Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Default Those who count calories

Do you think counting calories works the best? If I stay in my claorie range and dont cheat should I have good results. Of course I exercise daily too. Do you stop eating at a certain time of the day?
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

It works best for me. I have tried other diets. I can eat anytime of day, 6 times a day or 3 times day, eat anything I want as long as it is in range. I stick to 1200 to 1500 a day. Really uping veggies, which is something I wasn't that fond of, helps with being able to eat the occasional treat. There is no cheating with calorie counting because nothing is really off limits. You just educate yourself with how many calories are in the foods you want, and make a decision. I ahve lost 20lbs and 2 sizes in 2 months
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/215/185

Height: 5'1"

I truly believe that the only way to lose weight is to burn more than you eat. Counting calories is the best way to do this, because you know exactly how much you're eating, and you can eat -anything- as long as you make room for it. If I -really- want ice cream, I can eat a smaller dinner and lunch and save the calories for it.

I *try* not to eat after 10pm (I go to bed at midnight) but I get back from the gym at 9:00-9:30 and I'm always starving and need something to keep me until morning.
Aiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #4  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I have tried every 'diet', pill, plan, and whatever else you can imagine. The only thing that works for a lifestyle change (which is forever) is calories in and calories burned.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #5  

Thanks willow
I tried ww but never stuck with it, I need something different. I started putting my food intake on thedailyplate.com and that looks like its going to help me out a lot. I really want to be down 20 pounds by June.. If you have any other pointers I would really like to hear them. Thanks for responding so fast.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think there is no generic "best." You have to find what you find doable. Calorie counting, is one of the best places to start in my opinion (I think simple and straight-forward is the best place to start).

I ended up making my plan a little more complicated, because I had to, and that works for me. I use an exchange plan (which controls calories, as each exchange is very similar in calorie, and forces a bit more balance for me, as I tend to negect dairy or eat a fairly unbalanced diet, without a little nudge in teh right direction). I also try to avoid very high sugar or starch choices, because although I can fit them into my plan (and do on special occasions) they also tend to trigger an increased appetite and cravings.

I think, it's important to start simple, and only tweak if you need to. If simple calorie counting doesn't work well for you, you need to be able to determine why. Do you just need more practice, or do you need to pay more attention to where your calories are coming from (for example if you notice that you tend to stop counting and go off plan if you eat certain things - you can either decide not to eat those things, or decide to work harder at counting every bit).

Ultimately, calories are the "bottom line" of weight loss, but there's a lot of trial and error in the process. If your calorie range is set too high, you won't lose and if you set it too high, you may not have the energy to exercise or you might find it very difficult to stay on plan.

But don't worry about that stuff, yet. Just get started and see how things go. Just remember to give it at least a few weeks before deciding it "isn't working."

If stopping eating at a certain time helps you, then that's fine, but there aren't any fast and hard rules about that. It really doesn't matter when you eat your calories, as long as you're spreading them out to optimize your energy level (if you don't eat all day, so that you can eat at night, it's going to be even more important to count each one, because being extraordinary hungry could set yourself up for a binge).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #7  

Thanks, thats a lot of good info!!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/223/140

Height: 5'1

Smile Calorie Count

Hello I'am new here and I'am happy to find this website. I've been struggling to lose weight for 8 years now. Finally I had decided that I will lose weight this year and just take care of myself again. I had 2 boys back to back so all my time was spent taking care of them and also my husband. I let myself go
But anyway I got myself together and made an appt to see my Doctor. He put me in a 1200 calorie diet which consists of shakes and bars. I started last thursday (Feb 26,09) when I got weighed I was 227 lbs. When I came back yesterday (March 3'09) I was 223 I stayed with the diet never cheated or anything. It was tough and everytime I thought about eating food I just grab my water bottle and got myself busy. I know this is gonna be tough forawhile, I'am in this program for 6 weeks. I'am determined to lose weight and be healthy again So if anyone is in the same diet please contact me lets share ideas and infos that can help us get through this. Have a good one everyone!
mccfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 316/304/185

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone
I used this site last year when I was on WWs, but then gave up because of the holidays. I am back again and have decided to stick with the Calorie Counters.
I started my diet on Monday 3/2/09 and hope to stick with it for as long as I need too and I will need too for a long time. LOL
Please share any ideas you have to make the counting easier for dining out.
Thanks....
Tacklenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #10  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Calorie counting works best for me, because it gives me maximum flexibility. I'm a scientist by training, so that whole concept of calories in vs. calories out just makes sense to me. A lot of the other diets (food combination, severely restricting one food or another) just don't.

Tips for eating out -- I try to go only to places that have their menus with calorie counts online and pre-select my meal before I go. I pre-log the calories, and ignore the menu when I get there, so I don't get tempted into something else. I don't eat appetizers, don't eat from the bread basket, drink water or unsweetened tea, and save calories for a nice "on-plan" dessert when I get home. I tend to go for grilled/broiled chicken or fish with green salad and/or steamed veggies. Even if you can't pre-plan your selection, you can control calories by getting dressings and sauces on the side, and substituting steamed veggies for starchy sides. Be careful of the salads, they can be packed with bad stuff.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by MBN; 03-05-2009 at 09:47 AM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Calorie counting has worked better for me than any other methods--meal replacements, meal delivery systems, Atkins, Cabbage Soup diet, you name it. I love that there is nothing ruled out. It was a little daunting in the beginning but now I know the calories in most everything I eat--which is mainly whole food diet.

NOW HEAR THIS. It doesn't matter WHEN you eat. It matters WHAT you eat. Sure, if you break your calories up throughout the day it will probably be better for your metabolism, blood sugar, etc. But you don't have to. If you have 500 calories left at the end of the day and feel like a splurge--then have it. Go right to sleep after if you like. It won't matter.

Good luck.

Log your calories, drink your water, take a vitamin daily, stick mainly to whole foods, sleep 7 hours a night. That's the best advice I can offer.

Oh, and be sure to visit 3FC often. Surrounding yourself with others that have similar goals will pull you along!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Calorie counting has worked better for me than any other methods--meal replacements, meal delivery systems, Atkins, Cabbage Soup diet, you name it. I love that there is nothing ruled out. It was a little daunting in the beginning but now I know the calories in most everything I eat--which is mainly whole food diet.

NOW HEAR THIS. It doesn't matter WHEN you eat. It matters WHAT you eat. Sure, if you break your calories up throughout the day it will probably be better for your metabolism, blood sugar, etc. But you don't have to. If you have 500 calories left at the end of the day and feel like a splurge--then have it. Go right to sleep after if you like. It won't matter.

Good luck.

Log your calories, drink your water, take a vitamin daily, stick mainly to whole foods, sleep 7 hours a night. That's the best advice I can offer.

Oh, and be sure to visit 3FC often. Surrounding yourself with others that have similar goals will pull you along!
This is a great post. Listen to her. She knows what she speaks.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 316/304/185

Height: 5'4"

MBN, ThighsBeGone and canadianwoman:

Thank you all for responding to my post from yesterday. I will keep all of your suggestions and ideas in mind and some of them were really good.

I hope to get a bike this weekend so I can spend some time outside exercising. I really do dislike the one that just sits in a corner of the bedroom and doesn't go anywhere. It is so boring.

I am anxious to weigh on Monday and see how much I have lost.

I have another question: I weigh 307 and want to lose 2 lbs per week. What calorie range should I be looking at?

Thanks
Tacklenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Tacklenurse,

If I were you, I think I would start in the 2200-2300 range. With a little movement in your day you will create a really nice calorie deficit for yourself.

Canadian Woman, thanks.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #15  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

well I started at 306 and started with 1200-1400 and realized it was to low so I up'd it to 1400-1700.. and I lose just fine.. I don't' exercise very often though.. so if you plan on exercising I would say start any where from 1600-2000 and then go from there...
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote