Old 05-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Default How's my ratio?

Hey there, so I looked on fitday and my ratio for the past week of carbs/fat/protein is:
46/35/19
is this a normal ratio? Is this good? Any recommendations?
Thanks!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

It is not bad but on average your fat is a bit high. There are members that are successful with ratio's similar to yours so if it is working for you then I would stay on the same path.

That being said, the general recommendation is that you shoud aim for fat calories below 30%. I personally aim for 25% and typically average 22%. Your protein % looks good so if you were to decrease your fat%, I would expect your carb % to increase.

Keep up the good work! Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #3  

thanks for the advice.. We'll see how I do during this first week.. if I notice that I'm not losing much weight I think I'll play around with the ratio... yesterday we went to a sub shop to eat and we splurged and got their chocolate chip "cookie" it was huge... we ended up sharing it between us over yesterday and today.. but I think that added to the higher fat content this week too.. but It was very yummy!! LOL
Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

Remember this is about averages overtime - although I average 22% fat, I still have the occasional 44% day (Christmas) and the 9% day (that was just a weird day).

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #5  

the 9% musta been an odd day LOL.. that is true.. I guess I'm all new to this and when I had posted a ratio in the south beach diet they had heart attacks that fat shouldn't be that high.. that's why I posted here as I wanted to get a general idea..
Old 05-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #6  

I average 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. It has worked well for me for years. I am just a person who needs more protein and doesn't do well with carbs. So you need to find what works for you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

The US Gov recommends 30% fat, but the Mediterranean diet studies you've probably heard about generally found between 30-40% fat. Of course, that was mostly olive oil rather than meat, dairy and butter. Still, it shows that there are healthy cuisines that aren't low fat. Of course, a higher fat diet will seem like less food because it is calorie dense. Some find the fat makes them feel full with less, some don't. Different things work for different folks.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #8  

I also read a study that adding more Omega 3's helps reduce inflammation.. I have rheumatism.. and decreased inflammation helps a lot.. I think the combination of exercise, lower weight and more omega 3's will help me a bit. I have been feeling a bit better... But we'll see how the weeks go. I have decreased my intake of meats and butters.. I generally only cook with EVOO and have been eating fish more than other meats. today I had a hotdog, but that's the first meat I've had in quite a few days