Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #1  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tired

I already posted once today, and now I have another one. You ladies are quite helpful.
I started calorie counting just this week - (I'm 180 pounds, want to be 150, 5'6" and eating 1500 calories a day). I'm full, I like the healthy food I'm eating, I've spread it out so I can snack when I'm hungry, all that's good. But I'm exhausted.
I think the issue might be that I also quit smoking this week, which hasn't been that hard, but might have been my boosts through the day. I'm eating protein through the day and it's all healthy food... Any ideas besides coffee (I can only drink it happily with 100 calories of fat free creamer added
Thanks!
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hard to say, but changing your diet and quitting smoking at the same time
That's probably the cause for being tired, I would say! You could try adding a 100 or 200 calories a day, just to help you out.
I assume if you are eating healthy that you aren't eating nutritionally void foods like 100 calorie snack packs and such? Those can lead to tiredness from a blood sugar drop.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3  
Workin' It

Wow, that is a lot of big change all at once...

Are you getting enough protein? I'm always tired if I don't get enough protein during the day. It was even more noticeable when I was eating 1200-1500 calories. Lori is right on the 100 calorie packs - I used to eat them all the time and I always needed a nap afterwards.

And, I don't drink them myself, but DH swears by those Monster energy drinks - one can is 100 calories, 50 calories per serving. I drink green or black tea in the afternoon and find that usually gives me a little boost.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Did you stop the coffee with creamer when you started? You might just be going through some caffeine withdrawal. Make sure you getting good sleep. Some people also feel this way going off sugar. It passes. And if you've started a new strenous workout schedule, that can definitely fatigue you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #5  
Priscatip

Thanks guys! I think I'm good on protein, and my snacks are veggie packs and cheese and turkey. I haven't stopped the coffee, but I have cut down, which you're right, could definitely be part of the issue. I'm only having the coffee in the am instead of after work too. Maybe I should just make that one of my snacks.
It has been a pretty big switch, with the no smoking and the diet, but I honestly think the diet has helped, weirdly enough. Something to count and research and think about (and eat a veggie pack) instead of going outside to have a smoke. I'm going on a healthy kick for 2009.
I think ya'll are right, it's just a withdrawal kind of week and it will get better, and maybe my veggie pack should be wrapped in my turkey protein or dipped in bean dip or something. And maybe calculate in another cup of coffee. Thanks friends.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #6  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

I quit smoking when I got pregnant and it was so incredibly hard I can't imagine changing eating habits at the same time.

I think all of the suggestions the other ladies have said are very accurate. Make sure your body is getting not only the calories it needs but the nutrition, plenty of sleep, water.

When I started to move towards a healthier lifestyle I had horrible fatigue and headaches from removing all caffeine. I think the first week or two was the worst then it gradually gets better.

Now if I get coffee or a soda I feel a bit jittery but I have to give in every once in a while because I live right across the alley from a fabulous coffee shop so I wake up to the smell of espresso most weekends.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #7  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't have an answer in the tired issue - but I just wanted to say on such huge changes all at once.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #8  
Priscatip

Thanks Chick in the Hat! I feel like it's been pretty huge too, and no one (in person, I mean, you guys are great) has really given me a pat on the back for it, so I really appreciate that! I think I've been doing a really good job, and I haven't had a smoke in 5 days and I've lost 3 pounds (which is probably just water weight but it's way motivational)! Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Water weight, shmater weight. I did the quit smoking thing myself - ain't none of it easy. Rawk on, girl!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #10  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

WOW! I don't know you and I'm super proud of you! especially to quit smoking- that's soooo wonderful! you are on your way to being a very healthy lady!

your body is going through a huge shock- you are going to be extra tired- it will pass in a few weeks. I say indulge in the extra caffeine if you need an extra sup of coffee go for it- try tea- you can make iced tea and just add sweet n low or Spelnda and it's 0 cals! or maybe even an energy drink..

you could also try vitamins like ginseng, ginkoloba, just something to give you a little more pep in your step till your body is adjusted

make sure and get you 8 hours of sleep a night or more if you need I do better off of 9-10 LOL I love my sleep! and drink lots of water too! at least 8 glasses
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173.3/166.7/135

Height: 5'2"

Crystal light makes stick packs that have caffeine in them - I think that they are strawberry flavored and have like 10 calories for the pack, which makes 16 ounces. I used to use these when I needed a caffeine boost before I cut out all caffeine because I developed a heart condition.
janal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Are you exercising? I have tons more energy when I exercise everyday.

Congrats on your new lifestyle!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote