Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #1  

Cool How to count calories for my chicken

I took skinless/boneless chicken breast, put them in a crock-pot, did not add anything to them. When they are done I want to take my piece and weigh it on my nutrition scale. I have one of those scales where you punch in a code for that food and it will give you all the nutrition facts. I looked in my book to see what the code would be and here are my choices.....
Breast Meat Only Raw
Breast Meat Only Roasted
Breast Meat Only Stewed

Since it's already cooked would it be right of me to use the raw code?
I guess the reason I'm confused is because I know when I'm measuring veggies like cauliflower or broccoli, I always measure before I cook because the volume and weight is reduced, but I'm still consuming the same amount of veggie. So that is where I was confused with things like chicken.
I checked the codes by weighing another item just to see, and the counts are a lot different for raw and cooked.

Thanks!!
Cathy
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Huh. I can't imagine why the calorie counts would be hugely different - TDP has about a 20 cal variance between raw and roasted (w/out skin).

I personally estimate about 130 cals for a 4oz serving of boneless, skinless chicken breast. In whatever form it's cooked!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #3  

Thumbs up

Thanks PhotoChick
That's one thing about measuring using different ways of cooking.
I had that problem with cauliflower/broccoli, I would weigh it raw and get a certain # then when I would cook it, and re-weigh it cooked the calories, and carbs were a HUGE difference. Of course I liked the cooked counts better
But knew it wouldn't be correct.
I may do like you say, and just count it 130 for 4oz.

One other thing why I have your attention
Did you ever figure out the counts for 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels after they are popped? I have an air popper, I don't add any oil or anything, just 1/4 cup of kernels.

Thanks so much!!!
Cathy
Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #4  

I never did figure out any logical reason behind the difference in numbers, so I just use the 150 calorie figure.

Maybe someday someone will come up with the definitive answer.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I always measure raw, because the water removed/added depending on cooking method can alter the cooked weight so much.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Same with popcorn, by the way. The weight/measurement of something before you cook it is going to be consistent. The after-cooking/popping weight will vary based on cooking method (for example, older kernels pop with less volume, and popcorn with more moisture trapped in the kernel pops bigger). I just go raw weight and measurements so I don't have to worry about it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #7  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I personally estimate about 130 cals for a 4oz serving of boneless, skinless chicken breast. In whatever form it's cooked!

That is how I count my cooked chicken breast, as well. Must be pretty right... It is working.

The whole popcorn thing has me flummuxed. I just stick to the 100 calorie packs. That way, I don't have to worry about measuring or computing anything. Numbers make my poor little head hurt.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #8  

Another question about my supper tonight
I had bought a box of mixed grains, had some bulger, brown rice, and some other things. It was all natural, and I didn't add any thing to it except water to cook it in.
Here are the nutrition facts.....

Serving Size 2.0 oz(56g/about 1/3 cup dry rice-wheat mix& 1 TBS seasoning mix) makes 1 cup prepared

Calories 190
Total fat 2
Carb. 41
Fiber 5
Protein 6

My question is when I measure out a cup or 1/2 cup like I had tonight, can I use a measuring cup to measure out 1/2 cup, OR do I need to weigh it? And if I need to weigh it would I use the 2.0 oz or are they talking about 2 oz when it's in the dry state? Because I tried measuring out 2 oz when it was cooked, and it wasn't anywhere near one cup (at least it didn't look like it)

Sometimes trying to figure out all these labels can make your head spin

One other thing My mom had gotten me and the kids some homemade muffins from a lady, and wanted me to try them. They were very homemade, the lady even mills her own wheat to make the flour. They were very big muffins, had oats, flax, and other healthy ingredients in them. She had also made a homemade glaze to go over them. Well I shared one with my daughter, I only had half, maybe even less than half. I have no idea how to count the calories??? Should I just guess? I had almost 300 calories left over at the end of supper before I ate the muffin, so I think I am fine. I did not eat anything else after the muffin. And even if the muffin was 300 calories that would have brought me to my 1200 for the day. I need to stop stressing over it It was a healthy muffin!! And I've been at 1200 calories (or lower) everyday since Nov. 1st. I guess I just want to know the calories so I can put them in my Fit Day journal.

Thanks
Cathy
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #9  

Usually when it gives two weights like that and says one is dry and one is prepared, that means the first measurement is out of the box (e.g. 2 oz uncooked) and the 2nd measurement is prepared as directed (1 cup prepared).

So for example, the pasta I cooked tonight was 2 oz or 1 cup cooked - I measured out 2 oz of dry pasta and by the time it was done cooking it was a little over 1 cup in volume.

As far as whether you weigh or measure, that's up to you. I prefer to weigh, since it's more accurate, but I'm compulsive (as you know by the great popcorn quest)! There are some things that it doesn't make a difference in, and some things I've noticed it does. For example, I always weigh my peanut butter now, since it's easier to be exact. But I always measure out 1/4 cup of oats - since it's easier and faster and a few grams either way won't make that much of a caloric difference.

As for the muffins - unfortunately muffins are some of the most calorie laden "healthy" things you can eat. Flax is somewhat oily and has quite a few calories. And if the muffins were made with sugar (even cane sugar or honey or whatever), and had eggs in them ... plus the glaze, which would be practically solid sugar ... ! Add to that, you said they were big muffins, which means a 1/2 of a big muffin could still be the equivalent of 1.5 or 2 regular servings.

Even so, it's just hard to know w/out knowing exactly what went into them. I would say around 300 cals would be a good estimate for 1/2 a muffin.

One thing though, you said at the end of the day, you had extra calories left over, so with the muffin, that puts you at 1200 - that's not enough calories for you to be eating including your dinner!

That means that you only ate 900 healthy calories today and that fully 1/3 of your calories (and we're assuming the muffin clocks in at around 300) is a sugary glazed muffin.

If it's a once in a while thing, that's ok. But if you're regularly finding yourself below 1000 calories after dinner with room for a sugary snack, you need to add more healthy calories throughout the day. Ideally you shoudl never go below 1200 calories unless you're following a medically directed diet plan.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #10  

Photo Chick,

Thanks for always being so nice to respond to my e-mails!!! Maybe one day I can repay the favor

Here is what I had yesterday including the muffin

4 egg whites
2 Bocoa Sausage Patties
Ezekiel Sprouted Grain English Muffin

Soy Hot Dog
Light Wheat Hot Dog Bun
Mustard, Low Carb Ketchup

Celery stalks
Laughing cow cheese wedge

4 oz Chicken Breast
2 cups raw broccoli (steamed)
2 cups raw cauliflower (steamed)
1/2 cup Whole Grain Blend (like a rice and bulger grain mix)

Then came the Muffin

So I don't think I did that bad.
Here is my total nutrition count for that day.....
1373 Calories 23.1 fat 183 carbs 117.9 protein

I guess I could have gotten some fruit and almond milk in there (I don't do a lot of dairy except my greek yogurt)

Most of my days are with whole food type choices.
I know I need to get more calories in, I will try to sit down this weekend and plan out some meals.
Thanks again!!
Cathy
Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #11  

Here is my journal for the day before (Wed.)

4 egg whites
2 Bocoa Sausage Patties

Celery Stalks
Farmer Cheese (like cream cheese but lower in fat)
2 Veggie Spring Rolls (lighter version of egg rolls)

Orange

2 Cups Broccoli
2 Cups Cauliflower
Ostrich Burger (made at home, very low in fat and cal) taste just like a hamburger I love these!!!
Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bun
Mustard
Veganase

1 cup of Berries

Vitalicious Vita Top Muffin
1/2 cup Soy LF Ice Cream

Total counts for the day

Calories 1199 Fat 23.2 Carbs 174.0 Protein 80.4

I know it was below 1200, but I was satisfied and was not hungry for more.
I guess when I'm that close to 1200, I should drink a glass of Almond Milk.
Night,
Cathy