Old 12-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/146/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default birthday cake allowance?

Hi all! I'm very new to this forum but extremely grateful for the support. I'm on day 3 of calorie counting... I've tried exchange diets for PCOS and the south beach diet before and found temporary success with both. I'm searching for something permanent.

But I wanted to just check in on this because I feel so much as though I'm cheating... my son's birthday was last evening. I saved up calories throughout the day to share in the birthday cake. This is certainly not something I intend to make regular practice... is this something I should be feeling guilty about?
pixie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

not at all! The best thing about calorie counting is you can have whatever you want, as long as you fit the calories in to your plan. You did perfectly- saving your calories all day so you could have some of the cake. That's what long-time counters would do! Congrats!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

No Guilt Necessary. Think about your calories like you think about your money. You can have it all - you just can't have it all, all the time.

You determine where to spend your calories. You only get so many but in moderation there is no reason anything has to be off limits.

The things that you want to monitor is that the exceptions are truely exceptions. I still have to check in with myself on stuff like this because when I am not totally focused, these exceptions start happening more often. No surprise that these moments seem to correspond when my weightloss is slowing and this is a signal that I need to refocus.

Sounds like you are doing well.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Don't feel guilty, especially if you like you said, you made room for it in your daily intake. Although we know cake isn't the best thing to eat, I'm a HUGE believer that sometimes you have to do eat what you shouldn't (Thanksgiving dinner, a special birthday cake, whatever.) I think if you completely deprive yourself of such things, it's not good. It can lead to binging or simply making a lifestyle change even more difficult. I think cheating should obviously be kept a minimum, but there should also be room for some in your new life style.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 146/146/130

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for the responses! Knowing me, the biggest challenge is making sure that it's an exception and not the rule as lorilove said.. today we still have this leftover cake hanging around and it is killing me. Whatever is left at bedtime is going in the trash.

Last edited by pixie76; 12-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.
pixie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #6  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

There's nothing wrong with the occasional treat. Remember, you're not on a diet... you're making healthy adjustments to your lifestyle. And a healthy lifestyle can include things like the occasional slice of birthday cake. Kudos for working it into your calorie budget!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:44 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie76 View Post
is this something I should be feeling guilty about?
Heck NO!! It was your son's birthday. If I could eat cake (I am celiac so I cannot eat anything with gluten) I would have done the same as you. Saved my calories and had a small slice to enjoy a very, very, very special day.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 AM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extasee58865 View Post
I think if you completely deprive yourself of such things, it's not good.
This is true. Very true.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:31 AM   #9  
Saving Myself

S/C/G: 199.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

As I type this I am feeling the same guilt. Today was my brother's birthday and I had some cake. I didn't go over my calories today, but I did go over on Friday when we had pizza and a movie to celebrate. I didn't go past my maintenance weight calories, but I'm still feeling the guilt. I know I shouldn't overreact because it was just one day. It was a special occasion, so I'm trying to focus on other things to get over my guilt. You saved your calories, which shows how dedicated you are!!
Angel's_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote