Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/149/135

Height: 5'5

Default Counting Fish Oil Suppliments?

I was wondering if anyone counts fish oil omega suppliments towards their calorie count for the day?
irishluck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Lol, I throw in all my supplements for 20 calories on my hand-scribbled list. I really use it more as a way of tracking the fact that I've taken them for the day.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You know, in terms of accuracy, you obviously should count them - they have calories, they are like any other oil, and they count toward your daily total.

Here's why I don't count them, though. I'm a calorie snob. Really! I am all about max pleasure for my calories, and taking a fish oil supplement? Not worth the calories. But I know I should take them, because I don't eat as much Omega-3 as I should. So I take them and ignore the calories, because otherwise, I'd be thinking "I could have cooked my 4-serving veggie dish in a tbsp of oil instead of taking these stupid pills" and then I'd never take them.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 09-17-2008 at 06:54 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use an exchange system rather than counting calories, but I also don't count my Omega3 capsules. I take 3 capsules daily, which is probably the equivalent of at least one fat exchange, but I never have counted them, like mandalinn, because I didn't want to be have a reason not to take them. Although there's no longer much risk of that. I'm taking them partially for the nutritional supplement, but mostly for the anti-inflammatory effects. I had to stop taking NSAIDS for arthritis pain, and I read some studies that Omega3 supplements helped many people reduce their need for NSAIDS, and my doctor said it was worth a shot to substitute the fish oil for my relafen. For the first month without the NSAIDs I felt terrible, but I'm doing pretty well now, so now I see the fish oil as "pain medication," but I still don't count them.

I think for most people such things really don't matter one way or another. If you go overboard with a list of things you don't count, it obviously could stall weight loss, but I don't thing that calculating the calories in your supplements and medications is something that most people have to worry about.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I count mine. But, that's only 35 calories for the 3 pills I take, so it's not that much. If I go 35 calories over I'm not going to stress about it.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Heh. I'm anal enough that I do count them. I also count my multi vitamins. But then by the time you add up the vitamins, the fish oil, and a few other things, it's nearly 50 cals. So I count them.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #7  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

I count it when I occasionally take a fish oil capsule, or a viactiv calcium chew, or a multi. I only take them when I feel I've been falling behind on those nutrients, and so counting it encourages me to eat better!
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #8  

I don't count any of my vitamins. Haven't even bothered to figure out how many calories they add up to. I figure I have to draw the line somewhere and this is it. Plus, I have a 200 calorie range that I keep to so it's all good for me.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I eat in a range too, my "minimum" exchanges for the day are those for a 1500 calorie plan, and my "maximum" exchanges make up an 1800 calorie plan, and I aim somewhere in the middle. When I reach a weight where I have to have tighter control, I'll consider more precise calculations, but for me I go a little nutsy when I'm too anal about "exact" calorie counts (which is why I chose an exchange system. When I count calories I tend to obsess over small calorie calculations, and I didn't become obese over small calorie miscalculations.) Before the internet, I would use three different calorie counting books, average their information, and obsess over which was "correct," then decide I probably should use the "highest count," basically spending 20 minutes considering a difference of less than 10 calories.

With the internet, I'm almost as bad, so for me a "short hand" method was more effective. The exchange system is still a calorie counting system, because each exchange has a very similar calorie count, but I don't have to worry about the miniscule mathematics.

For most people I think "simple calorie counting," is the simpler method, but I guess everyone has to deal with their own idiosyncracies.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Nope - for me...it's just part of my 'baseline' of life. Those thirty calories are just there and don't make a big difference to me. I have a range of calories I follow - so they are just 'in there' somewhere.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Heh. I'm anal enough that I do count them.
Ditto for me. In fact, that's the first thing I add to my FitDay every morning...my fishies (that's what my son calls it), my vitamins, and my water. It's part of my routine that helps me stay on track and reminds me to take them. (And, as far as water goes, it keeps track of how much I've had for the day.)
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheaded I am View Post
(And, as far as water goes, it keeps track of how much I've had for the day.)
I got really, really confused when I read that you added your water! That's kind of a cool idea though!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiem4994 View Post
I got really, really confused when I read that you added your water! That's kind of a cool idea though!
lol!
I've got so many "mental post-its" cluttering up my brain that I often lose track of how much water I've had, especially at work. I've tried keeping track on a scrap of paper, but it's actually easier for me to keep track of it on FitDay. I've got a 16oz mug on my desk, and every time I fill it up I add it to my total. Once I hit 60 or 80 ounces I generally stop counting, since I always drink more at home in the evenings. I just want to make sure I get my minimum amount of water in! I don't add ice tea or Diet Pepsi if I have them, since they're not an everyday thing and don't add to my calories.
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote