Old 12-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Question OK to take a break from exercise?

Hi all,

I have really been struggling with my new healthy habits recently. For me, it is always a back and forth thing. I have been working at this since August, and every day I wake up afraid that this will be the day I forget how much being healthy means to me.

Anyway. The struggle.

I just wondered if anyone else has decided to just take a break from exercise? If I can manage to keep calories between 1200-1400, I should still lose instead of gain. I'm not happy with the prospects of losing so slowly, but I'm really struggling with the exercise portion of this. To be honest, I started this new healthy lifestyle in August like an attack. And, I was able to maintain that "attack" mode mostly until just recently. Now. I almost feel like throwing in the towel, even though I've made progress. I know in two weeks, I'd be right back where I started, despite the fact that it took me four months to get here.

So, I've tried to give some background. But, the bottom line question is... can I just take a hiatus from exercise?

A couple of weeks? A month? I think that would do it. If I could just measure calories for a while, and not beat myself up about doing the exercise, I think I would naturally gravitate back toward it. For now, between teaching 8th graders and the winter blahs, I just cannot face the treadmill or the weights.

I value the wisdom and experience of the ladies here. I'll take your words to heart and let you know what I decide to do. Tonight, the choice is the treadmill or climbing under the covers with a good book.

The book isn't even that good and it's winning. *weak smile*

Thanks for any and all input.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Sorry you are having such a rough time.

Does it have to be all or nothing? It sounds like you have built a habit even if it's not one you really enjoy. It kinda feels like going backwards to quit a healthy habit. Aren't there other choices besides the dreadmill and weights?

Maybe mall walking? Or an exercise class at a community center? I'm figuring outdoors is kinda off limits in Ohio at the moment...
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 PM   #3  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I think you need to do what you think is best for you. Yes, it is better to take an exercise break for 2 weeks than to get so fed up with it that stop exercising and start eating everything in sight. If you need a break, take a break. You don't have to beat yourself up about it.
I think it's also important to find new ways to exercise and new goals to make. I think it helps a lot with boredom, and is also good for our bodies as we work different muscles in different ways. So maybe after a little break try a new exercise video, take a new class, try a new machine at the gym...try something new.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

If you don't feel like working out is what you want to do, then skipping it isn't the end of the world. The longer you try to force yourself, the more you'll grow to hate working out. What usually happens is that you will work up the desire and enjoy working out again when you're ready.

After all, the only thing that makes a diet succeed is the fact that it works for you! Just do what works for now, until you feel ready.

But keep in mind that exercise will make you feel better, and maybe help get rid of the winter blues.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #5  
No description available.

Life is what it is and sometimes exercise takes a back seat. I just try to remember that nothing sucks worse than GETTING into shape. Once you're in any sort of shape at all, it is easier to maintain that progress than to start over from step one all over again.

I always feel good after exercise. Maybe that will help you with your winter blahs. How will you feel after the treadmill? Better? Just do 5 minutes and then crawl under the covers with a mediocre book.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I don't like exercising myself all that much too. I have to drag myself to the Y everyday. Once I get going I'm OK.

I just started a healthy lifestyle so I don't know as much as others on here so they would know more how to stay motivated.

What about if you take a break from working out but do something else that might burn some calories like clean out the garage, clean out the attic, paint some rooms stuff like that? You would still be moving around and you would get a lot of stuff done.

Maybe by then you might be motivated to go back and exercise.

With me I've pretty much made up my mind I am going to work out at least 3 times a week for the rest of my life or as long as I am physically able. I really don't look forward to it but from what I have read (on here and other places) I am waiting for it to just become a habit like brushing teeth.

good luck!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! You say you started like an attack, so I'm guessing that you're trying to do too much. You can still do exercise without having to go overboard on it. It's not an all-or-nothing thing.

Do 20 minutes on the treadmill and some simple upper-body weight work, only 3 times a week for awhile. That would be my suggestion if you're burning out.

If you stop completely, you may find it's really hard to start again.

Anyway, if you're looking for permission to quit, I'm sorry to say you won't get it from me!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Why does it have to be crazy-hard working out or quitting? There is a nice, happy medium in between. I am with Jay though, you are not going to hear me say I think quitting all together for some "unspecified" period of time is a good idea. It isn't...and if you really thought it was, you probably wouldn't have asked us. Your lean muscle mass makes losing weight easier and working out you burn more calories, it improves your heart function, and you rev up your metabolism, and has lots of other health benefits and on and on and on. However, you could simply scale back. Walk on the treadmill for 20 or 30 minutes, less reps of strength training, etc. It does not require that you kill yourself every time you do it. Don't worry about hitting the so-called "cardio-zone" for a while and just move your body. The book isn't really that good anyway...and you could always read it on the treadmill.

Anyway, that is my two cents worth!
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #9  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

A change is as good as a rest so the old adage goes. Maybe you only need to change your workout to something else or at a different time. When I was teaching I used the school gym after school to jog around. Sometimes other teachers joined me and other times I did it alone. I also waked to and from school.

If you are totally burned out with exercise take a Christmas break for a couple of weeks while school is out and then start fresh in the new year.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/see tracker/154

Height: 5'8"

I totally recommend walking even if on the treadmill. You don't have to walk fast to get the benefits and I find it really relaxing. I live in the adirondacks and I am still able to walk outside most days and I not only find it refreshing I use it to daydream/think and just enjoy the solitude. Two 30 minute walks a day is great exercise if you are looking for a "break".
koolkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the others -- maybe scale back instead of taking an exercise break altogether? For me, exercise is a stress reliever, so it helps me stay on track diet-wise.

Sometimes, when I don't feel like exercising, I just commit to 10 minutes. That's it, just 10 minutes. Often, once I get going, I feel like continuing for longer. But 10 minutes is a lot less intimidating than 30 or 60 or whatever.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I have been following this thread and was curious to read the different responses.

For me, if I can continue to exercise, then I have some hope in reigning my food in (which has been particularly out of control lately.)

It seems that it the original post, the message of all or nothing rings out. As an all or nothing person, I can relate to that.

I cannot agree with the "so, don't exercise" point of view. But I very much support the thought that a little is way better than nothing. ANd that very little in life should be all or nothing (unless there are addiction issues, as I seem to have )

hang in there. feeling great is worth it
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 115

Height: 5'4

hi there

I went through a period where for 3 years I didn't do any exercise.I lost all of my muscle (that I gained through weight training) and started gaining lots of body fat. My clothes looked like crap on me but I was never happier! I ate what I wanted and didnt care what anyone thought. It was my withdrawal moment . If you feel that you need to do the same then do so! Take time off and when you are ready to get back into it you will. I just started getitng back into it and the results are coming back very fast.
Loe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/199

I agree with the middle road. I was like you- I either HAD to stick to my FIRM rotation or I did nothing. Now I do what I feel like, but my goal is to be active whether it's the FIRM, riding my recumbent bike while watching TV (great me time) or just vigorous cleaning. I feel better when I'm active- physically and mentally.
4me4mygirls is offline   Reply With Quote