Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Thoughts about my calories?

I thought I had this all down since I've been doing so well, but then I went and messed it all up.

When I started losing weight last year (I've lost 50 pounds so far), I put my calories at 1,450 to 1,500 calories and was (and still am) working out with cardio five days a week, and lifting weights three times per week.

However, that amount did not include a LOT of sweet tea I was drinking, which I've since calculated at 200-300 extra calories, at least, per day, to take my totals to 1,650-1,800 calories on an average day.

Like I said, I didn't take the sugar into account, until recently. A little more than a month ago the husband and I started using no-calorie sweetener, instead of sugar, in tea. And I kept eating around 1,450 calories per day. And I stopped losing weight. It only recently dawned on me that the lack of extra calories on top of that daily amount could be the culprit, sending me into "starvation mode."

I've calculated my daily calorie needs at 2,457 calories for maintaining my current weight. To lose one pound per week, then, I'd need to be consuming 1,800 to 1,900 calories.

Does that seem right to everyone else?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I think you should be still losing weight on what you are consuming. Maybe step up your exercise a notch or change something around. It's good you are no longer getting all that sugar.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

At 170 lbs, 1400-1500 calories per day, starvation mode seems unlikely...and BMR calculators are notorious for giving VERY high estimates of what you're burning.

If you aren't still losing weight, you may be plateauing for another reason...or no reason at all (you're the same height as me and when I hit 170, I plateau'd out for 6 months! My body just needed time to adjust to the new weight). Try moving your calories 100 or so in either direction, changing your exercise routine, etc for 2 weeks...it may help break that plateau!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
(you're the same height as me and when I hit 170, I plateau'd out for 6 months! My body just needed time to adjust to the new weight).
And again mandalinn and I are on the same wavelength. I'm shorter than both of you but have had the same experience!

I hit the 170s in early December. I resisted calling it a plateau for a while, but it's been 4 months now and I've hovered between 174 and 168 for the whole time. It's hugely frustrating, but I know I'm doing something right, because I'm not gaining back any of the weight I lost.

I actually just started the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women program, which has included raising my calories (by almost 250 a day on days I'm not lifting and 450 on days I am lifting) and am hoping that after I get past the first stage, it'll kick start something for me. I suspect I've been in an exercise rut and my body has adjusted. (I also have had work-related travel and food issues, as I posted elsewhere, and that has contributed.)

At any rate, I can't think that 1500 cals would be a "starvation" mode for you. But perhaps becuase you're not consuming so much sugar and caffeine (which will hype you up and rev your metabolism a bit), you're not burning as many calories naturally? (That's a guess, mind you, nothing scientific behind it.)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Thanks for the input! You're probably right about 1,500 or so calories being enough. After reading the comments, I'm thinking it may be more of my body getting used to its level of activity. The little gym I go to is very limited in its equipment, so I'm not sure what else to do....maybe add some walking/running at the track one extra day a week...or cut down to three or four days for a few weeks then jack it back up?

Your advice is appreciated!!!

Last edited by MindiV; 03-27-2008 at 12:48 PM.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote