Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Default Questions about Cholesterol

I generally don't eat eggs that often, just because I'm usually in too much of a rush in the morning to prepare them. I am planning on having two scrambled eggs for breakfast today though. I put it into my daily plate, and with just the eggs, it says that I'm waaaay over my cholesterol for the day (497 mg). I know that a lot of people eat eggs regularly, but I'm just wondering about this high amount in just two eggs. Even with one, I'm almost over.

I figure once in awhile is okay, my cholesterol percentage is usually way under that recommended amount, but I was thinking about having hard boiled eggs more often because they are quite filling. I don't have any problems with high cholesterol, but I don't want to start any!

What do you all think of this?
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #2  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I think a lot of people use egg beaters or egg whites...but I could be wrong.
Good luck!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't worry about being over for a day....long term might be another story. If a blood test says you are ok...for me that would be the key indicator. I do use egg beaters when I have scrambled eggs - but I like a poached egg over toast in the morning on occasion.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #4  

Folks here, please correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that your cholesterol intake isn't any near as important to your body's cholesterol levels as your saturated fat intake.//
j45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

There are 2 books you really should read regarding the subject of cholesterol....Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes...and...The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick.

In the meantime, you may want to read this as well:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Eating cholesterol does not "give" you high cholesterol! In my opinion, you should eat the eggs! Whole eggs! They are good food.

The cholesterol question is very complex, and it has to do with heredity (some families have a high-cholesterol disease), stress, and too much carbohydrate, as well as animal fats. The drug companies would rather sell people a drug than have them eat correctly.

You could also read The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein. She is an endocrinologist who kept having heart patients come to her because they had developed diabetes after their heart surgery (and after having been put on a lowfat, low cholesterol, high carb diet by their heart drs.). She also discovered that they still had high cholesterol. She traces it all back to overeating carbohydrates, not getting enough essential fats, plus not getting adequate protein.

Here's another news flash: Eating salt does not "give" you high blood pressure! People who have high blood pressure need to watch salt intake, but there is not a causative relationship. High blood pressure is correlated with long-term stress and also obesity.

Losing weight in a healthy way is the best preventive for these conditions.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Sounds complicated...

I'll definitely check out the books, thanks for the feedback everyone!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #8  

One last thing. 'Organic eggs' are much better for you overall than regular eggs. What matters is what the chickens are fed. I was surprised when I learned this, but I guess it makes sense. If chickens are fed junk the eggs aren't nearly as healthy as they are when chickens are fed healthy food. And the eggs taste worlds better too!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote