soy.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote